Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2001, 02:09 AM
Passenger

Default To Berth or Not to Berth? or Fore vs Aft

We are a family of 3 (2 adults & a 12 year old daughter)traveling on the Century in June. Our current cabin is in the front of the ship where we would have to add a cot to the room to accomodate all three of us. We have been offered an aft cabin on the bottom deck below the diningroom that has an upper berth. We know the upper berth would give us more cabin space, but we are wondering about noise from the "engine room" or whatever would be below us, and diningroom noise from above. Can anyone help me out with some advice?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2001, 11:54 AM
First Mate

Default Re: To Berth or Not to Berth? or Fore vs Aft

Hi Thom,

Where exactly is the forward cabin? If you are all the way forward in a Cat. 8 cabin then I'd make the change. Otherwise if you are at least 20% back from the front then its a toss up really. You'll really not get much noise from either the engines nor the dining room but you will have some strong vibrations sometimes when the ship is using thrusters.

The other factor is the size of your 12 year old and wheather or not its important for your lowers to be pushed together as a queen.

Which itinerary are you cruising? I think that you'll love the ship.

Hobbsey
Old April 11th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Passenger

Thanks for you input. Our forward cabin is a Category 8 ... #5001 and you can't get any farther forward than that. Our daughter is 5'2", pretty much adult size here in Hong Kong, so even with the vibration I think we'd be better off with the upper berth. We are sailing on Century June 23 on the Western Caribbean itenerary.
Old April 12th, 2001, 08:29 AM
First Mate

I'd go for the aft cabin, an upper berth will give you more room and also when the drop the anchor you will certainly know it in the front of the ship! Also, much more motion in front.
Old April 13th, 2001, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Yes Thom, as Judy says...if there are high seas at all you'll really feel the ride up front. You do have a tendering stop in Grand Cayman so the anchor will be used.

Go to the back if you can get it.

Cheers.
Old April 15th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Bill Driehorst

We just got off the Century Western Caribbean -- had a great time. Our first cruise. We were on level 4, room 4115, just ahead of the back stairs--we had two overhead bunks that pulled down. Our two kids are 12 and 15. It was tight, but not too bad. We didn't hear that much noise--my wife heard glasses and dishes one night, but I didn't hear anything. There is some vibration in the dining room during dinner as you are close to the propellers, so I am told, but I never felt that much in our room. I heard some hydraulic-type noises in the room, probably from the stabilizers, but it wasn't an issue. I like "white noise" when I sleep, anyway, so if it has to be perfectly quiet for you to sleep, you may have trouble. The little rumbling and vibrations I heard and felt just lulled me to sleep, anyway. You are so tired anyway!!