Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Food Poisoning on 2/18 Mille cruise?

I was on the 2/18 cruise of the Millennium. After dinner on Monday evening (the first formal) I got EXPLOSIVELY ill. (not seasick) I was up all night... (I'll spare you all the gorey details), but suffice to say, I went to the ship doctor first thing Tuesday morning. I was almost put on an IV because I was so dehydrated and was unable to retain any fluids. They gave me a shot of compisine, and a prescription for antibiotics (Cipro). (Obviously they don't prescribe antibiotics for seasickness, but neither the doctor nor the nurses would confirm the likeliness of food poisoning) I was charged $138.00 for the visit.

I was in bed all day/night Tuesday, and was not fully able to enjoy food again until Friday morning. I overheard many people around the ship also discussing how ill they got on Monday night. Some people speculated that over 200 people including crew members were ill following that meal.

If you, or someone else you know were on the cruise and had similar symptoms, I'd love to hear from you. I expressed my concerns to guest relations, and asked them to comp the $138.00, to no avail. Thanks or your assistance!

Lisa Guillette
lguillette@ric.edu
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Food Poisoning on 2/18 Mille cruise?

Not sure where you were travelling,but we were on the Enchantment of the Seas heading from Ft Lauderdale to St Maarten on Monday. We went through high seas all day Monday and most people on board were sick. It was not the food, trust me! Some folks went to the infirmary for a shot and were charged a similar charge. Just thought I would mention our experience before rumours fly. I know we encountered your ship at Ports along the way so we may have been travelling the same course.

Merry
Old February 27th, 2001, 08:03 PM
First Mate

Lisa,
I was on the same cruise last week. My wife became ill and was in bed over one day but felt terrible for about 3 days. At my table 6 out of 9 people became sick. I heard a great many passengers say that members of their party were sick. One lady at our table even received a call from the Food Services asking what she had eaten. At the very least if a great many people were getting sick the cruise line should have notified all their passengers there may be a problem. We are not sure if they had a serious case of food poisoning or a virus on board but more sensitivity by the line was needed. Compensation for not letting us get what was advertised should happen. We missed Puerto Rico because of engine problems of some type and were compensated $100 per stateroom. The line was putting the Millenium in to drydock on April 1st for 2 weeks. Things don't add up!
Old February 27th, 2001, 09:56 PM
BWilson

I was also on the 2-18 sailing and I spoke to a family of 4 who also became sick. However it was not after eating the same meal. They were sick on different days. I was at a table of 12 and now of us got sick. A wide variety of dishes were eaten. Food posionig or sea sickness. I don't know. I just count myself lucky. Everyone at the table could say enough about how great the food as well as the service was.
Old February 27th, 2001, 11:05 PM
cheric

I was on the Millennium last week. There were fifteen in our party and we all ate at the same time. None of us got sick and we ranged in age from 10 to 75. We all ate different things so if it was food poisoning I can't imagine what it was from. I know there was a lot of movement on the ship but I took Bonine every morning and never even got queazy. I never heard about 200 people being sick. In fact, while reading some of the very negative reviews I was beginning to wonder if I was really on that ship last week. everything was wonderful. Service, food, etc. it was our first cruise but not our last.
Old February 28th, 2001, 09:34 AM
MLevine

Lisa, You might want to check out the Message Board on Cruise Critic where many people posted their horror stories from your cruise concerning being ill.
Old February 28th, 2001, 10:59 AM
AR

It seems to me that for your $138 you should have been given a diagnosis. In fact, I think I would have insisted on one.

I'm not a doc, but I don't think they give antibiotics for seasickness, so they must at least have suspected something else. I believe antibiotics are usually given to fight bacterial infections.

