Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Bob and Marjory

Default Olympic Restaurant

We are sailing on the Millie on March 4. We are planning on dining in the Olympic Restaurant. What is the extra cost for this? - we have heard $12 per person, then heard that it was $25. If anyone has dined in this restaurant, can you tell us about your experience?
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2001, 01:12 PM
BEAV

Default Re: Olympic Restaurant

I haven't sailed aboard Millie yet, so can't comment on the Olympic experience, however the price was raised from $12 to $25 per person between the time of the Transatlantic Sailing in November and the Inaugural Caribbean sailing Dec 17.
Old January 19th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Mary Lou Scanlon

I just returned from Milli and we had dinner in the Olympic Dining room. I was told the $12.00 per person was for the tip, so I'm assuming that is also what the $25 charge is for. This is a "must do". The restaurant it beautiful and the history behind it is very interesting. The meal was wonderful and the service outstanding.
It is quite an experience and IMHO not to be missed.
Have a wonderful Cruise. Milli is a beautiful ship.
Old January 19th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a link to an article I wrote for CruiseMates about our evening in the Olympic. However, I was disappointed to hear they raised the surcharge from $12 to $25.
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/ship-features/millenniumlive3.cfm>

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old January 20th, 2001, 10:02 AM
First Mate

Is it $12 or $25?

How hard is it to get reservations?
Old January 20th, 2001, 08:09 PM
BEAV

Can Olympic reservations be made from the TV in your cabin like shore excursions, room service, etc can?
Old January 20th, 2001, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Barbara,

It's undoubtdly a lot easier to get reservations at $25 pp than it was at $12 pp!

This charge is a disgrace. A cruise is supposed to be an all-inclusive package. I would not mind a surcharge that's equivalent ot a reasonable tip ($3 pp or, if there's an assstant waiter too, $5pp), but this charge is far beyond that. We ought to refuse to pay it as a matter of principle, even if that means eating in the main dining room instead. Since Celebrity is noted for its cuisine, the food and the service main dining room can't be so poor that we "need" to eat elsewhere!

Norm.
Old January 20th, 2001, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

As far as I'm concerned, that charge is plenty of reason to boycott the place. So long as passengers pay these surcharges without question for something that's traditionally included in the fare, we will see more and more of them.

Boycottong these surcharges -- and griping about them on passenger feedback forms -- does work. Aboard MV Voyager of the Seas, the surcharges for dining in Johnny Rockets, for rock climbing, and for ice scating all disappeared fairly quickly when many passengers chose other alternatives and complained. The same thing can happen here.

Norm.
Old January 21st, 2001, 08:05 AM
William N

I read a review somewhere that said it's best to go to the restaurant to make reservations. That same review said they let you pick the table you want to sit at when you make the reservation.
Old January 21st, 2001, 10:15 AM
First Mate

We paid $10 pp to eat at the alt. dining room on a NCL ship(the sea) and felt it was worth it. $12 sounds reasonable. I was just hoping that they lowered the pricing.
Old January 21st, 2001, 08:38 PM
AR

Norm:

Nobody's dragging you in there. Obviously, if enough people believe the experience is worth the extra charge, the place will succeed. If not, they'll lower the price, and probably the quality.

As for the idea that cruises are all-inclusive, those days are clearly coming to an end. It's obvious that there's more and more a la carte stuff, and the trend seems unstoppable.

AR
Old January 22nd, 2001, 03:36 PM
AR

You can go to the restaurant or you can simply call from your room. Their number is in the ship's phone book. In the Med I saw people getting reservations as late as the third day, but those were longer cruises, so it may be a bit tighter for 7-day runs. On the other hand, if Norm's idea catches on and people boycott it, you might be able to get in twice!! :-)

AR
Old January 22nd, 2001, 08:26 PM
alexander skabry

By all means go, and go as often as you can/can afford. It is $25 per person, and worth every penny and then some. I'd recommend Vladimir as your waiter...he was fantastic and waited on us three times.

We loved the goat and parmesan cheese souffle with tomato coulis, shrimp entree, the steak dianne and the lamb en croute...but I have to believe everything is incredible. A word of warning: the chocolate souffle is huge, but great.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 11:46 AM
Admiral

The new service fee is $25 per person and is put on your account. It is steep but definetly a special evening to remember. Teh wines and after diner drinks are pricey too. The 3rd night out is a good evening to plan to go if you can get a reservation. We just called as soon as we got on board and booked at 7:30 p.m., as it is a 3 hour dining experience. No show for us on that night!
Bon Voyage