Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2001, 08:51 AM
First Mate

Default Tortola/Norman Island

Hi,

Has anyone ever visited Norman Island while on a stop in Tortola? I am interested in how to get there and back while in port with the Mercury in two weeks.

Norman Island is the setting for the book TREASURE ISLAND and from what I ahve read there are some interesting caves in which to snorkel and a floating restaurant that'd sounds fun for lunch.

Any other good ideas abut unique things to do on Tortola itself would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2001, 09:09 PM
AR

Default Re: Tortola/Norman Island

Been to Norman on a sailboat, so I don't know what the public transportation deal is from Tortola. Norman is indeed the Island that inspired Treasure Island, and it's a fairly easy hike up to the top of the hill that overlooks both harbors. Rereading the book before you go helps! The remains of a fort or two that would certainly have been inspirational are also easy to discover and explore. It is a very evocative place.

The caves are unbvelievable. We went into several at night in a Zodiac with a guy who knew them well, and who also knew how to tell a pretty good ghost story. Just a flashlight or two, and a couple bottles of champagne. Again, I don't know whether there are trips available to the caves on a per-person basis, but if there are I would highly recommend them.

It's a fascinating, largely undiscovered Island, and the Treasure Island angle really sparks the imagination.

AR