Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2000, 08:57 PM
Don S

Default Millennium March 11 Sailing Cancelled

Today I was notified through my TA that Celebrity cancelled all reservations for this sailing as it has evidently sold all of the cabins to a charter. Celebrity offered a $150 per person shipboard credit (wouldn't cover a decent shore excursion) for the inconvenience and the customer relations desk indicated that if I wrote a really nice letter, Celebrity MIGHT reimburse me for the cost of my air tickets being credited back to my FF account.

Is this type of cancellation common? I've never heard of this before. I presume the info from my TA is accurate.

I'm trying hard to not feel insulted for being told my booking is less important than another customer's. I've got nothing against a company trying to make a buck, but this seems relatively late to yank a sailing. My booking was made several months ago when the first brochures were mailed. I recently was on a Celebrity cruise in Alaska and no mention of this was made.

Oh well...
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2000, 10:38 PM
First Mate

Default RE: Millennium March 11 Sailing Cancelled

Don, so sorry to hear about the cancellation, we are on the MIllennium the followign week (3/18), we were cancelled from 1/126 due to drydocking. This happened to me once before, 3 years ago on NCL Leeward 3 night cruise. A south american chartered the ship for the dates we were booked, and we got a $100.00 cabin shipboard credit. It wasn't terrible for us since we live in Ft. Lauderdale. Hope everything works out with a new date and you have a great cruise.
Old September 27th, 2000, 10:53 PM
dawnyelle

Hi Nancy! I saw this post and wondered if it was your dates! I couldnt remember specifics. Glad its not! Imagine being bumped twice! Sorry it happened to you though Don!
Old September 27th, 2000, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hi Don,
Unfortunately these charters do happen from time to time on all cruise lines. Not that your booking is less important, but that they're selling the entire ship, and NOW as opposed to seeing how it sells.
It's a shame when it does happen... but look at the bright side, what if the group had taken only half the ship, and while u were on they dominated many of the public rooms for private cocktails parties etc. Think that would make u crazier. Hope your TA has time to find U a nice replacement cruise.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 28th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Jessica

Dear Don,
Last year I had a client on a ship that was sold 90% to a religous music group. Boy oh boy did she have a terrible time. Entire parts of the ship were closed off and the passangers who weren't in the group felt like "second class citizens". The cruise line was not at all sympathic, and tried to peg my client as bigoted. What a mess. I know you're disappointed now, but believe me it would be worst to get there and find out. Jess
Old September 28th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Nancy, have been browsing the entire net looking for information on the Millie, My Husband, and myself, and two friends are booked on the Millie for the same cruise that you are booked on. Nice to have someone that is going on the same ship and hear about it this early. Whe are very excited about the Millennium, we are yearly cruisers and sailed on the Century last year. We are booked category 2C right now but always book with the "Where Ever You Want To Put Us" but from what I understand she is going to be sailing full, probably because of the Charter the week before.

Would love to hear from you if you would like.
Old September 28th, 2000, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Don S,
Yes, have heard of that kind of thing happening every now and then. Its usually some big VIP or company that needs the whole ship. Gee, wonder who booked it?? Sorry, about the inconvience you're going through, hope you find a different ship equally as good, good luck :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 28th, 2000, 07:54 PM
hctjdc

Well, this was the last straw for us & the Millennium. We booked our March 11th cruise months & months ago so we could have a mid-ship cabin w/balcony. We made our work schedules around it and made tentative plans to meet with friends who live on Grand Cayman. We almost booked our own air but fortunately held off. At this point the other less convenient dates have NO comparable cabins available; only ones in the rear (the area of vibration) or ones that have been noted on this board as less desirable either as to location, obstruction, noise from the spa, etc. We decided that fate was telling us to try another ship this time out so we have switched to a different itinerary on Mercury to make use of the credit. We will definitely not be dealing with Celebrity in the future! For a line that everyone claims is so superior, it sure has not impressed us that way especially as far as cutomer respect goes. Anything to make a bigger buck! At least now we don't have to sweat the repair saga. Good luck to all who are sticking it out!.
Old September 28th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Hi Hctjdc,
Sorry to hear about your troubles trying to cruise on Millennium. If its any consolation, have heard many people extremely happy with their Mercury cruises.
Hope it all works out for you and glad you had at least some time to make other arrangements, good luck and happy sailing.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 28th, 2000, 10:05 PM
Don S

Not a bad choice - the Mercury is a great ship if you've not been on it. This was the only week we could go without kids missing school. Even if we wanted to stay on Millennium on a different sailing, nothing was available for the remainder of the season in our cabin category.

We're booked on the Grand Princess in a mini-suite now which frankly doesn't generate the same excitment for us as the Millennium. Has anyone been on this ship? Good? Great? Fantastic?

I hope Princess works out, but I have this feeling it is going to be slightly inferior.

I must admit that I'm disappointed in the poor customer service exhibited by Celebrity, I had the illusion that being a frequent cruiser helped more in these types of situations. Their land-based customer services makes the airlines look good. Very surprising, as we've NEVER had poor customer service on board.
Old September 29th, 2000, 07:22 AM
Mary Jean

I know exactly how you feel. I was booked on the Century for a cruise March 25,2000 which was chartered. The thing that really upset me was that Celebrity did not notify me, I found out from an internet friend in December 1999. I personally know of 4 people in various parts of the country who were not notified by Celebrity. We received the same compensation - $150 pp. We wrote letters and did not receive anything additional. I still feel that we were not properly compensated for our inconvenience and Celebrity's lack of responsibily. At least you were notified by Celebrity. I have to admit I am still a Celebrity fan (although not quite as avid as I used to be) because I think they run a great cruise, but their customer service stinks!

