Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2000, 04:36 PM
nick87

Default Former Britanis Sinks

Another former Chandris ship has sank.This is form the maritime matters web site:
October 21, 2000: BRITANIS sank at 19,04 Cape Town time (17,04GMT) 50 miles west of Cape Town. South African maritime authorities ordered the tug Irbis to keep BRITANIS 50 nautical miles off the coast as they feared oil pollution should she have sank in coastal waters. There was no power on board Britanis and although the idea landing generators and pumps onboard was discussed, it was felt that the ship was taking water too fast and could not be saved
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2000, 10:10 PM
Carole Dunham

Default RE: Former Britanis Sinks

When she was the Matson Line's Lurline, she was the height of glamour and was my mother's way of getting to Hawaii. I remember the movies she took of people dropping leis overboard so they would return to Hawaii (movies!). When I took it, many years later, it was truely the cruise from hell. It was Fantasy Line, a Chandris pre-Celebrity operation. The ship carried a full load of college students on spring break. The entire ship reeked of vomit, you couldn't use the swimming pool because it was so full of broken glass and the noise level was horrendous. My daughter and I violated the Jones act by getting on in Miami and getting off in Key West. We sacrificed our cruise fare and were penalized as well. It would have been worth it at twice the price, even though it was the most expensive trip to Key West ever.

Carole
Old October 26th, 2000, 11:06 AM
David Starkey

After sailing the Britanis 5 times I can truly say I will miss this special ship.
I have sailed many lines, Cunard, Royal Viking,Princess,Sitmar,Royal Carribean,Celebrity,Premier,Costa,Carnival,Chandri s and the old Italian Line.
I love old ships , my family and I have nothing but fond memories of good food, excellent service and maximum value from this great liner.....Carole I am sorry you missed the enyoyable sailings we had on the Britanis.

I will continue crusing, but reflect on a ship that provided a great time for my family on all of our voyages.
Old October 26th, 2000, 08:11 PM
sea lady

anyone know the fate of the "sister " ship the Americanis ??? My first cruise... we had a cabin next to the engines everytime we opened the bathroom door.... got a blast of heat,,, but the cruise bug bit us... at the time we sailed on her she was chartered by costa but still had blankets with the chandris x.... early 80's....memorable but comparing with todays standards... lacking.... but the food was plentiful.. drinks were dirt cheap after we left port....before the money grabbing of Carnival.... those were the good old days.!!!!!!!!!!!!..
Old October 27th, 2000, 08:52 PM
nick87

The Americanis is laid up someone in Southern Europe, I think some greek harbor. You may wan to look at www.maritimematters.com