Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Admiral

Default April Millennium Cruises Cancelled

Celebrity Cruises plans a two-week dry dock for Millennium to repair an electric motor housed within one of the ship's two propulsion pods, located below the surface of the water in the stern of the ship.The dry dock will necessitate the cancellation of two one-week Caribbean cruises, scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale on April 1 and 8.

If you're booked on these sailings Celebrity will give you a full refund plus a 50% discount on any future Celebrity seven night Caribbean cruise. A special help desk has been set up to assist guests and travel agents affected by the cancellations. Guests and travel agents needing assistance with individual bookings may call 1-877-200-2897. Those needing assistance with group bookings may call 1-877-200-3235.
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2001, 08:49 AM
George in NY

Default Re: April Millennium Cruises Cancelled

Anne, I am curious, when they issue these 50% off is that off best price obtained or what?

George in NY
Old January 25th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

George, when we were cancelled last November, the 50% off was for whatever price you can get, we got a "senior rate" on a cat 1B and we used our 50% voucher. They do not guarantee your original cost, when we rebooked, we found out that March 18th was a "higher" price sailing than Nov., so we paid more for the cabin. Hope this answers your question. We were holding our breath when we found out they were drydocking Millie again, feel really bad for those who got cancelled, it could have been us again.
Old January 25th, 2001, 11:02 AM
KatieKruiser

I just called the 800 number Anne provided. The 50% off on a future booking only applies to the category you were originally booked in for the cancelled cruises. The discount is good only on a 7 nite Caribbean cruise and must be used by March 2002. If you don't rebook another cruise by the end of February 2001, you will receive a Celebrity Cruises certificate for the 50% discount that will be forwarded on to your travel agent. Holiday cruises are excluded from the discount offer.

I am so devastated right now I am in shock. I was booked on the 4/1 cruise and had just received in the mail on last Friday information about booking shore excursions for my sailing. This is so sad and disappointing. I also have a $413 non-refundable airline ticket (I did not book air through Celebrity) that I have no idea whether or not I can get my money back or not. We were so looking forward to going in April. I don't think I will be looking to book on Celebrity anytime in the future, at least not on the new Millinnium class ships. Maybe when they are a couple of years old, it will be safe to do so!!!!
Old January 25th, 2001, 11:27 AM
George in NY

Yes you answered my question if I follow you correctly. It is 50% off best price but since there is no guarentee of original cost it can be a dollar savings or not in reality. You say that the later cruise was a actually a higher cost to you meaning that the later cruise was priced by 50% higher or more?

So if the second date was priced the same you would have indeed gone at 1/2 price correct? But since your cruise was priced so much higher it actually cost you more for same cruise. This was same categorey cabin etc.? Am I following correctly?

George in NY
Old January 25th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Hi...I'm not sure what basis they use. It may be brochure rate ... or, it could be advance purchase. A good question -- I'll find out.
Old January 25th, 2001, 11:56 AM
First Mate

just wondering what the chances would be that the April 15th sailing will be cancelled also.

When the ship went in dry dock before, did they keep cancelling cruises? Did they stick to what they said in the first place??
Our dates are firm, and we also purchased air on our own. I know there will be a $150 ticket change fee, but the tickets are not refundable. I would like to start looking at alternatives, but they are all much more than what we paid, plus 3rd and 4th cabins are limited.
Old January 25th, 2001, 12:17 PM
CRUISEBILL

Barbara,

I talked to my TA this AM and she stated that according to Celebrity the Apr 15th cruise is still a go.

If I remember correctly, Millie arrived in Ft. Lauderdale one day early from the dry dock in November.

I have had this trip booked since May of last year, and boy I hope that it will go off as scheduled.

Keep your fingers as tightly crossed as mine are right now.

In any event, I hope to see you on board!!!!!

CRUISEBILL
Old January 25th, 2001, 12:33 PM
DonnaMW

Anne,
We rebooked our Infinity for exactly 1/2 off the advance price.
Donna
Old January 25th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Carole Dunham

It will be very interesting to see if Infinity and Summit have the same problems as Millenium. I am dying to try this class of chip, but think I will simply wait until they are all a couple of years past these forced drydocks. My sympathy goes to passengers who already have their air tickets.

Carole
Old January 25th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

My daughter and I were booked on the April 8 sailing. I am presently scrambling to get on the 10 day Mercury Western Caribbean sailing which departs April 6 and offers additional ports in Panama, Costa Rica and Colombia (no Calica though
Since it is a holiday/spring break week for many children, I am hoping that at least some other families who were booked on that sailing the Millennium will consider the Mercury sailing (departs Ft. Lauderdale on April 6 and returns April 16th). Hopefully I won't regret this decision and there will be at least some children on board!!
Old January 25th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Carole,
I totally agree with you, wait until all these problems are fixed once and for all.
I am dying to give one of them a try too :-)

Donnassei
Old January 25th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Carole Dunham

Let'e plan one together Donna. We had such a good time on the first one.

