Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Flight home

What is the earliest time you would book a flight to leave from San Juan if ship (Celebrity) is scheduled to dock at 7:00A.M. on a Saturday. I would appreciate all advice.
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2001, 10:31 AM
MLevine

Default Re: Flight home

Jackie, Even though the ship docks at 7, immigration still has to board and clear non-US citizens. The four times that I have arrived into Ft Lauderdale they started letting people off at 9:15 to 9:30. If you are the first ones off at 9:30 (which is easily arranged if you have an early flight), find your bags by 9:50, jump into a cab (if you get into the ship's shuttle you will have to wait until it gets full) with your luggage (you can't check it at the ship even if your airline shows up with a truck as many do because your luggage will not make an early flight), you should be at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale by 10 or 10:10. Check-in lines there could be very long. The one caveat to this is that on one cruise a few families did not appear to be pre-cleared at immigration, and we didn't get off the ship until alomost 10:30. All that said, I have cruised many times, and fly 40,000 miles a year, and I would not risk a flight before 11:30. (If you are flying out of Miami add an hour or so). Hope this helps.
Old March 13th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Mary Lou

If you are the nervous type, I would not make my flight before 11:30 or 12:00.
Old March 13th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info. My plane will be leaving from San Juan, so I believe I need to get to the airport 2 hours in advance since this is considered an international flight. Would a flight at 1:45 definitely leave me enough time to get to the San Juan airport on time? Thanks again.
Old March 13th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Jackie wrote:
>
> Thanks for the info. My plane will be leaving from San Juan,
> so I believe I need to get to the airport 2 hours in advance
> since this is considered an international flight. Would a
> flight at 1:45 definitely leave me enough time to get to the
> San Juan airport on time? Thanks again.

Hi Jackie,
You should have no problem making that flight, enjoy the cruise!

Donnassei
Old March 13th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Mary Lou

I agree with Donna, that should leave you plenty of time. If you have never been to San Juan Airport.....it is very, very crowded especially when the cruise ships have just disembarked. Don't be surprised if you can't find a chair to sit on. I also wasn't impressed with the restaurant selection at the airport. If you could eat before you get there...you would be doing yourself a favor.
Have a great trip.
Old March 14th, 2001, 04:25 PM
AR

We like to book a later flight out of San Juan, check our bags with the airline at the pier (which is easy to do), then spend the day in town and fly out at maybe 4 or 5 o'clock or even later. Cabs are cheap, city is pleasant, food is good (in town). This tends to avoid the eager beavers that mob the airport 10-2 on ship arrival days.

AR
Old March 16th, 2001, 03:11 PM
hctjdc

Pls clarify re Ft, Lauderdale. We booked air tix & port to airport transfers with Celebrity. We have an 11 am flight for which we pd a deviation fee (the offered air flight was even earlier) Are you saying we should abandon this plan , get our own luggage & take a cab.?.I thought the pt of taking the package was for smooth transfer & not having to "schlep" luggage etc. This is our first trip through Ft Lauderdale, pls share your advice..We leave next Thurs. so there is still time to plan.
Old March 16th, 2001, 11:36 PM
AR

Please read the messages carefully. The original poster was asking about San Juan arrivals, not Fort Lauderdale. The first two responses misread the original and started talking about Ft. Lauderdale. My response, in which I suggested going into town, is about San Juan, the city that the original questioner had asked about.

If you're coming into Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale), I'm sure your connection will be fine in late morning, their bus will get you to the airport in plenty of time (it's just a few minutes ride), and there's no particular advantage to staying in Ft. Lauderdale for the day.

AR