Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2001, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie
Default Catalina Island

Hi,

Can anyone tell me more information on Catalina Island? Is this a great beach day? Are there water sports and a bar on this island? Does the ship dock directly on this island? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Melanie
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Bob and Marjory

Default Re: Catalina Island

From what I have read on other posts,the ship does not dock on the island.There is a beach party,water sports,and a bar service provided by Celebrity.I also believe food or lunch is also provided by Celebrity.
Old February 25th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Admiral

It is a terrific beach day at Catalina Island. They tender you from the ship to the island - a short ride.
Old February 26th, 2001, 09:28 AM
JanetDale

The day at Catalina is great! We just returned from Eastern Car. cruise on Millie. Beautiful beach, great water. Plenty of chairs, though they ran out of rafts the week we went because it was a school vacation week. There's a big barbecue lunch, bar service all day. Water sports include banana boat rides, snorkeling and water paddle bikes (extra charges for those).
Old February 26th, 2001, 10:23 AM
LovetheSea

Be on one of the first tenders, if you want to get a good chair for the day. Best port on the whole itinerary! Great lunch, good fun.
Old February 26th, 2001, 01:59 PM
hctjdc

Was this good for snorkeling? Past posts seem to indicate YES! Just want to be sure before lugging stuff along for this stop & Virgin Gorda
Old February 26th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

My family and I loved this day, the only problem is that by 12:00 the beach looks like Coney Island in the summer (very,very crowded). You can get off the ship by 8:00, we would reccomend being off by 9:30. Have fun!!!!!!
Old February 27th, 2001, 12:05 AM
cheri

We went over on a later tender last week and had no problem getting four chairs and four umbrellas set up for us. It was a wonderful beach day and I think a good time was had by all. We had no children with us so didn't need rafts. We just sat under the palm trees and relaxed the day away. Waiters come by and take your drink orders and the lunch was great ... all you could eat. Lemonade and water and iced tea are available up at the pavillion during lunch. We took big thermal bottles with us filled with ice and had plenty of cold drinks all day. enjoy it. it's a wonderful day!
Old February 27th, 2001, 09:38 AM
First Mate

I'm in the same qyandry hctjdc,

I bought snorkeling equipment because I figured I'd be doing a few ofthese cruises a year and it might save some cash. But now I just hate the idea of lugging it around, especially if I'm not going to use it.

I guess I will take mine along for the BVI stop as well as Nassau.

It sounds as if this beach can get crowed when the Millenium is at anchor. Aren't you glad you'll be on the smaller and less crowded Mercury!!
Old February 27th, 2001, 01:14 PM
LovetheSea

The water was much clearer in St. Thomas than Catalina.
Melanie.. What cruise will you be on? We will be on the Mercury March 30! We were on the Millennium in Jan, and went to Catalina Island. There is a straw market there if you want to buy things. Very agressive salespeople! Banana Boat rides. Wave runner and floating mat rentals etc.The band from the ship comes ashore and plays for us! I always bring an extra surong or scarf to tie to the umbrella, so I know which one to head for when I am floating back in from the water. It helps a lot.
Can't wait!!! It was 20 degrees this morning
Old February 27th, 2001, 07:08 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

Thanks for all the great feedback! It really has helped a lot!

I will be sailing on the Millie on 3/4/01, I am so excited, it is freezing where I am also, tomorrow below zero. I have been to St Thomas before but have not spend any time in Puerto Rico or Bahamas. Any advice on that one?

Also, I am sailing on the Century on April 28th, same cruise as last year but I really loved it! What islands are you going to?