Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2001, 08:28 PM
First Mate

Default INFINITY CRUISES ON TIME

The posting for the infinity was getting so long I though it time to start a new post. Especially for GOOD NEWS.

I subscribe to Cruise New Daily which is as about as up to date as one can get. Per CND, there is a problem on the Millennium. But before anyone cruising on the Millennium get concerned CND indicates that the problem will not affect any cruise dates. The problem is with the motor that controls the new Azipod steering system. One of the three Azipod motors is only performing at about 50%. This means that the ship is slower than expected and is arriving in port latter.

Per CND a Celebrity spokesman indicated this problem does not effect any of the other Millennium class ships or their delivery date. Thus, Infinity is on schedule for delivery as planned.

Again, this is per Cruise New Daily.

My gut feeling is that someone heard about the Millennium's problems and speculation l run-a-muck.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: INFINITY CRUISES ON TIME

Great news, Dan. Today my TA indicated that he had no indication of a delay
or cancellation of the Mar 3 cruise of Infinity.
Old January 11th, 2001, 12:57 AM
First Mate

Dan, thanks for the news...I hope you are right. I will keep positive thoughts. Keep us posted!
Old January 11th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Nice to read something optimistic about Infinity for a change! Now if only there were someone posting photos of Infinity in the shipyard, so that we could see for ourselves how she looks.

Thanks Dan!
Old January 11th, 2001, 10:19 AM
First Mate

Default RE: Millenium Azipod Problem

Has anyone information on what Celebrity will do to correct the Azipod problem and whether it will require another drydock for the ship.
Old January 11th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the update on Infinity :-) I agree with another post, would love some pics of Infinity.

Donnassei
Old January 11th, 2001, 12:14 PM
LinecoachARHS

For a picture of Infinity, locate the thread "INFINITY JUNE 2001" and scroll down to almost the bottom. Beav was able to find a picture of Infinity and attached it to that thread. Way to go, Beav!
Old January 12th, 2001, 12:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

Don't bet on it. The company has acknowledged, if not publicly, that it won;t sail until at least the end of March; according to insiders, it may be more like April or even May. Given Millennium's problems, it appears Celebrity, a company not known for these types of problems, wants to get it right the first time with Infinity.
Old January 12th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Passenger

CALL THE CELBRITY TOLL FREE NUMBER AND THEY TELL YOU THE FIRST CRUISE IS MAY 1,2001.
Old January 12th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mark:
If Celebrity wants to "get it right the first time" with Infinity, the very best thing
the company could do is to notify the TA's across the country of their plans. It
is simply mindboggling to think that a company as well established as this one
will risk its reputation by "stalling". Surely any reputable company has definite
information 45 days in advance regarding its schedules. Too many airline
reservations and vacation plans are "in the air" over this fiasco.
Old January 12th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Verna

Need Celebrity's toll free number, thanx...........
Old January 12th, 2001, 05:21 PM
BIG TUNA

AND THE NUMBER IS 1-800-437-3111
Old January 12th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Verna

Thanks Big Tuna for Celebrity's 800 #.........
Old January 12th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Batman

I just called Celebrity to check on my May 11th Alaska cruise on Infinity. A very pleasant customer service advocate told me that my sailing would not be delayed. I pressed further to inquire when she would sail and I was told the first sailing was March 10th. It seems we are all getting mixed messages. Please call Celebrity and post your responses.
Old January 12th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Verna

You are right we are getting mixed responses. When I called Celebrity, the gal that ans. told me to hold on and she would check with her Super. about our March 17th sailing. She came back and said that her Supervisor told her that all March sailings had been cancelled and they were getting the news out today! She didnot elaborate as to why. At that time I called my TA and she was very surprised and she is getting back to me on it, hopefully today.......... It is going to be interesting to see how it all turns out. We may have to wait till Monday to get any ans. since this is Friday. All I know is that I am absolutely CRUSHED if it is cancelled, really looking forward to Hawaii. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they don't know what they are talking about.....how's that for thinking positive?
Old January 12th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Passenger

Mixed responses isn't the word. I called this evening about the March 28th cruise
and after they put me on hold, she came back and said that everything is fine and the ship would be sailing as planned. I asked her about all the rumors, and she said they were unfounded and I shouldn't worry. Worry isn't the word either, but disappointed is.
Old January 12th, 2001, 10:13 PM
sea lady

I suspect that anyone that you get at the 800 #. is just a clerk and has no information about the actual sailing... I am troubled that my TA has not been able to get me transfers from san diego to ensenada...and that there are no pictures of the ship available...something is rotten in denmark... or france as the case may be..... hope for positive news.... booked the hawaii sailing almost a year ago... and my husband hasn't been willing to go anywhere else.... let's get this resolved one way or the other so we can get on with our travel!!!!! Dan wrote:
>
> The posting for the infinity was getting so long I though it
> time to start a new post. Especially for GOOD NEWS.
>
> I subscribe to Cruise New Daily which is as about as up to date
> as one can get. Per CND, there is a problem on the
> Millennium. But before anyone cruising on the Millennium get
> concerned CND indicates that the problem will not affect any
> cruise dates. The problem is with the motor that controls the
> new Azipod steering system. One of the three Azipod motors is
> only performing at about 50%. This means that the ship is
> slower than expected and is arriving in port latter.
>
> Per CND a Celebrity spokesman indicated this problem does not
> effect any of the other Millennium class ships or their
> delivery date. Thus, Infinity is on schedule for delivery as
> planned.
>
> Again, this is per Cruise New Daily.
>
> My gut feeling is that someone heard about the Millennium's
> problems and speculation l run-a-muck.
Old January 13th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Brenda J.

