Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2000, 12:39 PM
LovetheSea

Default Millennium Broken Down????

I just read on another cruise site message board, that the Millennium has broken down by Palma and is being towed to the ship yard. Is any of this true? I can't find any info? Has anyone heard anything ?
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: Millennium Broken Down????

LovetheSea wrote:
>
> I just read on another cruise site message board, that the
> Millennium has broken down by Palma and is being towed to the
> ship yard. Is any of this true? I can't find any info? Has
> anyone heard anything ?
I haven't heard anything YET. Although I did see a single post referring to this on the rec.travel newsgroup.
One of the problems with the speed news travels on the "Net" is the ease with which rumors flourish! One post and everyone runs to SHARE the news, whether they know it's TRUE of NOT! Must be something about wanting to part of a "scoop". We prefer to know the facts before we share them!

While I'm anxiously awaiting word on this, I wouldn't start panicking until it's confirmed by a reliable source.
IF it did break down by Palma, it may in towed back to the pier..when the post says "being towed to the shipyard". That leaves me kind of suspect, but it well could be some well intentioned poster trying to help.
Hopefully we'll know the truth soon!
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 26th, 2000, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

there has been another post on the same board that there is also a Millenium "ferry" in the med... sources are checking these rumours out.. noone should jump to conclusions unless verified by reliable sources...
Old September 26th, 2000, 02:59 PM
James M. Perry

I know Kuki and the Cruisemates gang will let us all know the truth, whatever it is, as soon as it can be discerned. It's the reason this my favorite cruise board.

James
Old September 26th, 2000, 03:36 PM
dawnyelle

I have emailed my brother but who knows when he will read it it is around 9:30 ship time.... He emailed me 10 am ship time yesterday and everything was fine....
Old September 26th, 2000, 03:50 PM
Admiral

dawnyelle wrote:
>
> I have emailed my brother but who knows when he will read it it
> is around 9:30 ship time.... He emailed me 10 am ship time
> yesterday and everything was fine....
Thanks Dawnylle...
Hopefully he'll check his mail. I would think he certainly would write u if there was a problem.

Regards,
Kuki
Old September 26th, 2000, 04:39 PM
ANGEL8

I spoke with my friend yesterday and he said everything was fine. He had called me 1:30 P.M.EST. I wonder what happened. I'll let you know if I hear anything. I hope it's not serious....we only have 2weeks left!!
Old September 26th, 2000, 05:01 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Wayne

I found this on RTC.

Hi!

I *can* verify that the Spanish high-speed ferry "Millenium" was involved in a
collision with a yacht two weeks ago, and it had to be towed back to Palma de
Mallorca (please see my September 15th column "Cruising & Beyond" in "Cruisin'
" or "CruiseReviews.com").

I *cannot* say anything about Celebrity's "Millennium".

Regards from Germany,

Raoul Fiebig
Old September 26th, 2000, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Wayne wrote:
>
> I found this on RTC.
>
> Hi!
>
> I *can* verify that the Spanish high-speed ferry "Millenium"
> was involved in a
> collision with a yacht two weeks ago, and it had to be towed
> back to Palma de
> Mallorca (please see my September 15th column "Cruising &
> Beyond" in "Cruisin'
> " or "CruiseReviews.com").
>
> I *cannot* say anything about Celebrity's "Millennium".

First off, have to thank Raoul for the post on rtc.
Certainly eery how close today's post parallels Raoul's earlier story, but U never know......
If it turns out to be true no one will ever call ANYTHING Millennium ever again, and I'll start calling The Psychics Hotline ! <G>

Regards,
Kuki
>
>
> Regards from Germany,
>
> Raoul Fiebig
Old September 26th, 2000, 08:30 PM
LovetheSea

Didn't mean to panick anyone! I read the original post on Cruise Addicts message board. We are booked on the Millennium in January. Thanks Kuki for finding out more about this!
Old September 26th, 2000, 08:30 PM
LovetheSea

Didn't mean to panic anyone! I read the original post on Cruise Addicts message board. We are booked on the Millennium in January. Thanks Kuki for finding out more about this!
Old September 26th, 2000, 09:10 PM
AR

Please people, until and unless you have something to say that has some fact checking behind it ("I read it on another cruise board" does not qualify! Nor does "everything was fine yesterday"), try to refrain from being the first kid to post the latest rumor. This is exactly the kind of nonsense that gives the Internet a bad name. Look, if anything's really wrong with a ship, credible news sources will get it to the proprietors of this site within 24 hours and they'll tell us about it.

We generally don't need to know any sooner than that.

If you don't have facts, please refrain from spreading the musings of others.

Thank you.
Old September 26th, 2000, 09:28 PM
cathyjane

This is just about as much fun as all the speculation of Millennium's drydocking!! However, this one probably has much less credibility than the previous one. Future cruisers pre and post drydocking shouldn't be concerned!
Old September 26th, 2000, 09:52 PM
First Mate

AR, what give you the right to be so high and mighty? What harm did LovetheSea's message do to you? It is people like you that gives the internet post a bad name. Before you come along, everyone else was just fine dealing with this particular subject. In fact, I thought it was quite fun that someone eventually figuered out the real story.

