Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2000, 01:38 PM
First Mate

Default Millennium vibrations

My wife and I just returned from a week onboard. We have previously sailed on the Regal Princess, Carnival Destiny and Triumph, Grand Princess and Voyager of the Seas, and many other smaller ships. Our itenerary last week allowed for a very slow trip to Key West, Calica, and Cozumel. While the vibrations from the engine are much less because it is a gas turbine system, there is something definitely lacking in the design of the hull. Even while travelling slowly and in calm seas, the sensation is much the same as driving your car over an occasional set of railroad tracks. Bump-adee-bump-bump. When we travelled very fast on the trip from Grand Cayman back to Cozumel (for a medical evacuation) and then near top speed to Ft. Lauderdale to make up time, the ship seemed to skip and bounce. I judge the size of the swells at 10-12 feet and occasionally larger, but we had similar conditions in the past and plowed right through. Since I don't profess to know anything about hull design, I can only say that in my opinion the repairs made in drydock were not successful, and that the depth of the hull may have something to do with the propulsion system. I think the Infinity and Summit will certainly be delayed, in order to address the problem. Crew members that I spoke with said that they did not notice any difference in the ride after the drydocking. The ship is splendid in every other way, except for the number of crewmembers going through on the job training. Quite a few members of the restaurant and hotel staffs left, and their replacements were just being broken-in. The ship's officers, cruise director and staff, and the entertainers remained together and are excellent. I don't wish to discourage anyone from trying the ship, but there is definitely a design flaw that couldn't be fixed in drydock.
David
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Millennium vibrations

David, where exactly on the ship did you feel the vibration? Also, if you felt it in your cabin, which deck were you on and were you mid-ship. It's really a shame that drydocking didn' t cure Millennium's problem. I'm sure all of us who were scheduled for cruises during her drydocking are not feeling very happy today. If what you say about her design is true, then Celebrity lost a lot of revenue for nothing by cancelling our cruises. Maybe that's why they uped to Olympic charge to $25.00/pp .

Nancy in Ft. Lauderdale
Old December 26th, 2000, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

David,
Thanks for the update, and opinion, on the first post dry dock sailing. It's interesting that we didn't feel this ride in the Med. I only felt "the vibration" once in when I happened to be farthest aft in the dining room.
The concern was always the way it would ride in the Caribbean because of the different currents etc. It does sound as though "the fix" didn't do the trick.
Everyone was saying the weather this past week was not great. We can hope that tides and currents associated with that weather had it's effect on the ride.
If not, I'd bet we'll see the ship go back into dry dock for more reworking somewhere down the road.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old December 26th, 2000, 07:45 PM
Babette

David:

Thanks for your report. I had a feeling that the "fix" wasn't going to do much good for the bow planing problem with Millie. Under the cirumstances which you describe.... she is still doing it at particular speeds. It is understandable that Kuki did not experience this sensation while in the Med...... the Caribbean itinerary has a leg or two which calls for not sparing the horses.

It would seem to me, in this day of computer aided design and all this techno babble software, that the ship designers would be able to get it right. I guess it is time to go back to the old fashioned method of designing a ship......paper and pencil.
Old December 26th, 2000, 11:21 PM
NJmatt

Whats probably lacking with the Millenium is that the "draught" (draft) or depth
of the hull is not deep enough to handle the new engines that are used on the ship. Like Babette said with all the wizardry that the shipyards have with the aid
of computers there is nothing like pen and pencil to design a ship.
Old December 27th, 2000, 02:00 AM
Soon-to-be newlywed

Hi David,

I read that you were on Millie for the Western Carribean route and would like to know if you have any good tips for the ports of call. Did you use Celebrity's tours? Did you find your own tour?

We were looking to experience snorkling, seeing the Mayan ruins, etc...

This is my fiance's and I first cruise, so any info you have for us would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jessica
Old December 27th, 2000, 08:46 AM
LovetheSea

Jessica... If you go to Grand Cayman, take the Stingray City excursion! It was a blast And don't forget to buy some Tortuga Rum Cake!
Old December 27th, 2000, 10:13 AM
First Mate

Hello Babette,
I believe you have posted this before. The Med has just as long of legs as the Caribbean requiring the ship to do 21.5 nm/hr. For instance it is 841 nautical miles from Crete to Civitavecchia which takes 39 hours, and 909 nautical miles from San Juan to Fort Lauderdale which takes 44.5 hours. Have you got another guess?

jeff
Old December 27th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Babette

Jeff:

I received a private email from a party on the 12/17 cruise. The ship had to run at almost 24 knts back to FLL... and it was an uncomfortable ride. They also further stated that in discussion with crew members, the "fix" has not fixed the vibration problem... that it is just the same as before.
Old December 27th, 2000, 01:25 PM
Babette

PS: Celebrity is no longer featuring Crete on their 22001/2002 Millie runs.
Old December 27th, 2000, 08:58 PM
First Mate

I WOULD NOT GO ON THE MILLENNIUM SHIP BECAUSE OF THIS VIBRATION PROBLEM! I AM LOOKING AT OTHER SHIPS INSTEAD!
Old December 28th, 2000, 10:20 AM
Admiral

David...

