Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2000, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default We had an intersting discussion going

We had a rather interesting discussion going in the "old boards" Celebrity folder. Let's see if we can pick it up here.

Topic was basically the value of negative posts and reviews?

My last comment was that I believed most people looked for balanced reports. I do believe everyone wants to hear both sides of the story.
We know that some stictly negatives posts can start the "flames", but I think generally most of us are interested in a informative discussion of other's cruise experiences; positive and negative.
Am I wrong? What do u think?

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2000, 05:43 PM
hdawson

Default RE: We had an intersting discussion going

Kuki, I agree about balanced and credible reviews. Of course if ABC cruiseline closes their pools at 3 PM, I DO want to read that. However am very suspicious of those reviews that criticize each and every facet of a cruise experience. Or those that talk about the awful food. Really now! How many of you have had awful or inedible food on a cruise? Actually, even the "old" Dolphin IV had very good food. I remember a thread a few months ago started by a lady that actually thought it was terrible that the chocolate on her pillow was dark instead of milk chocolate. And that was only the beginning of her "critique".
Old August 22nd, 2000, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Obviously, that lady didn't have a clue of what she was talking about - everyone knows refined pallettes prefer dark chocolate!

Cocoa rules: 70% + or bust!

hdawson wrote:
> I remember a
> thread a few months ago started by a lady that actually thought
> it was terrible that the chocolate on her pillow was dark
> instead of milk chocolate. And that was only the beginning of
> her "critique".
Old August 22nd, 2000, 07:49 PM
CrzLvr

There was one particular quote on the old board, that I found to be profound, I believe it was from Masonbarge.

>>It really disturbs me when a heavily negative review is met with personal attacks on the poster, from people who think that they know everything and therefore a review "can't" be correct."<<<

I would like to repeat something I pointed out, along that line, there are those who are manaical in their defense of Celebrity, and do not allow the slightest complaint to be registered against them. All is not PERFECT in the world or the cruise industry, and a person should be able to express their opinions, without being attacked or ostracized for speaking it.

Also, my point was to direct your complaint to the source of your problem, so that it can be attended to by the proper persons. If you are not sure who these persons are consult with those who could direct you. Be prepared to give them the details of your complaint such as date, time, sailing, cabin number, etc., all relevant information that pertains to your complaint. When possible, supply them with names. This is taking positive steps directed to those who are in the position to take corrective action.

There is a distinct difference between a negative post and a valid complaint. There should be an open line of communication on these boards. This is not a one way proposition. We can all share, the good, the bad and different opinions that we all have about our experiences, without being shouted down and being subjected to a feeding frenzy of supporters of Celebrity.

If we don't state our concerns, if we don't take actions, then we can expect to see the disintegration of service in Celebrity's performance. We are here to keep Celebrity honest and responsive.
Old August 22nd, 2000, 09:56 PM
sea lady

I have sailed twice withcelebrity Century to the Caribbean and Mercury to Alaska ... had 2 complaints... complaint 1... ordered a glass of wine at 3:45 pm and asked for snacks (goldfish etc).. was told that they wouldn't be available until 4m... wrote a complaint on my card and on my second cruise... snacks were available anytime... 2nd compalint.. the mait're d bothered us while we were talking and eating... now their motto is non obtrusive service....will let you know if it's true after my next trip.... otherwise everything was fine...
Old August 23rd, 2000, 11:47 AM
Mason Barge

To tell you the truth, Kuki, the biggest general shortcoming of professional reviews is that they pull their punches. I sure want to hear "both sides of the story", but I get some of my best feel for a cruise out of people who loved it so much they gush, or people who hated it so much they rant.

So where a professional might write "at 120 square feet, the cabins on the Dungeon of the Oceans are on the small side, and the bathroom and storage are barely adequate" an amateur might write "the cabin was so damn small my wife and I had to live out of our suitcases and stumble over them on the floor all week, and sit on the toilet to shower, which needless to say put us in a constant bad mood. When my wife got seasick this made the trip a living hell."

I certainly agree that balanced seems more credible. My favorite cruise line is Holland America, and I'm not about to omit, in the middle of my gushing, that the food is sometimes only okay and the shows can get downright cheesy. But unbalanced is good too.

The one thing I can't stand is personal attacks on people who post negative reviews. The "you must just be some sort of whiner" thing. I mean if someone writes that the food on the Horizon was inedible, and someone else has sailed it ten times and loved the food, all they have to do is post that they have sailed it ten times and it has been the best cruise food they ever had etc.

Anyway, IMHO having some negative posts really helps me pick out the cruise that will be the best for me.
Old August 23rd, 2000, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Mason Barge wrote:
>
>
>
>
> The one thing I can't stand is personal attacks on people who
> post negative reviews. The "you must just be some sort of
> whiner" thing. I mean if someone writes that the food on the
> Horizon was inedible, and someone else has sailed it ten times
> and loved the food, all they have to do is post that they have
> sailed it ten times and it has been the best cruise food they
> ever had etc.
>
> Anyway, IMHO having some negative posts really helps me pick
> out the cruise that will be the best for me.

Mason,
I absolutely agree that no one should be personally attacked for negative comments. Discussion is great.. attacks uncalled for!

When I write about a ship, I don't even call it a review. I call them Kuki's Cruise Reports. They're reports about my cruise experience, and there's nothing to say anyone on a later sailing, or even on the same sailing, would have the same experience.
Put enough people's reports together and u can get a pretty good idea of what to expect of a particular ship.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 24th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Mason Barge

>When I write about a ship, I don't even call it a review. I call them Kuki's Cruise >Reports.

