Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2000, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity Dry-dock Schedule

This is the official word from Celebrity ....

Celebrity Cruises has announced that it's newest ship, Millennium, will enter dry-dock during November and December, 2000, causing the cancellation of four cruises. The unscheduled repairs will necessitate the cancellation of the seven-night November 26, December 3 and 10, 2000 cruises, plus a two-night Nov. 23 voyage. Passenger on the seven-night sailings will receive a full refund plus a 50% discount on any future Celebrity one-week cruise. Those booked on the two-night voyage will receive a $100 credit towards a future Celebrity cruise.

A vibration had been detected in certain areas of the ship under certain sea conditions. This vibration has been linked to the design of the stern hull. Shipyard workers will use the dry-dock period to attach a buffer to the aft section of the hull, which will eliminate the vibration. Similar modifications will be made on Millennium's sister ship, Infinity, while it is still under construction at the shipyard.
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2000, 06:28 AM
Passenger

Default RE: Celebrity Dry-dock Schedule

We were to sail on the Infinity on 2-17-2001 to Hawaii. I emailed Celebrity to ask if the cruise was cancelled. They said the cruise was closed not cancelled. This seems like a prelude to a cancellation. Keep me posted for any other news.
Old August 31st, 2000, 09:38 AM
Tim Rubacky

Maureen,

See my notes under "Tim Question" about the Infinity.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old August 31st, 2000, 11:27 AM
Frank

So what do you say now??? I was pretty close. BTW. Another board is confirming the hull problems I told you about.
Old August 31st, 2000, 11:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to James Send a message via Yahoo to James

What do they mean by a buffer?
Old August 31st, 2000, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Frank wrote:
>
> So what do you say now??? I was pretty close. BTW. Another
> board is confirming the hull problems I told you about.
Frank,
U were indeed pretty close! Think u only missed it by a tranatlantic sailing. At least they've FINALLY made the "official" announcement, and it should be far enough out that those unfortunate enough to be effected should have time to book another cruise. And they'll have a 50% discount to use on their next cruise.
With the dry dock being set for Nov and early Dec they shouldn't have much difficulty finding another ship, and at good prices.

The few that possibly panicked to switch will have had peace of mind, but won't have the compensation to ease the pain

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 31st, 2000, 12:48 PM
Mary Lou Scanlon

Kuki,
When they say they will give you a 50% discount off next cruise....is that 50% off brochure rate? If so, then that isn't much of a deal. Isn't it true one can usually find rates at almost 50% of brochure anyway? Maybe not the case with a brand new ship......just curious. I'm hoping they are correct with their time frame for repairs...this is now getting dangerously close to my January 7 cruise. Thanks for the info.
Old August 31st, 2000, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Mary Lou..
The norm, I believe, is 50% off the best price u can find. I'm assuming Celeb will follow this procedure. If not, you're right.. it's no deal!

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 31st, 2000, 03:44 PM
Carole Dunham

They will give you a freebie on Horizon though.

Carole
Old August 31st, 2000, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Anne,
Thanks for the drydock information we've all been waiting to hear. So, its official now, good to know once and forever.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old August 31st, 2000, 05:59 PM
First Mate

OK, here's the scoop, we were booked on 2 cancelled sailings, 11/23/-24 and 11/26. I talked to my ta today, and we rescheduled the 11/26 for 3/18, with 50% off of the best rate, which is still $150.00 more pp,since March is a hight priced
sailing. We are not thrilled, but hey, it's better than nothing. The 2 night is another story, we will be given a $100.00 voucher pp, for any Celebrity cruise. Since Celebrity does not have 2,3,or 4 night cruises. and we were taking our kids,
our $500.00 voucher will be unusable, since we can't afford a 7 night for all of us.
I have written to Celebrity voicing my complaint, and asking that they let us use this voucher for a Royal Carribean 3 night cruise. Will keep you posted.
Nancy in Ft. Lauderdale
Old August 31st, 2000, 09:39 PM
Brandon

The 50% off voucher is good for 50% off the best deal you can find (& I believe it can be honored until March of 2002).

My wife & I were scheduled on the 12/3 cruise. I was in contact w/ my travel agent first thing this morning & she was already working out my options. We ended up getting on RCCL Enchantment of the Seas for the same dates/same price. The itinerary is almost identical (Ocho Rios instead of Calica) & our room was significantly upgraded. In addition, we are still getting the 50% off voucher for a future Celebrity cruise. All in all, I'm pretty pleased. We'll definitely plan to use the voucher on the Millineum or Infinity once the problems are remedied.
Old August 31st, 2000, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Brandon,
Gosh, that sure worked out great for you, although sorry you won't be on Mill in Dec. Glad everything worked out well for you and you'll still be able to (some day) get on Millennium or Infinity, should be worth the wait. Meanwhile enjoy Enchantment, we have a couple of CM hosts going on this next weeks cruise, so we'll hear all about it soon. Take care.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 1st, 2000, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info. My family were disappointed about the cancellations. We are booked on the 12/10 and 12/17 Millienium east and west cruises. Since they only officially cancelled the 12/10 cruise, what is the possibility of them having more delays that would impact other later cruises in December? We are thinking about bailing on the 12/17 cruise now because we wanted a back to back cruise. Also we don't want to be on the first cruise out of drydock and their their first cruise in the Caribbean. I'm glad we are booked on the 5/1 Infinity cruise from SF to Alaska. Hope things go well.................