Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Default Anyone heard about Titanic 2?

I was watching the Discovery Channel the other evening, they had a special on Cruise Ships. They mentioned that a cruise line whose name currently escapes me is in the process of manufacturing the Titanic 2. Has anyone else heard about this? What line was it, was it Cunard?? I think its still on the drawing board scheduled for 2003.
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Anyone heard about Titanic 2?

It isn't Cunard. They are building the Queen Mary 2, a megaship of 150,000 tons. I don't think it is a previous cruiseline that is building Titanic 2, but haven't a clue how they can call it a replica of the original. Who is going to sail in steerage? Will the ship be air conditioned? the original wasn't. There was no entertainment other than music on the original. Will this one have a theater? There were no bars either, although you could certainly drink. Will it be a steamship with people down in the bottom of the ship shoveling coal? Will the food be like it was in 1912? I hope not, but how can it be a replica of the original without the heavy Edwardian food. It sounds like a great big ripoff to me.

Carole
Old March 27th, 2001, 09:26 PM
Admiral

This a recurring story, started heavens knows where, that simply will not go away. Carole is exactly right. That ship, and others of its day, simply could not make "muster" in the 21st Century... for a whole bunch of reasons... not to mention such considerations as "SOLAS" regulations, air conditioning, food storage systems, plumbing, etc.
Old March 28th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Its not a replica. They said it was going to be a 21st century version of the orignal. No Steerage, etc. A really modern ship. My question was, who would want to sail on it anyway - with that infamous name attached?? It would really give me the creeps.
Old March 28th, 2001, 08:08 PM
slavearlen

I have heard the same story and in fact, friends have called to tell me the same thing. I even looked on the internet and found nothing. Have no idea where this is coming from or if it is factual. Seems like a expensive and complicated idea!
Old March 29th, 2001, 09:19 PM
David Starkey

The story about Titanic 2 comes from Popular Science or Popular Mechanics. I read the issue 6-12 months ago but can't remember which one the article was in.
It was on the cover of the magizine and had about a 2-3 page feature article about the proposed ship.....sorry in can't remember what issue or which mag.