Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2001, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Is a 10:30 flight out too early?

We are travelling on the Century Eastern carribean which returns to Ft. Lauderdale at 7:00 AM on the final day. The flight out leaves at 10:30 AM. Will I have a problem getting to the airport in Ft.Lauderdale by 9:45? Should I book a later flight? My next option does not leave until 2:20.

Thanks,
Deb
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2001, 01:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Is a 10:30 flight out too early?

Normally the cruise line won't provide a transfer if your outbound flight is earlier than noon. The passengers won't be getting off the ship before 9:30 most likely and maybe not until 10. You can request an early disembarkation...but you should really have a later flight.

Jeff
Old March 22nd, 2001, 01:56 PM
Passenger

I have the same question. Am considering booking an 11:20 flight home, but am concerned about getting to the airport without being a nervous wreck and without having to be eating breakfast at 6 AM. I won't take the later flight home - it's on an MD80, a plane I try to avoid flying. So for me, I'll stay over and fly home the next day if the 11:20 is cutting it too close.
Old March 22nd, 2001, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

When we did Mercury two years ago, we were to the airport by 10:00. If you join the captain's club, you will get priority departure. They also had check in on the ship the night before, so you just had to go to your gate at the airport. Also, If you have to declare stuff, it seems you get off early as well. WE are stuck till 2:30, the trip to the Everglades is fun, we did that last year.
Old March 22nd, 2001, 07:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

I just came back from the Millie and they booked us a flight at 3pm, we were at the airport at 9am. That is a very long day! I have also taken the Century last year and we were at the airport at 9am and left for our flight at 11am with no problem. I would keep the original flight.

Melanie
Old March 22nd, 2001, 09:22 PM
Admiral

I'm at the Port almost every weekend... taking off lots of groups... and putting more on. 10:30 is quite the borderline. The distance and time by cab from the Port to FLL is minimal... BUT... remember... you cannot control your disembarkation time... Customs can hold up ship clearance, etc. Then... you have to find your bags and pass out to the cab line... and... you may have some wait till you get a cab. THEN, when you arrive at the airport... well... getting there inside of a half hour from departure time (and weekend departures tend to be on or near on time) is a prescription for missing the flight... all told... I would look to the later flight. If you get to the airport early, you can always check to see if they'll take you standby on the earlier flight. If they have space, and the time, you will be accommodated at no extra charge. If, however, you book and then miss the earlier flight... you may find yourself looking at a completely full later flight... and then "they've" got you.

Ernie
Old March 23rd, 2001, 06:18 PM
TWOFER

Wish that I could word a reply as well as you just did! This is solid advice. Can't ever count on when you will be off the ship. Have always used cruise line suggestion of not booking a return flight before noon, no matter what time is listed for port arrival.
Old March 23rd, 2001, 09:29 PM
Admiral

A wise plan of action, Twofer! Thanks for the nice words.
Old March 24th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the great advise. I have changed my outbound flight to 12:10. Why ruin a wonderful vacation with a travel nightmare!

Thanks again.

Deb
Old March 24th, 2001, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Default making early flight and HELP ME WITH SOMETHING!

You will have to get up early anyway that day-- usually they want everyone of out their rooms by 8 am. the wait is usually in a lobby or lounge I think the only problem would be if the ship arrived in port late --
the airport is only a few minutes away; don't take the cruise transfers and take a taxi or arrange a limo service to meet you.
the limo service we are using says that 9 am is the usual pickup time, for first off the ship, but that many times people are off earlier and can call the car to be picked up earlier. If you know you are going to be late you can always stand by for the next flight out.
The cruise line says dont take a flight out of FLl before 11 and 12 out of mia--

BTW I am having a serious problem getting this message board to load!!! i have a cable modem, and have no problems with anything other than this -- what is my problem?? can some one help me?
Old March 25th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

We we're on a 10:10 flight home. We had early disembarkation and were off the Millenium by 8.45 and at the airport by 9.20.

Honestly, I was a little stressed those last few minutes when we were waiting to get off the boat, but the process is fast and the terminal is efficient.