AR
Old March 1st, 2001, 06:04 PM
angiekay

Hi, Larry. If you get a chance, please re-post on cruisecritic.com. Celebrity might respond to an online public relations clamour, when they were blatantly unresponsive to individual complaints on board! Angie
Old March 2nd, 2001, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My husband and I both became violently ill on the Millennium 2/18/01 sailing. Our experience was very similiar to that of Lisa's. In fact, my husband undoubtedly was in the infirmary at the same time she was. After receiving blood work which indicated infection, he was given antibiotics, anti-diarhea pills, and a shot of compazine along with a bill for $138.00. The doctor asked him what he ate for the last four days and that they were going to try to see if there was a common thread among complaints. Anyone who knows anything about medicine knows that food poisoning occurs within 24 hours. Throughout the remainder of the week, anyone I spoke to either had gotten ill Monday night or knew of someone who did. It was definitely not seasickness, I have blood work to prove it. Besides , I have curised several times in very bad weather, hurricane in fact, and never came close of getting sick. Cruise lines are notorious for their deny, deny, deny approach to problems wuch as these. Guest relations refused to take this off our bill but told us we would have to take it up with the main office. I am planning to do so and will be contacting the CSC, Cruise Sanitation Commission, to let them know of the problem. When will the Cruise LInes wake up to the fact that a little customer service at ground zero, i.e., admit a problem, let passengers know if and when it had been isolated and hopefully corrected, and pay the $138.00 medical fee. Reasonable requests.
Old March 2nd, 2001, 04:05 PM
Glenn

Was on 2/18 cruise also...we chose Monday night to eat in the Olympic. Maybe the timing was right. We never experienced any issues on the cruise other than too many kids ( out fault, Presidents week ). I feel sorry for the folks that suffered but we experienced wonderful food and service. We had a table for two on the lower level and our staff headed by Nenad was the best. In retrospect, we were a little disappointed the dress code seemed to be largely ignored...too many shorts and even jeans on inappropriate nights....looking forward to our next cruise.Donna wrote:
>
> My husband and I both became violently ill on the Millennium
> 2/18/01 sailing. Our experience was very similiar to that of
> Lisa's. In fact, my husband undoubtedly was in the infirmary
> at the same time she was. After receiving blood work which
> indicated infection, he was given antibiotics, anti-diarhea
> pills, and a shot of compazine along with a bill for
> $138.00. The doctor asked him what he ate for the last four
> days and that they were going to try to see if there was a
> common thread among complaints. Anyone who knows anything
> about medicine knows that food poisoning occurs within 24
> hours. Throughout the remainder of the week, anyone I spoke
> to either had gotten ill Monday night or knew of someone who
> did. It was definitely not seasickness, I have blood work to
> prove it. Besides , I have curised several times in very bad
> weather, hurricane in fact, and never came close of getting
> sick. Cruise lines are notorious for their deny, deny, deny
> approach to problems wuch as these. Guest relations refused
> to take this off our bill but told us we would have to take
> it up with the main office. I am planning to do so and will
> be contacting the CSC, Cruise Sanitation Commission, to let
> them know of the problem. When will the Cruise LInes wake up
> to the fact that a little customer service at ground zero,
> i.e., admit a problem, let passengers know if and when it had
> been isolated and hopefully corrected, and pay the $138.00
> medical fee. Reasonable requests.
Old March 9th, 2001, 01:02 AM
Angie

Was on 2/18/01 cruise also. We talked to many people who had been sick, including a number of crew members. Some reported they were sick Monday, others different times during the week. A lady at our table got sick Wednesday night after eating salmon. She tried to blame it on the salmon until my husband said he had also had salmon, and he was never sick. I believe it was not food poisoning, but a stomach virus which can sweep through a school, office or a cruise ship with alarming speed. It is unfortunate that so many people were sick and did not get to enjoy the full cruise.
Old March 10th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Passenger

two out of three of us were sick on the Milllennium cruise of 2/18. My husband, the vegetarian, was not sick. If this had been a virus, he would have sick and been the first one of us to become ill, he always is. I say it was definately food poisoning.