Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2000, 11:50 PM
SmithF

Default Millennium Haunted!

This is an excerpt from an article I found on msnbc.com...

Haunted hotel rooms with a BOO!
New York to Sydney, some resort guests simply never leave

By Peter Greenberg
NBC TODAY TRAVEL EDITOR

CRUISE SHIP SPOOKS

Want a floating haunted hotel? No problem, and in at least one case, itís actually a new ship.
Celebrity Cruisesí Millennium may be a new cruise ship, but already it may be a floating ghost ship. Where do you find the spirits? In the private Olympic dining room. Officially, the special dining room (seats only 134) is open for dinner only and staffed by 10 chefs, 10 waiters, five sommeliers and five maitre dís. But what makes the restaurant truly special is that it is in fact more than 89 years old. When it built the new ship, the company discovered that the original carved French walnut paneling was from the first-class a la carte dining room of the RMS Olympic, sister ship to the RMS Titanic.
A few bits about the RMS Olympic:
RMS Olympic entered service in June 1911 at 45,000 tons and 2,400 passengers in three classes (735 in frst, 674 in second and 1,000+ in third). The Olympicís first- class a la carte dining room was on the shipís B Deck, one level below the palatial smoking room, main lounge and writing room. The dining room was so popular that the shipís architects more than doubled the size of that space on the ill-fated sister ship, the Titanic.
The Olympicís dining room was sumptuously decorated in the style of Louis XVI (Millenniumís Olympic dining room is remarkably similar). Following the tragedy that was Titanic in April 1912, the RMS Olympic was withdrawn from service for six months for renovations designed to avoid a similar catastrophe. The vessel re-entered service in December 1912, and was eventually refitted to serve as a troopship throughout World War I.
After 24 years of continuous service, the RMS Olympic was withdrawn in the fall of 1935, largely the result of the Depressionís severe impact on passenger revenues.
But somehow, the wood from that dining room remained, and was installed in the new Millennium.
Thatís the good news. However, even though the ship is new, a number of crew members have reported seeing visions late at night ó in the dining room of waiters serving elderly first-class passengers, dressed in the original uniforms from 1911!

~SmithF~
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2000, 01:14 AM
Carole Dunham

Default RE: Millennium Haunted!

One of the museum tours on the Queen Mary is called "Ghosts and Legends of the Queen Mary." They tried to make it sound ultra spooky. Unfortunately what kept me awake the few nights I spent on the old girl were very much alive people partying much too loud for an old, non soundproofed ship.

Carole
Old November 10th, 2000, 06:32 PM
Mary Lou

What a great story. I will be sure to keep my eyes open for the "ghosts" when I'm on Millennium in January.
Old November 11th, 2000, 05:16 PM
AR

Not so sure about the ghosts, but it's easy to get a feel for what ships must have been like just after the turn of the last century when you spend an evening in the Olympic.

The nice thing is that the staff is really proud to be working there, and it shows. Some will move on to the specialty restaurant on the Infinity, but they say they will miss the old walnut and the "retro" ambiance. For this, the Millie will remain unique.