Has anyone going 3/17 or later managed to secure transfers to Ensenada yet? My travel agent has been unable to confim any transfer times yet. Celebrity has told her that they don't book Grayline until 30 to 45 days prior to departure. Well, today is 45 days prior, so we should hopefully be hearing shortly.
Another question - we booked out of a Canadian package tour brochure, so maybe our situation is different. We deviated our air so that we could arrive the day before. Our air is still being booked through Celebrity, I assume (via Encore, the package tour company); however, we were not able to choose any flight times. We were told that we had to take the flight closest to the one we had originally been booked for on the day of the cruise. So now we have been booked for a flight that arrives in San Diego the day before the cruise - March 16 - at 9:00 p.m. I would have preferred an earlier flight, but we are evidently not being given a choice. We paid a deviation fee of $35, and now, since we have deviated our air, our transfers are no longer included, and we are being charged $60 per person for one-way transfers to Ensenada.
Is this what is happening with others who have deviated their air, or were you given a choice of flights the day before? Were your transfers still included? I assumed that since we were still taking Celebrity's air, we should not be charged for the transfers.
I may be wrong about the air - perhaps it is the charter company who arranged the air and not Celebrity, which would explain why we now have to pay for transfers and yet have no choice of flight times.
I'm sure if we had booked just the cruise, and booked our air separately, we could have chosen any number of flights; however, since this cruise starts and ends in different places, the one-way air prices would have been prohibitive.
Part of the reason, not necessarily the only reason, may be that RCCI/Celebrity just signed a new contract with Greyhound. Greyhound will transport passengers between San Diego and Ensenada. Celebrity probably couldn't or wouldn't provide transfers until the contract was finalized.
Speaking from my experience last year going from San Diego to Ensenada, this is a good move. The buses last year were in very bad shape. Two buses broke down and the one I was could hardly make it up steep hills.
I don't know if this is the same but we deviated our air for the 17th and yes we will get transfers. Celebrity has booked the flights we wanted and I called and got our seat assignments months ago. Ask you agent for a copy of the air deviation form if you want to make sure Celebrity did it. I got one faxed from my agent.
But on the other hand we deviated to stay in Hawaii for 2 more days and we are not getting the transfers to airport because of the 2 day delay after.
So is it possible because of the 1 day ahead you might not get them???
I can understand not getting the transfers, but once you've paid air deviation, you should get your choice of available flights. After requesting deviation, it's normal for the cruise line to come back, explain the flights and if by chance there is a price increase you'd face by accepting that deviation. At that point you have the ability to accept and pay the deviation fee, or turn it down, save the $35, and accept whatever flight the cruise line comes up with for you.
Sounds as if the TA dropped the ball here, forcing you to take a deviation, you dont want.
I'm cruising to Hawaii April 7th on Infinity. I booked air deviation many months ago, I stipulated what time and what airline. Once I confirmed my air deviation, I immediately made my seat assignment through American Airlines.
Thanks for all your quick responses. I got a hold of my travel agent, who informed me that our air was booked through Encore Vacations, and not Celebrity themselves, so the unusual rules regarding deviated flight times are Encore's, not Celebrity's.
However, my agent told me that Celebrity themselves informed her that unless you book your air through Celebrity and do not deviate, you are officially not able to get transfers with Celebrity, except on a stand-by type basis. They did not want to confirm that we had transfers at all, since we were not travelling by the originally scheduled air.
My agent told me that she argued with them, got her supervisor involved, and was finally told that they will confirm transfers for us (at a cost of $89 Canadian - around $60 U.S. per person).
Apparently, Celebrity has still not reserved their buses to Ensenada, so departure times are still up in the air.
Has anyone else deviating had trouble confirming transfers? It seems unbelievable to me that Celebrity will not provide guaranteed transfers, even at additional cost, for passengers who deviate their air. My agent said that Celebrity informed her that we "probably won't have any trouble getting on a bus" by it being booked as "stand-by" I am having a hard time believing this, although since my agent says she has now managed to secure transfers for us, I guess I shouldn't worry about it. It just seems so strange. Is my agent telling me the real story?
I have had the same problem. I booked my own air using frequent flyer miles. I will be flying into San Diego one day early. I have found a company who will transport 10 people by van. IT is cheaper than Celebrity but don't want to do that unless I have to. The other option is a tour co the only question with them is what size bus they will take to Ensenada. If they have a small group, their bus will be too small to transport all the luggage. If enough people sign up, they will take a big bus with the capacity to haul the luggage. That is $48.00 pp. with a little tour of Tiajuana and Rosarito. still iffy, but at least there is some alternate transportation... however I can't figure why Celebrity won't offer transfers to all passengers when it is sailing from a place that you just can't get to by taxi. Keep me posted!
Last year on our cruise to Hawaii my wife and I met a couple that made arrangement through a company called, something like, Travel America. Travel America had their on contract on a bus that brought all the people, that booked through them, to Ensenada. Maybe Encore is doing the same. Just something you might want to check out.
As a native San Diegan I would urge that anyone going from San Diego to
Ensenada book ONLY with the Cruise line. There is no regular bus service j
across the border and Ensenada is not the easiest place to go. You and your
luggage will be taken care of by the cruise line, and the extra cost is worth the
security. Too bad we have to put up with the Jones Act that makes this kind of
Hi- I noticed you are from San Diego. What is a great place to stay for two nights prior ? Is the gas lamp district safe? Which is the neatest waterfront location to stay? It seems like there is sooo much to choose from. Thanks for any info -Sandy
You got we wondering so I called Celebrity. We deviated at the end of the cruise, so we do not get transfers from our hotel in honolulu to the airport.
But on the leg coming in on cruise day we do. They booked all our flights, so we are getting the transfers.
I think the problem is if you come into town early or stay latter after the cruise, then one leg of your flight does not include transfers.
Well at least some info is coming out about our cruise.
The cruisers on 3-3 should be getting their documents coming up within the next 2 weeks. Considering its only 30 days until the inauguaral.
I hope they post when they get them. Donna
Well since you got no reply... I will tell you what I know... don't live in San Diego but did visit... the waterfront where the ships dock is charming... Seaport Village is a really nice place... We are staying at the Wyndam downtown ... 4 blocks from the embarcadero ... the Hyatt is really well placed but a little pricy.. Embassy Suites is also well located... we chose the Wyndham because of the great weekend rates and they pick you up at the airport... would also like to know if the gaslight district is safe!!!!