Well, I called my travel agent yesterday, and she spoke to "Warren" at Celebrity, who informed her that everything is a go with our March 17 sailing, so let's not get too depressed until we hear something official one way or the other. They have certainly charged my credit card for the balance. One thing I am wondering about is, if they do cancel, will they simply credit my charge card, or will we have the option of a cheque? I would prefer a cheque, since by the time they issue a refund, our balance will already have been paid, and I really don't need a negative balance of several thousand dollars on my credit card.

If Celebrity has definitely made a decision, I would think that they will issue a release to all the travel agents, like they did the last time.

Don't panic yet!

Brenda J.
Old January 14th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Beginner

I was just on the Celebrity web page. I wanted to check Celebrity price to my TA's price for a Infinty hawaii cruise. The site won't let me check on Infinty until May 1,2001, the start of the Alaska season for Infinty. Are they telling us something.
Old January 14th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's probably because the cruises are sold out.
Old January 14th, 2001, 01:58 PM
First Mate

They are only telling you that those cruises have been sold out for months, or that the only cabins available are being "held" by different TA's. Sometimes more cabins will become available after the date for final payment.
Old January 15th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Hi fellow Infinity cruisers,

I called both the original Infinity Help desk number (1-888-701-7192) and the number posted by Big Tuna. Infinity help desk said no delays. Celebrity number said on the reservation screen, it says cancelled, but when you read further, it says it is an active sailing but it is completely sold out. She said there might be some confusion with the Feb. sailings being cancelled, but the March are not cancelled. I told the gal I talked to that people on her end are giving out erroneous information at times, so they should be more careful.

Nicole

Verna wrote:
>
> You are right we are getting mixed responses. When I called
> Celebrity, the gal that ans. told me to hold on and she would
> check with her Super. about our March 17th sailing. She came
> back and said that her Supervisor told her that all March
> sailings had been cancelled and they were getting the news
> out today! She didnot elaborate as to why. At that time I
> called my TA and she was very surprised and she is getting
> back to me on it, hopefully today.......... It is going to
> be interesting to see how it all turns out. We may have to
> wait till Monday to get any ans. since this is Friday. All I
> know is that I am absolutely CRUSHED if it is cancelled,
> really looking forward to Hawaii. Let's just keep our
> fingers crossed that they don't know what they are talking
> about.....how's that for thinking positive?
Old January 15th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Verna

I have just spoken with my TA and she said that they use the term "cancelled" when everything is sold out and that is just what has happened with the March 17th sailing. That's a strange way of telling someone that they are sold out, don't you think? Anyway, I am completely relieved and am now looking forward to my glorious cruise to Hawaii. My TA also said that they would be the first ones to know if it was cancelled and they would let us know immediately, as they did before.
So my suggestion, kick back, relax and count the days till CRUISE TIME.......
Old January 15th, 2001, 08:25 PM
BEAV

Go to cruisecritic.com for the latest (good) news! They have posted a short article quoting a Celebrity spokesperson who today (Jan 15) announced the shipyard has informed them Infinity is on schedule.
Old January 15th, 2001, 09:32 PM
DonnaMW

." But as of today (Monday, January 15), the yard has informed us that they believe the ship is on schedule"

Beav,
Please don't holler at me, no one wants this ship to be ready more then me. I don't want to give up my cat 3, but!! I have a problem with that one little word from the news release. "believe" I guess I am asking why do they not know if the construction is going as planned. " Believe " to me doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. More like the same answers they have been giving me over the phone. Am I the only one reading it this way???? Not until that ship is crossing the ocean will I start getting excited.
Donna
Old January 15th, 2001, 09:47 PM
BIG TUNA

I agree with Donna, sounds like they will blame the shipyard for all there problems if she's not ready on time, I hope the people going to Alaska in May don't have to fret (myself included). Like what Tim from Cruisemates said yesterday, we will all get our answers within the next week or so.
Old January 15th, 2001, 10:08 PM
BEAV

Donna,

Not to worry, I don't yell!

Yes, you're right that one word "believe" does throw doubt into the equation! I just took it as a positive since it's the first official statement (that I know of) that Celebrity has issued since the rumors surfaced. Believe me, I'm not buying my airline tickets for the May 1 sailing until Infinity is out of the shipyard and heading for Ft Lauderdale!

Big Tuna,

I missed the post by Tim. Is it right here on the message boards? Help!
Old January 16th, 2001, 05:11 AM
BIG TUNA

Hi Beav, check ask the Cruisemates staff section on the boards. I asked a question and Tim was nice enough to respond.
Old January 16th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Donnaw1009

Default Re: INFINITY CRUISES ON TIME

I just called the 800 number posted and here is what I got . . .

The first lady I spoke with told me that the first sailing of Infinity was May 1 and that it was an Alaska sailing. I had to prompt her to give me the second piece of information. Then I questioned her as to whether that was the first AVAILABLE sailing of Infinity or the INAUGURAL cruise. When I asked this she went to check with a supervisor and I never did get a straight answer from her. I also noticed that this line was also for Royal Caribbean and I am sure MANY of those answering the phones are not up on all the ins and outs of all of the cruises. She forwarded me to the following new number (i.e. I don't believe it has been posted here yet) . . . 800-529-6918.

At the above number I talked to a man named Rich. Who said that he had no information on postponement or cancellation. I told him about the confusion with the first help person with whom I spoke.

I read the notice at Cruisecritic and am in agreement on previous posters about being uncomfortable about the word "believe." I really just wish I could stop worrying about my March 3 cruise and just be plain excited. Is that so wrong? And if they do postpone or cancel, I want to make sure I have plenty of time to schedule another cruise during that same time period. No more inaugurals for me . . that's for sure!!!!