PS We were told on our rescheduled cruise that Microsoft had chartered the Century last year and parked it outside of New Orleans
Old September 29th, 2000, 09:15 AM
cathyjane

Don S wrote:
>
> Not a bad choice - the Mercury is a great ship if you've not
> been on it. This was the only week we could go without kids
> missing school. Even if we wanted to stay on Millennium on a
> different sailing, nothing was available for the remainder of
> the season in our cabin category.
>
> We're booked on the Grand Princess in a mini-suite now which
> frankly doesn't generate the same excitment for us as the
> Millennium. Has anyone been on this ship? Good? Great? Fantastic?
>
> I hope Princess works out, but I have this feeling it is going
> to be slightly inferior.
>
> I must admit that I'm disappointed in the poor customer service
> exhibited by Celebrity, I had the illusion that being a
> frequent cruiser helped more in these types of situations.
> Their land-based customer services makes the airlines look
> good. Very surprising, as we've NEVER had poor customer service
> on board.

Don S., We are booked on the Grand because of our 11\26 cancellation on the Millennium and we are actually somewhat more excited to be on the Grand. Since our booking on her I have researched and read a lot of reviews and read a lot of boards and have found that a generous number of people find the Grand superior to the Millennium.
Our first cruise was on the Mercury and we were devoted to Celebrity from that time on,.however, our devotion diminishes with each cancellation and disappointed customer. It's really a big let down after planning a cruise month after month, crossing the days off the calender until you sail only to have it cancelled months before you cruise. We feel for those of you being cancelled-----once again!!!
Old September 29th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Hi Cathyjane,
You've got the right additude about this upcoming cruise on Grand. Its too bad about all the trouble with Celebrity, glad you can look forward to this cruise and not let the little things disappoint you. I'm sure you'll have a great time, enjoy.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 29th, 2000, 10:54 AM
TinaLee

Was the Millie doing Eastern or Western Caribb? For all of those who don't opt to try a different Celebrity cruise, or who aren't sold on the Eastern Caribb, we'd welcome all the company we can find on the Western Caribb Sea Princess sailing on 03/10/01. We are going for our daughter's spring break. If anyone decides to try this cruise, let me know as I'd love to meet some "crusie mates".

To Don - we have done the Grand and she is a beautiful ship. I'm just not crazy about mega ships and I didn't care that much for the Eastern Caribb itinerary, so we opted for the smaller Sea Princess and going West Young Woman this time out.

I hope everything works out for all of those who have been inconvenienced by the charter, but like someone else said, better to be canceled than to be the only "non convention" members on the ship - what a drag!!

Tina
Old September 29th, 2000, 11:49 AM
hctjdc

Thanks for all the sympathetic support. When we booked Millie I spent much time researching ports on W. Caribb. cruises(as we did not want to re-visit Jamaica ) and were trying to hook up w/ friends in one port. As you all must know, the excitment & anticipation start to build as the time gets closer.. Then all of a sudden plans must be changed quickly. However, now we are psyched about Mercury (which we always htought we'd lke to try & at least we know the ship works! Although this is an eastern caribbean itinerary we don't even really know all the ports yet because the brochure we had & Webpage have some differnences as to places & times.(our TA, who is wonderful, is checking) But it seems they may have given the better slots to the Millenium E. Caribb. At this point we were determined to change our luck w/ a dif. ship so wherever Mercury goes we are lookng forward to a lovely vacation! After all although it wasn't what we originally expected we are still lucky to be enjoying the good life!
Old September 29th, 2000, 08:56 PM
sea lady

The Mercury is a great ship... sailed on her to Alaska... awsome... but I think that the customer service and line policies with RCCL/Celebrity are horrible.they have great ships and itineries but if they can't get their act together in the office... it will be a problem...$150.00 for a canceled cruise is an insult !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially when it is only a credit... real value $75.00 at most!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 30th, 2000, 11:18 AM
First Mate

Marsha, tried to e-mail you, I got a notice it was returned, some problem with your address. Please e-mail a corrct address, would love to talk. Where are you from, etc. PS Happy & Healty New Year.

Nancy
Old September 30th, 2000, 11:45 PM
Passenger

We were also notified that our cruise was cancelled. Sort of makes you feel like chopped liver. We booked this cruise 11 months ahead--guess early booking is just a marketing scam, as is their Captain's Club perks, and their Save the Waves campaign etc etc.
Old October 2nd, 2000, 01:15 PM
hctjdc

Sorry Willie to hear you were cancelled too! So what are you doing instead?. We chose Mercury, as I previously mentioned because all the good spots on Millie were taken. Now we will actually come out ahead as the new cruise is less expensive for a comparable cabin (different ports though) and will apply the credit. It was unsettling because we were already planning our next cruise but had o go back to square one with this one. . Now I think we will wait and compare reviews from Millie (W. Carib) , RCI & Princess for same trip Although we always thought early bookng would get the cabin you want & the best price, I'm wondering if it isn't better to wait a bit. Some of the prices actually go down as the cruise gets closer. Good luck with your new pkans.
Old October 6th, 2000, 10:17 PM
Passenger

You will not be disappointed with the Mercury. We were on it this past March and loved every bit of it. At Calica, the Xcaret park is a good excursion, but if you want to swim with the dolphins, get there early.
We are booked now on the Century with 6 of an original 20 people that were booked on Millie. It is interesting that when we contacted Celebrity head office to complain, they said they chose Millie to sell to a private party because it was lightly booked for that week. However, at the time of our booking(eleven months prior to departure), they told us they could not accomadate the 20 of us at the late seating(we did not want a table for 20, just that we were all close together). The reason they gave was that the ship was almost fully booked!
The only reason we are going on Century is that of the choices we had for that week(we are restricted to that particular week), this was the best. So our group is making up T-shirts which will say " Hi, just call me chopped liver, Celebrity does !!"