Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2000, 09:24 PM
sea lady

Default millenium dry dock

have gotten word from a reliable souce who was in contact with the big wigs that the millenium is not going into dry dock!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2000, 02:01 PM
hctjdc

Default RE: millenium dry dock

If not, what is going to happen in terms of the vibration problem they predicted (& announced) would show up stronger in carribbean waters?
Old August 24th, 2000, 04:02 PM
rvguys

Please check out the Newsfile by Cruise News Daily date August 22. The problem is very very minor. The report is very informative.
Old August 24th, 2000, 09:34 PM
sea lady

well got a call this morning from my "informed source" who checked with his wife.. said that the Millenium is indeed going into drydock... no dates but that the Infinity was "cool" for Feb 5.. sorry about the misinformation... couldn't wait to gt home to retract my bad information! just goes to show that the wife knows everything... lol
Old August 24th, 2000, 10:45 PM
cathyjane

In light of the article on CDN, I really can't give a lot of credence to reports from "big wigs" or "informed sources". These are the type of postings that put people in a frenzy. Unless it comes from an official representative/spokesperson of CCL or RCCL it needs to be left alone.
Old August 24th, 2000, 11:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I hate to add any fuel to the fire, but we heard the rumor about it definitely going into dry dock this morning, too. So we at CruiseMates called Rich Sasso, President of Celebrity and spoke to him today. He did not change anything from their previous statement of "We are still thinking about it." He did go out of his way to play it down as a procedure that is purely vanity and NOT a necessary item for the ship to sail safely in the Caribbean.

My take on what he said - he sounded a little too polished, but I can't say one way or the other what I think they will do. All I can say is this... I wish they would get off of their prevaricating ***** and decide one way or the other!
Old August 25th, 2000, 02:14 PM
hctjdc

Thank you Paul. Well stated! I think it is wrong for corporations to take these less than open positions, but look at the whole Firestone debacle. At least this issue appears to go to comfort not safety. Problem is, for folks like me, I have to request my vacation dates one yr in advance. They are almost impossible to change & changing plans (if necessary ) almost always results in a higher cost & less satisfactory arrangement . Ortherwise one would've made that selection to begin with as the first choice. My cruise is not until March so I'm hoping all will be well by then. But then again they may decide to try a few cruises & see how the ship does in the carib. before making a final decsion. That makes any sailing fair game down the road. I do however thank you & cruisemates for staying on this, holding our hands and finally taking the question to the top!!!
Old August 25th, 2000, 02:17 PM
Passenger

I hope you mean Feb. 3 for the Infinity. That is the date of the inaugural!

sea lady wrote:
>
> well got a call this morning from my "informed source" who
> checked with his wife.. said that the Millenium is indeed going
> into drydock... no dates but that the Infinity was "cool" for
> Feb 5.. sorry about the misinformation... couldn't wait to gt
> home to retract my bad information! just goes to show that
> the wife knows everything... lol
Old August 25th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We're trying our best, really. We like Celebrity as a cruise line, but this fence-sitting isn't helping anybody.
Old August 25th, 2000, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You'd think by now Celebrity would set the record straight and let us know, if and when Millennium will be drydocked?? Tim, any word??

Donnassei/Sealover
Old August 25th, 2000, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Well... I guess I must add my two cents... I still think it is a safe bet that the Millennium will go into dry dock just after her transAtlantic voyage... somewhere around the 16th or so of November. I would further guess that she'll be there for about 4 weeks. I'm not exactly sure what the "pressure" is for an immediate announcement. If my "hypothesis" is true, she'll be out of service during a LOW LOW LOW fare period and, true to Celeb's usually generous policy for those cancelled out of cruises, those who bought the Millennium at bargain prices will be well rewarded... and, have a great deal too boot! I'm sure we'll hear before too long. I think that Rick Sasso's comment is probably very close to the mark... the "problems" with the Millennium are not huge and many CL's might well opt to leave well enough alone. Time will tell.

Ernie
Old August 25th, 2000, 10:16 PM
sea lady

I first got interested in this when I tried to book a 2 day cruise in the Millenium for Thanksgiving... saw lots of availability on their web sight and called my ta (not the best) the next day... she tole me that it was sold out in the reasonable catigories ( couldn't see a suite for 2 days).. but put me on the waiting list... called a couple weeks later and was told that the wait list was cancelled.... called Celebrity yesterday in hopes that since we are getting closer that some group space may have been relinquished... and was told no space... when I asked if something may open up was told... no.... fits with the other information I have heard.. this is. If this is not anything dangerous... just a comfort thing... I can see them not making an issue... who wants to be on the last cruise before drydock.... who knows???? I have some other issues with celebrity not committing... like a transfer from San Diego to Ensenada... they may be overwhelmed or just disorganized... don't know... forgive my spelling or typing ...
Old August 25th, 2000, 10:29 PM
First Mate

Sea Lady, we booked the Thanksgiving cruise in May, and at that time, there were not very many cabins available. My ta told me that this cruise was sold
out back in July, maybe even before Millennium's first sailing. I hope they don't cancel, we are also booked for 11/26.
Old August 25th, 2000, 11:40 PM
cathyjane

My wife and I booked Millennium last January, on the 11/26 sailing for a category 2B and we picked our room, I think it was 7173. After about a month I was looking at the deck plans and saw that the category 3c was a much larger cabin and asked our TA if we could upgrade\downgrade to a 3.
She said that the Category 3's were taken for a group but would put us on the wait list because she thought they would open up.
Anxious as I was to have a Cat 3 cabin, I was persistent to see if in fact we would be able to have the larger cabin at the aft end of the ship.
In June, she told me that the waitlist had been terminated, meaning that the ship was full for that category.
I truly believe that the ship has been full for quite some time. I hope and pray that we will sail on her.
But due to these boards, CruiseMates, Cruise-Addicts & CruiseCritics, my wife and I have also made reservations on another cruise for the same dates
because it is our "anniversary" and we want to be sailing as we did on our honeymoon. We will be truly disappointed if it's not on the Millennium but will, make our anniversary the best on what ever ship we are on!!!'
Happy Sailing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 26th, 2000, 12:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

cathyjane wrote:
>my wife and I have also made reservations on
> another cruise for the same dates
> because it is our "anniversary" and we want to be sailing as we
> did on our honeymoon.

Bingo - THAT is why Celebrity should come clean one way or the other -- not everyone has the option of just saying "Okay, no cruise when I planned for it, but I'll just take a different date." A lot of people have to work, coordinate schedules with family members, arrange for baby-sitters, etc.
Old August 27th, 2000, 11:09 AM
LoveSaling

Just got off the Millenium yesterday. The crew have been warned of a possible "dry dock" of a months duration (between the Med. trips and the start of the Car. cruises).

Our "head waiter" said he is being assigned to another ship for the dry dock period. The crew is being given the option of going home for the month (and extending their contract from 7 to 8 months) or being assigned to another ship for the dry dock period.
Old August 27th, 2000, 05:44 PM
hctjdc

The plot thickens.. does anyone think March 2001 will be a problem? This is distressing because we would already like to be thinking about another cruise after March but are weighed down by wondering about this one....The cruisemates cruise to from Istanbul etc.on the new Princess ship in 9/2001 looks good .I don't think there have been any bad reports about the Grand so far other than it is big and this is a sister ship.
Old August 27th, 2000, 05:47 PM
hctjdc

oops. I forgot to ask Lovessaling--How was the trip on mill. esp on board services?