Pat
Old September 26th, 2000, 10:08 PM
Carole Dunham

Relax Pat.Not worth getting upset about. Besides do you remember, "Judge not that ye be not judged?" It's a great way to live.

Carole
Old September 27th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Ahmen!!! (But don't count on it!)
Ernie
Old September 27th, 2000, 09:07 AM
AR

Pat:

I can easily answer your question.

I don't have the time or the inclination to slog through inaccuracies and speculation about inaccuracies. Perhaps you do. I occasionally look at this board because we're taking a Celebrity Cruise in a few weeks and, naturally, any valid information is of interest. After our cruise, I will undoubtedly stop looking here until we cruise again. I'm sure that will please you.

To me, the Internet is a practical tool to uncover accurate, useful information. Sorting through various forms of gunk is a price I must pay to do that. Occasionally, I get frustrated with the gunk. It has nothing to do with being high and mighty; it has to do with why I come here. I do not find it fun opening a bunch of essentially useless posts to try to discern whether there's any substance to what seems a silly rumor, but one that, if true, could have a serious impact on my upcoming vacation.

No one is well served by rumor mongering. If you want to see how a mystery comes out, read a book, watch a soap opera or see a movie.
Old September 27th, 2000, 09:22 AM
dawnyelle

Some of us have cruises scheduled in the near future and we want to know if something may or may not have happened!! If you don't want to read it then skip it! Maybe a BULLETIN BOARD is not the place for you ! Maybe you would be happier with a few books! Im sure you can find enough info on the internet so you dont have to bother with these boards! No one was rumor mongering! They were worried and knew that here, they could get the answers they needed! They look out for each other here and wanted to make sure that we all have all the info. If later it turns out to be inaccurate, then wonderful! If it hadn't been I sure would have wanted to know asap!

Dawn
Old September 27th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Mason Barge

<<I don't have the time or the inclination to slog through inaccuracies and speculation about inaccuracies. >>

[rest of rant elided]

Oh hush. She said it was a rumor. If you don't want to read about it, close the thread. Personally, I had already heard this rumor and was happy to find out about the Spanish ship of the same name, which is obviously the source.

BB's and Usenet are perfect places to post rumors so that a knowledgeable person can read it and say what is going on.
Old September 27th, 2000, 10:50 AM
ANGEL8

Right on Dawn!! Many of us have saved up a great deal of money and have valuable time put aside from our careers to take this fabulous trip. I have been booked for the October 13th sailing since March 2000 and would not like anything to spoil my trip. I understand that problems occur, but also would like to know if something comes up....rumor or not.
As it was said before, the boards are here for everyone to post their opinions and thoughts....let's not be critical people!
Old September 27th, 2000, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Just a reminder here. The message boards are for a FRIENDLY exchange of information.
Does anyone like to hear rumors which aren't true? For sure NOT!
However, it happens, and just has to be taken in stride. The fact we have somewhere to go to discuss the issues, learn the facts, and eventually track down the truth is what's important.
These discussions should NEVER be made personal. Everyone is entitled to express THEIR opinion here, and no one should be personally attacked for posting it.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 27th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Mary Lou Scanlon

Herre, here!!!! Very well said (wirtten)!!
Old September 27th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Mary Lou

Okay, not so very well written on my part.......what I meant was:
Here, Here....very well said (written)!!! lol
Old September 27th, 2000, 01:14 PM
James M. Perry

I want to defend LovetheSea. She specifically said she was repeating a rumor and asked if it could be verified. That's one of the things these boards are so good at - separating rumors from tips.

In the past I have been VERY critical of people who passed on rumors as facts. That is a very different thing. LovetheSea never said Millennium was broken down, she only said she'd seen a report. I'd also seen that report and was concerned. Without LovetheSea raising the issue with people who knew how to check it out, I would have been very worried about my imminent sailing on Millennium.

Thanks to everyone, including LovetheSea, for getting the facts out.

James
Old September 27th, 2000, 01:21 PM
dawnyelle

Thanks Kuki!

I'm sorry if I was too personal in my post! I truly appreciate getting all the info on this site good or bad! I know rumors will be squashed quickly. They are usually presented as just that, a rumor! We usually know when a rumor is untrue. At the least, if it turns out not to be, we won't be in shock! : ) : )

Take care everyone,

Dawn
Old September 28th, 2000, 03:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank You Kuki!!!
This is exactly why I enjoy these message boards!
Ashley
Old September 28th, 2000, 12:11 PM
LovetheSea

Sorry if I upset anyone! Thanks Jamesand others for your support. Anyone else going on the Jan.21, 2001 sailing on the Millennium?
Old October 10th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with this email!