Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2000, 11:42 PM
First Mate

Default cuisine?

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise and are a little worried that the food might be too gourmet. Is this the case or will we find plenty of food choices to select from, that are not too wierd????
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2000, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: cuisine?

Peter..
Not to worry! I'm a meat and potatoes guy myself, and have done just fine on Celebrity cruises.
At the same time, u can feel a little adventuresome if u like. Try something new, if it doesn't suit u just tell the waiter and they'll bring a replacement choice.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 12th, 2000, 03:45 PM
Mary Lou Scanlon

Kuki is absolutely correct. There are plenty of choices on Celebrity's menu. Don't be afraid to try something new, you might be surprised. I've tried food on Celebrity that I would never ordinarily try and everything has been great. Like Kuki said, if you don't like it, they will get you somthing else.
You can check out the menu a couple of hours prior to your meal time. They post a copy of the menu outside the restaurant. If you find you don't like ANYTHING on the menu, you can always fill up on pizza in the afternoon, lol. We had a young girl at our table on the last cruise that was very pickey. She ordered things that were not on the menu and they made every effort to get it for her.
I think you will be very pleased with Celebrity.
Old September 12th, 2000, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't be concerned that the food will be too gourmet. As a matter of fact, it was pretty much standard and is no longer the food that Celebrity was once known for their upgraded food, we did not find that so on the Millennium.
Old September 12th, 2000, 09:21 PM
hdawson

Peter, for an idea of the menues check this out. http://www.jeffs.net/menu-frames.htm
Old September 12th, 2000, 11:13 PM
Babette

No, not at all. Actually, most of their menu is just fancy copy writing. Their fancy sounding pork dish.... turned out to be braised porkchops, with onions, brown gravy and baked apple bits (as opposed to apple sauce)..

Their menus I' ve found to be humdrum. Presentation is nice though
Old September 13th, 2000, 02:26 PM
dawnyelle

Doesn't sound all that hum drum to me Of course im a busy mom of three putting at least 10 + meals on the table a week for my family ! Not much time for braising
Old September 13th, 2000, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

dawnyelle wrote:
>
> Of course im a busy
> mom of three putting at least 10 + meals on the table a week
> for my family ! Not much time for braising

That's the nice thing about cruising, lots of time for braising and "Grazing".. <VBG>

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 14th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

The food is wonderful on Celebrity. Yes, there are some different things to try (such as cold fruit soups, usually one each evening), but the basics like steak, prime rib and lobster tails are there as well. Enjoy!
Old September 14th, 2000, 08:26 PM
James M. Perry

I'd like to respond to Babette's observation that Celebrity's "menu is just fancy copy writing" and her illustration with the pork dish.

Of course she's literally correct,but the observation establishes nothing. The same is true of any "fancy" restaraunt. Great cooking involves using excellent ingredients with skillfull technique. However, any recipe can be deconstructed to show that a few basic techniques were applied to regular ingredients. Its the mastery of HOW the chef does those things that matters.

I haven't experienced Celebrity yet, so I don't know what my opinion of the quality will be. I do know that some cooks can prepare pedestrian pork chops while others can transport me to bliss with essentially the same thing.

James
Old September 15th, 2000, 11:24 AM
George in NY

Peter, Worry not! You will not have a problem finding plenty of things to eat. I exist on pizza and hamburgers at home but also eat in some real fancy restaurants at times. Celebrity provides some interesting presentation dishes but standards like steak appear on each menu. You will also have a variety at buffets and always the standard hotdog/hamburger and pizza offerings at lunch. You don't have to worry about not knowing what you are eating

George in NY - a mickey dee's afficiado that never went hungry on a ship
Old September 16th, 2000, 10:43 PM
Babette

And pedestrian it was.