Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Yeoman

Default Lost on an excursion to Rome

We just returned from a 13 day cruise on the Millennium. We were with the Gail and her husband when being left behind in Rome. The bus would not wait. We had to run 2 miles to the front of the Vatican to find our husbands (I'm 62) and my husband who had a quad bypass two year's ago had to run back two miles with us to the bus terminal. Just as we got there the very last bus was ready to take off.We were separated by the group because of large crowds, pushing and shoving in the Sistine Chapel. This bus was only there because it was running late. We begged to be taken back to the ship and they did have room. We arrived one minute before the ship was ready to leave. On top of all that we were refused a full course dinner because they said we were late 7:10 p.m. Dinner is usually at 6:15. That morning it was announced that the Metropolitan Restaurent would open it's doors at 7:00 p.m. However, it never happened that way.
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default RE: Lost on an excursion to Rome

I am glad you are home safe & sound. Sorry to hear about your purse being stolen. Keep in touch.
Old September 27th, 2000, 10:11 AM
gail adler

The biggest point here is that the whole time we were lost in Rome we were with a Celebrity representative who also was not told where to meet. She was just as lost as we were. We thought we were right to stay with her. She was even holding the lollipop with our tour number on it. If even the Celebrity representative was not given instructions, then how can we be blamed for also losing the group.
And she told us that if we went with her and our husbands stayed where they were that the busses would pick them up if we found the busses. We never would have left our husbands if she had not assured us that if we found the group, they would come for our husbands. All the bus had to do was go to the beginning of the tour, the entrance to Sistine Chapel to pick them up. It's not that we didn't know where they were; they were on the tour route. Many times during excursions the busses waited 5 to 10 minutes for late people. It would have taken but 2 minutes to pick up our husbands. It is hard to believe people can be so cruel. We were told that people on the bus were telling the busdriver and and our excursion director to leave us there. We did not purposely leave the group!!! I'm sure the Celebrity rep didn't purposely leave the group either. Also, the Celebrity rep told us that she was told that where we were with her is where she was told we were supposed to meet. How can people accuse of us of not paying attention and getting separated if we were with the Celebrity rep. In fact, it was me that finally found the busses, not her. She's lucky she was with us. She was totally lost and upset. She was afraid of losing her job.
Old September 27th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It certainly sounds as if there was some chaos going on, and I'm sure it was quite tramatic for those of you going through it.
This all sounds very out of character for Celebrity's handling of the situation. I hope that U and your TAs follow up on all of this with Celebrity Cruise Lines, and please let us know how it works out.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 27th, 2000, 03:24 PM
gail adler

We did file a complaint on the ship and we both got 20% off on the excursion. We were not looking for money off on the excursion; all we wanted was some sympathy for how we were treated. When I called Celebrity when I got home and told Customer Service about what happened, she told me we should be happy we got 20% off; there was no concern for the distress we were put through; an apology would have been nice. She said the situation would be looked into; I certainly hope it is so this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Old September 27th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Bern

Celeberity has to get it together, were you there for the after Paris buffet fiasco?, also we got on the ship at 8:00 the dinnig room was closed, even though we had second seating which is usually at 8:30, nothing was available but room svc, at 10:00 we went up to eat couldnt get near the buffet let alone find a table. I feel so cheated this cruise was run like a Carnival cruise, but it certainly was not Carnivals prices, hope your recuporated from you Rome fiasco.
Old September 27th, 2000, 08:18 PM
Carol & Gene

Thanks for your concern.
Old September 28th, 2000, 10:30 AM
gail adler

After spending three days in "wonderful" Paris, I am still not recuperated from what happened to us in Rome. It was totally uncalled for. It was great meeting all of you at the Net Buddie Meeting. We went to D-day beaches instead of Paris as we were going there to Paris after the cruise and had done the excursion to Paris last year on Splendour. Our friends Carol and Gene went to Paris. I can't differentiate the Paris fiasco with all the others; just one after the other.
Old September 30th, 2000, 01:29 PM
Carol & Gene

Thanks for getting back to me. We aren't complainers normally. Was just a little disappointed. However, the trip as a whole was fantastic. We just felt so helpless with no one to speak for us or help us when we had a problem.