Carole
Old January 25th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Carole,
Yes, lets keep our eyes open for a good CM cruise some day, would love to cruise with you again, Ocean was such a nice cruise, our first for George and I to cruise w/o kids :-)

Donnassei
Old January 25th, 2001, 06:57 PM
BEAV

Regarding the 50% discount for future cruises and the so-called necessity to rebook in the same cabin category, there have been a number of posters who reported they took their discount and booked into higher categories (even suites). Perhaps it took a good TA, I'm not sure, but I've read of a number of people who have done this with regards to the previous Millennium cancellations. Good luck!
Old January 25th, 2001, 07:22 PM
smile

I was one of those people. I was orginally booked in a cat 2 for the December 3rd sailing. After hearing the cancellation news we rebooked in a cat 1B for the Jan 14th sailing and still received the 50% discount.
Old January 25th, 2001, 07:37 PM
JeffCoud

I was one of those people too--we were booked into one of the huge Cat 3s on Millennium and used the 50% off on the Royal Suite on the Century! Boy it was nice!

Jeff
Old January 25th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's the scoop on vouchers, this is from my personal experience:
We re-booked the exact same cabin from 11/26 to 3/18. The cost was $254.00 more pp, they stated that it was a "higher priced sailing".
Then we "upgraded to
a Cat 1B (from Cat 4) for the same price. Then, Celebrity offered a "senior rate" for Cat 1B, and that was only $151.00 more than our original fare for cat 4 on 11/6.
So actually, we did very good with our vouchers. They said we could only use the 50% off on a 7 nigth caribbean crjuise. I wrote to Celebrity and asked if we can use the vouchers for a 10 or 11 night deep caribbean or for Alaska, they NEVER answered me, since Sept.....

We also had $100/pp vouchers from our 2 nigth Thanksgiving cruise on Millie.
The DID let us use them on Majesty & Radiance since Celebrity does not offer a short cruise. They said they will do this as an "exception" and the rep. had to get it approved.

Hope this helps...I really feel for all of you..I guess we were just lucky we decided to re-book for 3/18...otherwise, we could be facing a second cancellation.
Nancy
Old January 25th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Hi Jeff,
Wow, you sure got a good deal, congrats. I think now you may be spoiled for your future cruises???

DOnnassei
Old January 26th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Mary Lou

Dear Katie:
I am so sorry about your situation. I, too, would be devastated. Do you have a TA? Someone who can get you booked on another cruise the same time so you don't lose your airfare? I know it won't be what you were hoping for, but may still turn out okay. Good luck.
Old January 26th, 2001, 12:04 PM
KatieKruiser

I was booked on the 4/1 cruise on the Millie that was cancelled. I am a bit confused on the 50% discount. When I spoke to Celebrity yesterday, they told me that I could only apply the discount to a future cruise in the same category (2C) that I was booked in for the 4/1 cruise. Ideally, what I would like to do is rebook for the fall on the Millie, but book a suite instead, and apply the 50% on that. According to the cruise line, I can't do that.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old January 26th, 2001, 02:02 PM
MiaPortia

We are booked on the 4/22 Millie Cruise, and we're hoping we won't have to rebook as well. Although I'm not in the travel profession, what the cruise line told you seems logical. It would be hard to believe that every passenger that was booked on both of those sailings could rebook a suite for half price if he/she chose to do so. I sure your TA could give you precise details on how the 50% can be applied. Anyway, sorry you are having to replan your trip....I know it's even more disappointing when the time to sail is getting close. (I have my "countdown clock" sitting on my computer's desktop...) Happy (future) sailing! MiaPortia
Old January 26th, 2001, 11:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

great i found someone who is on the same cruise have you seen any reviews on the ship this year if so please forward thank you

sforbes6873@home.net
Old January 27th, 2001, 11:07 AM
MiaPortia

Scott-

In addition to this (Cruisemates) site, you will also find informative reviews at Cruiseopinion.com
I have sailed on the Century twice and can't wait for the "Millennium" experience. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't get cancelled too.... MiaPortia
Old January 27th, 2001, 11:19 AM
JeffCoud

Donna--yes, we are completely spoiled for future cruises having that suite! In any case, I don't know how our travel agent did it, but I am happy to share his name with anyone who e-mails me. Like I said, we were orig. booked in a Cat 3 on Millie and used our 50% off on a Royal Suite on the Century, which we loved.

Jeff