Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Mary Lou

Default New Year's Cruise Extra Charge

Do all cruiselines charge more for Holiday sailings? Celebrity seems to be considerably more on New Years than the next week. Is it a flat increase across the boards? Or is everyone different? Is there any chance of me find a deal for New Years?
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: New Year's Cruise Extra Charge

Marylou,
I'm busy shopping right now for a CruiseMates New Years cruise. From past experiences I've found generally X mas and NYrs cruises tend to be about $300 more per person.
BUT, I've already seen a couple deals that look pretty good. Keep your fingers crossed... but I think we can find some thing reasonable.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 13th, 2001, 09:24 PM
Admiral

ML... the very next week, first week in January, is one of the best weeks of the year to book... considerably below New Years. You pay a huge premium to lift a glass on New Years Eve on a ship loaded with kids. Except for New Years eve, it is exactly the same as any other cruise on the ship. Great savings are offered on the following week... people are all "spent out" over the holidays... lift (air) is still at a bit of a premium... go out for a great dinner at home on NewYears eve, sail the following week and save big bucks... AND... avoid the kids, too. Just my opinion!

Ernie
Old February 14th, 2001, 09:19 AM
MiaPortia

It also seems like the sailing immediately before the holiday cruise might be a good choice. Mia
Old February 14th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Most everyone at CM knows it's very rare for Ernie and I to disagree ..

BUT.. even though there's an additional cost, I think there's something very special about being on a ship New Years Eve. Unlike any other cruises I've done, everyone is out of their cabins, enjoying the festive atmosphere of the ship and the passengers.
And there's a different type of party going on in all the lounges. The energy level onboard I suppose is what attracts me.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 15th, 2001, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Every cruise line will get the highest cost per cabin possible. Celebrity's brochure rates are generally higher than other cruise lines, but their service and food is much better as well. Occupancy is highest during the holidays, so they can get higher rates. It's very similar to airline pricing today.

Otherwise, everything seems to be selling for $599 these days That's because of the enormous number of new ships entering service each year. Supply exceeds demand.

If you're set on Celebrity, bypass their newest vessels, which always sell for the highest prices because they get the highest demand. Zenith, Horizon and the Century-class vessels are just as wonderful.
Old February 15th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Kuki and I disagree? Never! What never? Well... hardly ever! (Apologies to W.S. Gilbert)

Yes, the ship(s) are exciting on New Years eve, if partying is your thing it's great. My point was that that's basically the only difference and you pay a hefty premium for the pleasure and there can be lots more kids on board (a problem only if that's bothersome).

Ernie