Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Passenger

Default SOFT DRINKS ON CELEBRITY

I understand on Celebrity you must pay for all soft drinks, even in the dining room, unlike RCL where they are free with your meals. Does anyone know if you can get a soda card and if it is available to all passengers or just children?
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2001, 10:17 AM
BillG

Default RE: SOFT DRINKS ON CELEBRITY

To the best of my knowledge, soda cards for kids are available on Celebrity ships. However, it should not be a surprise that the cost is almost double what Carnival and RCI charge for similar cards. Guess you get vintage years Coca Cola that has been personally selectd by Michel Roux.
Old January 11th, 2001, 07:55 PM
smile

Is soda available at the buffets? Or do you also have to pay here. If you are required to buy soda cards in this setting, I am also curious if adults can purchse these. Anybody know?
Old January 11th, 2001, 08:26 PM
BillG

soda cards are for kids regardless of where you buy soft drinks onboard, buffet, dining room, or lounge. All others must pay per drink.
Old January 12th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Bring your own. Both times I have cruised I have taken a 12 pack of Diet Coke in my carry-on (the type with wheels) and it has always lasted me the week. I have found I drink less on cruises anyway. Then, when I go home, I have that space in my carry-on for souvenirs. It really isn't that big of a deal if you want to avoid those outrageous soda prices. I know people will say, well you just paid $1000 for a cruise and you are worried about $2.00 for a soda?? Well, I think it is just the principal of the thing, and you have no other options. I am sailing Celebrity for the first time and it will be a bummer not to get my soda free at meals like you do on RCI.

Nicole
Old January 12th, 2001, 12:22 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

It's true that paying for soda in the dining room and buffet seems to be a case of being nickel-and-dimed. Still, Celebrity spends so much more per passenger on its food --- two or three times that of RCI and the other mid-market lines -- that they have to make adjustments elsewhere. Carrying your own is a good idea, though, if just for the convenience of having it in the cabin.
Old January 12th, 2001, 02:46 PM
First Mate

btw, how much is the soda card for kids?
We bought them on RCI, and I'm not really sure if it was worth it since they don't drink all that much.
Old January 12th, 2001, 03:53 PM
BillG

If you didn't think it was worth it on RCI, then you should be even more convinced about their lack of value on Celebrity where the cost is nearly twice what Carnival and RCI charge. (Of course, since you have to pay for soft drinks in the dining room on Celebrity and not on RCI) the higher price may reflect the difference. Actually on RCI it seems that one only needs to drink two or three soft drinks per day to benefit from the soda card. When my kids were younger they probably consumed that much at one time. There are also other (and probably better nutritionally) alternatives that they can drink without cost.
Old January 12th, 2001, 07:01 PM
smile

What other beverages are available (other than water)? Neither of us drink alchohol and would like to have somthing other than water with our meals.
Old January 12th, 2001, 07:36 PM
TWOFER

Alcoholic beverage prices: Aperitifs: $3.75 Standard alcohol: $3.95 Premium alcohol: $4.50 Cocktails: $3.95 and up Wine glass: $3.95 and up Champagne glass: $4.75 and up Domestic beer: $2.95 Imported beer: $3.50 Non-Alcoholic Beverage prices: Soft drink (glass): $1.25 Soft drink (can): $1.75 Water: $1.95 Drinks purchased in souvenir glass: $6.25 Coffee, tea, and milk: complimentary onboard all ships Note: all prices are quoted in U.S. dollars. Prices are subject to change and 15% gratuity is additional

This is from Celbrity's web site.
Old January 12th, 2001, 10:11 PM
cruzcrazee

do all the rooms on the century have fridges? also is there an extra cost for fruit juices and can you bring your own wine to the dining room and get charged a corking fee?TWOFER wrote:
>
> Alcoholic beverage prices: Aperitifs: $3.75 Standard alcohol:
> $3.95 Premium alcohol: $4.50 Cocktails: $3.95 and up Wine
> glass: $3.95 and up Champagne glass: $4.75 and up Domestic
> beer: $2.95 Imported beer: $3.50 Non-Alcoholic Beverage
> prices: Soft drink (glass): $1.25 Soft drink (can): $1.75
> Water: $1.95 Drinks purchased in souvenir glass: $6.25 Coffee,
> tea, and milk: complimentary onboard all ships Note: all prices
> are quoted in U.S. dollars. Prices are subject to change and
> 15% gratuity is additional
>
> This is from Celbrity's web site.
Old January 13th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, I just returned from a Zenith cruise. They now charge $1.95 for a can of soda pop, plus 15% gratuity. There aren't refers in
every catagory of cabins. But they always keep a full ice bucket in the cabin, so you can chill with that.
Old January 13th, 2001, 09:49 PM
David Starkey

Soft drink cards purchased on RCI are only good for "glasses" and not on can soft drinks and not all of the ships bars will serve kids.
I felt "taken" when my kids went to the bar with the card i had paid $20.0 for only to be told they could only get 1 glass at a time(not all bars would even hour the card on the ship we were on)
We thought we were saving money by getting the card but my lids like drinks in the can and like the freedom of carrying a can(not breakable) where ever they were.
After six Celebrity Cruises I find my kids have reduced the amount of soft drinks that they now drink on cruises.
Old January 15th, 2001, 05:37 PM
TWOFER

The last that I heard, you could bring your own wine to the diningroom and there was a $6.00 corkage fee.
Old January 19th, 2001, 12:02 PM
cheric

This may be a stupid question, but I'm a first-time cruiser so give me a break (). You say Tea is complimentary ... does this include iced tea? My favorite drink is an Ice Pick (Ice tea with vodka). If iced tea is free, I may bring a bottle of vodka with me on the ship. thanks for your response. We sail the Millie on 2-18-01 and I am so excited!
Old January 20th, 2001, 08:36 PM
Passenger

Yes ice tea is free.