Thanks for your terrific first-hand report....you obviously know the difference between a smooth ride and a rocky one.

Anne
Old December 28th, 2000, 05:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just came off the Millenium 12/17 sailing to the western carr. We were booked in cabin 3076 on the Plaza deck which is midship oceanview and had no problems with the vibrations what so ever. It appears you real feel the vibrations in the stern of the ship and we felt the vibrations at dinner which is located at the stern. But it did not bother us on board or annoy us. It is true that we were cruising at high speeds because of the medical emergency and the weather didn't help the movement on board any. Does anyone know anything about the emergency? I wondered why we went back to Cozumel when Grand Cayman had an airport.
I hope they are okay.
Old December 29th, 2000, 10:13 PM
First Mate

We went back because an elderly lady suffered a heart attack, and she was off loaded on a gurney to a large ship that drew alongside. We all hope that she survived. I don't know how to find out, but our prayers have been with here since Saturday.
David
Old December 30th, 2000, 03:14 PM
hctjdc

Glad the med. emergency was promptly addressed. I am also happy that when we were bumped from Millie for a charter that we opted to switch over to the Mercury. Can';t wait to sail at the end of March '01.
Old December 30th, 2000, 07:03 PM
Admiral

David
I was on the transatlantic cruise prior to dry-dock, which ironically happened only a few miles from where I live in Virginia.

I noticed the vibration mostly at dinner in the back. We had a table right by the window and during the transatlantic part of the trip there was incredible shakeing and rattling. My understanding was that they were going to improve the depth of the hull so it wouldn't shake so much.

So your saying, it didn't work. Well, at least they still have the spa. That was my favorite part of the trip.

Rick
Old December 31st, 2000, 02:09 AM
Angie

My husband and I sail Feb. 18 on Millennium. She was in dry dock at the shipyard in Newport News, VA, our home. We were upset to learn from our travel agent that the ship needed repairs so soon after being launched. Now, after reading all these postings at this web site and others about continuing problems, I am worried. In 1997, we sailed with RCCL to Alaska. A perfect trip was marred by intense vibrations in our cabin, located aft. It was so bad I lost a lot of sleep, missed many activities trying to catch up on sleep during the day when vibrations settled down. On Millennium, we booked a suite, 6th deck aft. Now I am reading passengers felt the vibrations the worst at the stern. Also, someone wrote that the sky suites do not have jetted tubs, which they are supposed to have and which Celebrity advertises. Does anyone know anything about this? We sailed on Mercury a year ago and loved the ship, food, service and smooth ride. We returned to Celebrity for those reasons, particularly for the marvelous butler who graciously filled our requests and even proved a lifesaver when we discovered we had left our son's medications on Grand Caymen. Since he told us he'd be transferring to Millennium, we booked this cruise. Someone also wrote that a lot of the hotel staff left to go to Infinity. Does anyone know anything about this. If the hotel chief left, I'm sure our butler, Rupesh, went with him. Any comments on the amenities and decor of the ship?
Old December 31st, 2000, 12:15 PM
First Mate

We are also booked into a sky suite in April. I have seen the posts on the message boards about the missing whirlpool tubs.I e-mailed Celebrity web reservations at cci @rccl.com and they responded saying that all sky suites on the Millennium have whirlpool bath tubs with the exception of sky suites 9117 and 9123. Hope you have a great cruise
Old December 31st, 2000, 03:36 PM
First Mate

Where did your TA get their information? We are (we hope) on the 4/7 sailing to Hawaii.
Old December 31st, 2000, 03:38 PM
First Mate

Sorry. Posted unter wrong topic.
Old January 1st, 2001, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Don't get your hopes up for a whirlpool bath. They are not on the ship and were not installed at the drydock.
Old January 3rd, 2001, 07:18 AM
Andrew

David,

We got back from the Millennium 2 weeks ago and have to admit there was some vibrations. Our cabin was an outside, with balcony, near the rear of the ship, but level 7, so high up. We only felt vibrations under certain weather conditions, and overall it was a very smooth ride, even in a little storm. We could enjoy the ship at nights on the balcony with no problem at all. Any way, we expect vibrations, after all, its a ship. However, my view changed a little on the last formal night, when we were invited to the captains table, lower level in the dinning room. Gee, amazing being at a lower level, right at the back can change ones view. One could really not speak to other guests on the same table because of the noise. It sounded like we were in a garage with the car engine on. In fact, we were laughting at the noise with our host.

However, more concern was the lack of overall service, and overcrowding and general bad managment. This has been reported on other review sites (cruise addicts) so I wont repeat it, surfice to say we will be very careful in selecting a cruise with this line in the future, but think a European cruise will be a safer bet from most people if you chose Millennium.