Yeah Kuki, your Cruise Reports are great. I want to say that the whole attitude you project and the way you look at things is really helpful, aside from the information about the ship/destinations/etc. Face it, some people just know how to have fun . It is moreover a skill that can be taught and is contagious. Ya I'd rather have bad food than grumpy fellow passengers.

Still, I like to hear the negative reviews. Some really ticked-off person who hated a cruise can really give insight about a cruise.
Old August 24th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Well Celebrity offers both dark chocolate and milk chocolate.....
and lots of it if ya charm your cabin boy!!!!!!!
Old August 26th, 2000, 10:37 PM
sea lady

if there are 2000 people on a cruise... there are 2000 cruise experiences.. that is one of the most amazing things... everyone chooses different food.. different activities and different cabins... it is really hard to generalize about a good cruise and a bad one... if you have 20 ft seas .. everyone has a bad cruise... if everyone gets food poisoning... everyone has a bad cruise... but on the everyday situations it is mostly about the choices that you have made on board and how important details are to you..the main thing is to relax and enjoy... it's too easy to get caught up in the small things and get stressed... but I remember on Holland America (great line) people complaining because their favorite sprinkles were not available at the ice cream bar.... shows how relaxed (or not) you can get on a cruise... it seems to be the American way to get stressed... if there is no reason for stress... think of one ... like no favorite sprinkles... I wish all my problems were that simple!!!!!
Old August 27th, 2000, 01:01 AM
Admiral

I posted this link in another thread here as well, but think this article I wrote awhile back, has some bearing on this discussion as well.

<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...ectations.html >

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 27th, 2000, 01:03 AM
Admiral

Sorry, let me try that link again
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/Kuki/expectations.html>
Old August 27th, 2000, 01:47 AM
Carole Dunham

Of course we all get really up before our cruises and sometimes our expectations exceed what the cruiseline is going to provide. I'm as guilty of this as anyone. Also one person's idea of the perfect cruise is another person's nightmare. How to choose? Very difficult, especially when trying a new line. I'm very fond of the cruise experiences I get on both Princess and Celebrity. I've sailed both lines enough to be familiar with the cruise experience I'm going to get. Are the cruises perfect? How could they be. Any enterprise run by human beings is going to be imperfect. For me, I don't sweat the little imperfections as long as the overall cruise is good. I broke the Jones Act once and got off a ship in Key West after sailing it from Miami. Most expensive trip to the Keys I've ever taken, but soooo worth it. That was Fantasy cruises and it was years before I would try Celebrity since they are both Chandris Lines. A couple of years ago I read a review that a Frenchman wrote after taking a Fantasy cruise to the Greek Islands. It was as bad as my experience. But Fantasy and Celebrity are on two different planets. One other cruiseline still sailing in America is not a favorite of mine. I won't say which one it was but I won't sail it anymore. Only the Fantasy cruise was totally unbearable. The other cruiseline had things I liked about it, but in the balance, the negative topped the positive. Will I ever try any other cruiselines? Yes, and I'll go with an open mind. Positive and negative reviews are fine. Still, one that is all negative or positive is not going to impress me very much.

Carole/cruzdiva
Old August 27th, 2000, 06:03 AM
CrzLvr

Kuki:

Your article expressed my sentiments exactly. I remember, before de-regulation of the airlines, where everyone paid the same price for a flight on any airline to any destination. There were tariffs that regulated fares. At that time, you received hot meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner in flight. You did not have to wait any eternity for a bag of peanuts to be tossed at you with a vengence.

The same was true with cruises. You knew that what was advertised in the brochure was what it cost to cruise HAL or Costa etc. I remember getting the ultimate booking on a Seabourn Cruise for clients going on a cruise to Fuji. At that time, the total cost was $15,000, which was what we paid for our Starter Home in the late 50's. Now for that kind of money you can do European Itineraries that are extensive on ships capable of carrying a multitude of people in a cabin with square footage equal to many apartments nowadays. Is it relative? I don't think so. Is it dollar for dollar comparative as far as service and amenities are concerned? No, I really don't think so. We are getting more for our money, but less on the service end. Agents were permited months to map out arrangements for such a trip, comps would abound, from your booking agency in appreciation for your business, as a bottle of wine, of your choice for special occasions and first and last night out. Complimentary flowers and fruit provided by the agent.

You are fortunate today to have a T/A who knows you by sight, or a cruise line that has cabins onboard that sold for rack rate. What can you expect though is what your paid for. Those who paid an exhurbantant amount for a cruise, and there are those who do, got the same service, food, cabins as those who booked late and paid immediately at a reduced rate. Who should complain the longest and loudest? Who usually does complain the longest and loudest? It is usually the former and not the latter who remains quiet and learns a lesson, then proceeds to shop cruises. Ironically these are the persons who pay the cost of cruising and $ for $ get the least in return. What we used to call the bread and butter of the industry. When any Cruise Line looses the bread and butter of their line, they are left with the scraps. If this happens, what we know as cruising today will be Ferries between ports tomorrow.

Cruising was not mass marketed in days gone by, but a Luxury, aboard a Luxury Liner, the size of a glorified yacht. In order to keep it from becoming a floating fast food dispensary, we must pick and choose our lines that meet our individual tastes. If enough people do this and discern, evaluate and patronize those Cruise lines that provide for our wants and needs in a cruise, there would be less complaints and more satisfied cruisers. .