Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2001, 11:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark
Default Just Returned from Galaxy Deep Southern

7 days on the Galaxy went by too fast!

My wife and I along with 10 other family members just returned home from Celebrity's 7-day Deep Caribbean Cruise, beginning 3/10/01. A port a day is not our favorite itinerary but it fit into everyone's schedule. The ports are what you make them we find. My wife and I had never been to Barbados, Anitgua, or St. Lucia. We enjoyed all the shore excursions. However we much prefered the snorkling and kayaking type adventures over the "Cow, Pig and Chicken" land tours.

We enjoyed almost everything about the voyage. The Galaxy is holding up well into her fifth year of service. We had cabin 8261...way at the back.

The cabin could accomodate 5 passengers, so with just the 2 of us, it was quite roomy. Unfortunately, aft vibration during docking is HORRIBLE!. We had cabin 1049 (midship) on the Mercury and the difference was tremendous. Fortunately for us, we are up fairly early but it still was extremely annoying. Our cabin stewart was great. The robes have changed from a terrycloth to a lighter material. Nevertheless they were comfortable and convenient. Those with suites still had terrycloth robes.

The breakfasts were excellent. We rarely eat in the dining room for breakfast. This cruise was no exception. The buffet was great. Get the Belgian waffles when they are offered! The orange juice available on Celebrity as usual SUCKS. I don't understand why they can't put out carafes of real orange juice. I think next time I will smuggle some on board! Plenty of room to eat in the Oasis Cafe and the stewards were attentive.

Lunch was sometimes the best meal of the day. Again we rarely eat in the dining room for lunch and this time was no exception. I really enjoyed the variety of offerings for lunch. The different types of salads, entrees, and deserts kept my stomach full. The deserts at lunch were usually better than those at dinner.

Dinner was excellent every night. Our waiter, Lloyd, was outstanding. He was friendly, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and extremely funny. We all agreed that he was the best waiter our family has had in their combined cruise experience. The busboy on the other hand, needed a lot of work. Usually I make excellent food choices at dinner but I think this cruise it might have been more hit and miss. Overall dinner was excellent.

The entertainment was very good. The usuall broadway shows and talent act were excellent. The Cirque du Galaxy was the best show. However, Cirque du Sole has nothing to worry about. The comedians on Galaxy are always soso and the newly wed game was the victim of not-so-funny participants.

The cruise director, Simon Weir, was excellent. He worked hard and I enjoyed his dry humor. The pool deck entertainment was good. I nearly passed out when the band director, Louie Lemay, belly flopped in the pool. Simon also jumped in the pool fully dressed in his tux. The music on the PA system was HORRIBLE but the bands both on deck and in the lounges were excellent. The martini bar in the Savoy lounge was excellent. Those vodka martinis are hard to resist.

All in all a great trip. Our next cruise will have to be to Alaska, Hawaii, or Bermuda on Celebrity. Time to give the Caribbean a break from us!
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Just Returned from Galaxy Deep Southern

Thanks for your review. We're going to be on the Galaxy on 3/31. Can't wait!
Old March 18th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Admiral

The "vibration" during docking comes from the "stern thrusters". For heavens sake,,, you are on a ship. Sounds like a wonder trip you had. Those stern and bow thrusters exert a thrust perpendicular to the ship, enabling it to maneuver to a dock without the aid of tugs. We rejoice in those brief reminders that we are indeed on a ship, at sea.

Ernie
Old March 18th, 2001, 08:26 PM
s p

We also leave March 31 on Galaxy.
Old March 18th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Admiral

P.S. I believe that Simon Weir is the brother of Nick Weir... the all time best Cruise Director on Costa. Nick is now land bound and has his own tv show... I believe in Australia. He was very talented and funny. I've seen his brother who, early on, was on Costa as well. His brother, if memory serves, carries on the family tradition. Unlike too many of these CD's, they are quite talented on stage.

Ernie