Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2000, 11:48 AM
Babette

Default Celebrity Cancellations

Now that it has been announced "Millie" will be going into dry dock to fix her stern hull problem, how will this apply to the yard scheduling for Infinity and Summit???
If done during the actual construction process, would it take a shorter amount of time or about the same? Anyone hazard a guess??? Tim???????
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2000, 12:04 PM
Frank

Default RE: Celebrity Cancellations

My guess is that they will NOT start the fix on the Infinity until they see if it works after the MillennIum dry dock work is complete. I for one would not book one of the first 2 cruises on the Infinity unless I was looking for a discount when they cancel one.

Tim... is this "preposterous" also? Or do you find it "amusing" too. BTW.. modern cruise ships are built in modules that drop into place. Review your 8-13 post.
Old August 31st, 2000, 03:27 PM
James M. Perry

Your answer sounds like sour grapes to me Frank!! I went back into the archives and pulled up Tim's August 13 post. He said the following were untrue and preposterous:
1) The Millennium's keel was broken,
2) The problem was thatMillennium's modules didn't fit together, and
3) Celebrity was sending the ship back to Chantiers.

All three statements by Tim have been borne out. There is nothing wrong with the keel, the problem has nothing to do with the fit of the modules, and the ship is going to Newport News not back to Chantiers.

As I recall, you were the person who assured us that it had positively absolutely been decided that the transatlantic cruise was being cancelled and the ship would cross the pond with only staff aboard.

I think the record clearly demonstrates whose voice was more reasoned in this dis cussion. You owe Tim an apology.

James M. Perry
Old August 31st, 2000, 07:40 PM
Tim Rubacky

Actually Frank,

Technicians from Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock will be flown over to Chantiers next week. Once the Seven Seas Mariner is flaoted out, the Infinity will be brough back into the drydock to have her hull re-contoured at the stern.

If Chantiers waited until December, when Millennium is back in service, this would not allow enough time for the work to be accomplished as she is shceduled to be handed over the second week in January.

By accomplishing the work on Infinity first, this will allow the shipyard to run the IN through a set of trials post refit to see if this corrects the problem. If not, it still allows enough time to re-do any of the work prior to the Millennium entering drydock and still allows Infinity to enter service on time as they are simply tackling the finish out work on her at this point.

And, I find none of this "amusing" as many people have had their vacation plans cancelled or altered due to this unfortunate set of circumstances.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old August 31st, 2000, 10:08 PM
Frank

Tim:

You did call my post "preposterous" and "amusing" in the most condescending way. Ann and everyone else at cruisemates have always been first rate and judge all posts with the same professional quality. You do not. Re-read your snide post towards me on August 13th. I am still waiting for that apology.
Old August 31st, 2000, 10:17 PM
Frank

You must be kidding or can not read. Try re-reading MY post.
1. The ship is being fixed in the United States, as I stated. NNS shipyard.

2. The vibration is the result of a keel problem, as I stated.

3. The module issue had nothing to do with the vibration/keel problem. My post was also discussing other reasons for the plumbing and water leaks on the ship.

My only error was that they ultimately decided to continue the TransAtlantic cruise.
Old September 1st, 2000, 01:21 AM
Carole Dunham

I would suggest that you don't hold your breath.

Carole
Old September 1st, 2000, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Frank... regretably, most of your suppositions, guesses or speculations have seemed to be just that... and have been wrong from the start. For one, cancellation of the Transatlantic or any part of the Europe season was not in play, almost from the very start. However, I do recognize your right(s) to your opinion(s) and surely the right to post them in this forum. I too hope to see a level of civility in these parts that leads to refined discourse on subjects of interest to us all.

>
> .
Old September 1st, 2000, 10:11 AM
rvguys

If you watched closely what Celebrity was doing with booking, you could tell that they were trying to get a date in a yard to dry-dock the Millennium. They have two (2) chooses, a yard in the USA or France. I think they wanted to make the transatlantic sailing and arrive in NY with a large fanfare. Can they find a shipyard with an open date for dry-docking?

Newport News Ship Building was my first thought for dry-docking. They could also use Norfolk Ship Building; they have handled some RCCI ships.

There were some comments about not having dry-docking facilities in the USA for this size vessel. The USA does. Newport News Ship Building built the SS United States but is famous for building aircraft carries for the Navy. USA has other yards that are capable for dry-docking this size of vessel.

If they were to use the French Yard, the ship would not have made the crossing. I do not thing it would have been economical to sail to NY then sail back to France and then after dry-docking back to Fort Lauderdale.

When Newport News was suggested earlier and this and other MBB, some thought Newport News was Navy. It is not. Please see posting from other MBB.

"Newport News is a private yard owned by Tenneco used by Carnival. The yard in Norfolk (Berkeley section of Norfolk not Norfolk Navel that is in Portsmouth) is a private yard and has been used by RCCI and Carnival. I was born Norfolk and raised in Virginia Beach. Spent most years 12 through 25 on the waters of Tidewater."

The ship will be in the states in superb yard, well know for its ability and hopeful they will be able to do the job in a timely and with quality.
Old September 1st, 2000, 11:49 AM
Tim Rubacky

Frank,

I did not single you or any other person(s) out. Frankly, I didnt even make note of the persons from which they came and was not making judgements or statements abut those persons. I was speaking of the (mis)information that many people had been given and pointing out how humorous I found many of them.

I was also making an attempt to calm some of the people down who had been driven into absolute panic by the many, many rumors and rampant speculation.

In all due respect, I fail to understand your fixation with all of this. It's not a contest or a game and there are no winners and there are no prizes. And I'm also very sorry that you feel you are owed an apology.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old September 1st, 2000, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tim: Appreciate you comments re both Mill and Inf. My TA reports that Celebrity
is not taking any more bookings on Inf until late Spring. Sounds as though the
booking we have for Mar 24 is in jeopardy. While understanding the indefinte
nature of completing the ship, it seems that Celebrity has a real PR problem if
they wait too long. We have vacations and air reservations to consider
Old September 1st, 2000, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Lew... Tim's comments with regards to the sequence of events concerning the Infinity and Millennium are exactly correct and, frankly, represent the situation accurately as it stands today. There really is no threat, at this moment, to any Infinity sailing.

It is really frustrating to watch rumor build on uninformed rumor in these precints... causing undue concern for lots of people booked on ships whose sailing dates really are not in jeapordy!

Ernie
Admiral

Lew... Tim's comments with regards to the sequence of events concerning the Infinity and Millennium are exactly correct and, frankly, represent the situation accurately as it stands today. There really is no threat, at this moment, to any Infinity sailing.

It is really frustrating to watch rumor build on uninformed rumor in these precints... causing undue concern for lots of people booked on ships whose sailing dates really are not in jeapordy!

Ernie
Admiral

Ernie