Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2000, 01:42 PM
Cruisebill

Default A Quick Survey: Days at Sea or in Port

I was scanning some other boards last night and I found this topic.

I think it would be interesting to the other people on this board to hear our fellow cruisers opinons on what they like best and why.

So what's better Days at sea or Days in a Port?????
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2000, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Default RE: A Quick Survey: Days at Sea or in Port

I choose to cruise because we like both. Days at sea on the first and last day of a cruise are the best. First day forces you to relax and unwind to get ready to enjoy your total cruise experience. This past cruise I decided to try to stay out of the sun (former sun worshipper) and take in as many activities and cocktail parties that were offered. It was great. The last day of a cruise at sea, also let's you catch up, do the things you have not had time for and to re-pack leisurely. When in ports which we have not been to before, we try to balance half day with all day tours which might include a nice local lunch. If we arrive at a nice little beachside port, we often choose just to take our own self guided walking tour or hire a local taxi. Good balance and planning. We make trip preparation a full time research project and are very prepared to visit wherever we travel.
Bon Voyage
Old October 4th, 2000, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In the Caribbean I'm a sea days kind of guy for sure! Love to sit out on deck all day, and enjoy the ship's night life.
Itins such as Alaska, Europe, etc. the ports are more the destination.

Regards,
Kuki
Old October 4th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Karynanne

I agree with Kuki, it depends where you are cruising...Carribean makes me feel lazy and kicked back...Europe, more hustle and bustle and places to go! I love that cruises give you choices. Our next choice is 10/29/Mercury/Panama Canal. Can't wait for that one...only 4 ports in 14 days..truly a laid back relaxing trip.
Old October 4th, 2000, 03:49 PM
LMKohler

I love the days at sea -- however, you don't find very many cruises with more than two days at sea. Next year we are taking the Mercury on a ten day cruise to the Western Caribbean and then to Costa Rica and Columbia. That cruise has four days at sea and we can't wait.
Old October 4th, 2000, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

As much as I enjoy all the "sea" days, I still like to see the ports. We try (if possible) to get a tour in first thing in the day and have the afternoon free to either find a nice beach or just go back to the ship and relax by the pool. I love doing the southern Caribbean itinaries, but they can be very port intensive, usually 1-2 sea days the whole week. The best remedy for that is to go down a day or 2 early and catch up from the air travel and be ready to cruise.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 4th, 2000, 08:16 PM
Rixnsd

After last years cruise on the Triumph wich was a hustle bustle type cruise we dicided to go this yr Nov. 12 Mercury out of San Diego to have more of a sea daze cruise. We then can enjoy all the ship has to offer. Kerryann :-) you will be getting off when we will board . We are excited for this years trip to really unwind. Rich and Heather
Old October 4th, 2000, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry

Hi Karynanne,
Just got back from this cruise on Sunday. It was absolutely wonderful. A lady named Gitte has posted some pictures from the cruise on cruise-addicts.com, chose the photo gallery and I think it's called something like Mercury-Trans-Canal. Just a brief sampling. I will always have wonderful memories of this cruise. It was very relaxing. I'm still trying to recover from it being over. Have a wonderful trip!!
Sherry
Old October 5th, 2000, 10:06 PM
AR

And let's not forget that it's easy to turn a port day into a sea day if that's what you want to do. Just stay on the ship.

Bonus: You have a lot of facilities more or less to yourself because so many people are ashore.

This is sometimes especially practical in the Caribbean, where so many have cruised repeatedly.

AR
Old October 6th, 2000, 12:15 PM
First Mate

I tend to like the Port days; they say 'curiosity killed the cat'......especially if it is a new port or one I LOVED on a previous cruise. My husband adores the "at Sea" days and can't get enough. And, maybe, that is the joy of cruising -all the choices! I just returned from an Istanbul-Barcelona cruise on the Grand [Princess] and it was my first cruise in the Med. Dick chose NOT to go, so I went with a VERY congenial group from here of 45 people. We had 2 days in Venice -probably the most beautiful city in the world; I LOVED that and wandered down alleyways and shopped little places off St Marks Square VERY happily - but, my roommate had a 9 hour Tuscany tour out of Livorno, it was raining [ the only rainy day!] so I decided to just stay on board and putz; I read, had breakfast with a friend, saw the movie of the day, did a washload & had a tour of the bridge! And I must admit it was one of my BEST days - I adored my roommate but I'm used to more time alone at home after working for almost 40 years, and entertaining myself; and I "needed" that kind of a day!
For the MOST "at Sea" days, a repositioning cruise usually fits the bill; my husband and I are happily going on the Noordam in late November from Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale -6 at-sea days IN A ROW!!!!! Repositioning cruises or oftern listed in Panama Canal itineraries as ships head to or from Alaska in the spring & fall -or European itineriaries as ships "do their thing" and head back here for the winter/Caribbean season.......but, you all KNEW that; Right? Anne
Old October 10th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've been on about 14 cruises and I love the days at sea. No one to bother you and (if you choose) nothing to do. It's great! Ports are fun if you haven't been to them or if you find new and interesting things to do.
Old October 10th, 2000, 10:52 PM
Admiral

The days at sea are very relaxing. You can sleep later not having to be bothered standing in line to get off the ship, etc. What I call "enjoying the ship experience" is the best part of the cruise. Days in port can be too hectic.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 09:07 PM
chellie

I love and adore days at sea for their restfulness. one can do whatever. ofnothing. here, iam drying my hair on deck in preparation for dinner. We had eight days at sea during panama canal crossing and relished every one of them.