Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2000, 12:17 AM
First Mate

Default Millennium Deck Chair Availability ...

How are the deck chairs (around the pool) handled on the Millennium? Are "No Saving" rules enforced?

On our last cruise (Century) we found you could never get a chair. There were announcements instructing passengers not to save chairs ... but by 9:30 AM there wasn't a chair to be had ... and there were very few people around the pool. All you would see was a sea of towels and books saving chairs. We would see chairs go all day long without people showing up to use THEIR chairs. Even with the rules, Celebrity didn't seem to take any action to enforce them.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Default RE: Millennium Deck Chair Availability ...

Steve, since the Millennium has been sailing Europe on its inaguaral schedule, this probably has not been a problem yet. There was no mention of "saving chairs" in the Daily on our cruise 9/9. On the first day out it was a beautiful day at sea. The first day at port the weather was absolutely perfect. I found a chair at about 3:30 p.m, but it wasn't easy. I did find that people are very inconsiderate and didn't remove wet or used towels which they have put onto the chairs when they leave even in the Aqua Spa pool area. This is a large ship, but just like on other ships this problem of chair saving will probably need to be addressed no matter what.
Bon Voyage.
Old October 19th, 2000, 02:22 PM
First Mate

Default Clear the chairs ... blame it on the passengers!!!

It seems the cruise lines do not want to make any waves :^) …

I am sure they do not want to deal with the following confrontation: someone comes down from their suite to use the pool … the book they had left on the chair early in the morning is stacked with the others on the bar. The nearest staffer would have some explaining to do ... after all ... they paid for that chair!!!

How about have the cruise director blame it on the guests!!! At the welcome aboard meeting the cruise director simply states that based on feedback cards from prior cruises the staff will be clearing the chairs that guests have saved … “sorry, this doesn’t come from us … this comes from your fellow passengers.”

I would applaud such a statement (& action).

Steve
Old October 19th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Ted

Default RE: Clear the chairs ... blame it on the passenger

Saile on the Millennium from 9/22 - 10/2. The first eight days had perfect weather. There is an adequate supply of deck chairs. What is lacking is sun space around the main pool. If you count all of deck 10 and deck 11, you will have no problem getting a deck chair. The pool staff continuosly removes towels from deck chairs. Saving them must be accomplished with property such as books, cruise bags and cover-ups. Those who do that do not encounter any resistance from the pool staff.

As with other ships property appears in the prime locations prior to breakfast on days at sea. Some inconsiderate cruisers (I'm being diplomatic) do not arrive to occupy their saved deck chairs until 10:30 or 11:00 a.m. They always arrive with an attitude. I choose not to engage with them. Far be it from me to ruin my vacation due to the lack of manners or proper upbringing exhibited by these cruisers who think that paying their cruise fare gives them vested property rights to the exclusion of all others. The Millennium has plenty of deck space and plenty of chairs. Deck 11 is availalbe at all times and deck 12 at the bow always has chairs and a great view.
Old October 19th, 2000, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Steve,
I too would applaud the statement and actions like that. Wish some cruise lines would start a program just like that and see how it goes. This happens to be my major cruise gripe Thanks for your input.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 19th, 2000, 07:02 PM
James M. Perry

This is always a hotb topic on these boards. I'm not a pool person so it doesn't really effect me personally except that anything that causes bad feelings effects everyone.

I'm writing to quibble with something Steve wrote. He said the hypothetical suite passenger "paid for that chair." I disagree, unless that chair is located in his suite or on his verandah, he didn't pay for it anymore than any other passenger.

I may offend some people with this statement, and if I do I'm sorry but it's how I feel. It strikes me that a lot of the lack of civility in this world is created by people who think that becvause they "paid" for something, that they now have the right to expect everybody else to cater to their every whim. Anybody who books passage on a cruise ship buys the right to a cabin in the category they paid for and to be treated like everyone else whenever they are in the common areas. People on cruiseships, like people everywhere else in this world still have an obligation not to violate the rights of others while pursuing their wishes. An awful lot of the complaints expressed on these boards would evaporate if more people would just remember the Golden Rule. And contrary to the popular joke, I don't mean "Those with the gold get to make the rules."

James
Old October 19th, 2000, 11:07 PM
TWOFER

Default RE: Millenium Deck Chair Availabilit

There is also a cruise gripes page on thiis site, It is under the pull down for prctical advice. Several inputes on this same subject.
Old October 21st, 2000, 06:55 PM
Alex Skabry

Well said James. Civility seems a lost effort around a cruise ship in most situations, where guests fear they will "lose" some valuable opportunity if they don't deny someone else the same. How absolutely petty people can be.

I am reminded that a gentleman is someone who never offends unintentionally, and realize that most of my fellow guest never rise to the station.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 05:14 PM
Stevesan

Don't quibble James. I think Steve was just using a bit of sarcasm to make his point. You're both right.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 08:19 PM
James M. Perry

Yes, I can see the sarcasm. The type of person who is so unconcerned with others that he "saves" a chair all day is exactly the kind of person who would blister the cruise staff about how he had "paid" for that saved chair.

He would probably also post to this site about how rude the staff was as well without supplying the details.

James
Old October 24th, 2000, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I was just on the Millennium, and discussed this issue with the Hotel Manager and Cruise Director. The deck attendants are now instructed if a deck chair is unoccupied for half hour, then towels are to be removed to open up the chair. If there are belongings they are to be removed and turned in to the guest relations desk.
They are very aware (through message board posts) that this has become rather a major irritant and are taking steps to deal with it.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old October 25th, 2000, 11:06 PM
Dawnyelle

It looked to me like folded towels had been set on the chairs..... so if someone came up I was just going to say, oh I didnt know it was saved.... I would not have moved. That whole thing is ridiculous... If they had shoes and other items thats different, but to just save a chair with a fresh towel .....whatever......thanks for the towel!!!! I needed a extra one to soak up the water from my suit!!!