Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Ricko

Default Open Deck Space On Infinity

OK, now I'm worried... got a grrreeeat deal on an early season
cruise to Alaska on Infinity... but after looking at what pics I can find, it seems there is very little open deck space, and absolutely none on the fore and aft... I have sailed on the Sun class ships of Princess to Alaska before; these ships have LOTS of space... really needed in Alaska... any thoughts? Anybody know of any outside "secret spots"? Or where I can find more pics of the ship? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Benjamin Smith

Default Re: Open Deck Space On Infinity

There may be some on the bow if it is open otherwise it's like the Millennium, deck space is all on the top, promende deck is wide, but only at the sides of the ship, doesn't wrap around front or back. I did Alaska on the Galaxy, outstanding ship with a wonderful forward observation area and enough aft decking to view the scenery from differnent vantage points. Galaxy also has nice HUGE windows in her observation lounge, considerably larger than Millie/Infinity. Sames holds true for Mercury, though not for Century. Galaxy or Mercury may be an option if your interested and could get a similar deal. Are either of them doing Alaska this season?

HAL has great deck space, best of the new ships. Grand Princess, new Carnival Spirit type ships like the Atlantica (and the new HAL ships will also use these hull design), and now the Millie class ships seem to feature balcony space and now at the expense of public deck space. But, the Grand's promenade does wrap around, though on different levels.
Old April 12th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ben:
Let's keep the record straight. In 14 cruises I have never been able to get on the
bow--ala the Titanic. All of them had more open space than the new mega-ships,but it is all high above the bridge. Infinity has limited "open space" above
the Constellation Lounge, but the windows in the Lounge are as large as any I
have ever seen. In fairness, the newer "hotels" do not provide the large open
decks that many of us like when going through the Canal or watching the glaciers
in Alaska. Hard to have everything!!!!
Old April 12th, 2001, 10:02 PM
Benjamin Smith

Lew,

You can get access to the bow on Holland America ships. I did it on the Veendam (that was in 1998, hope they haven't discontiued this access). I hear that it is possible on the Voyager of the Seas class ships as well.

I was on the Millie at night and her ceilings are not as high as the Galaxy/Mercury. The windows on the Galaxy/Mercury are pretty much floor to ceiling windows.

The Statendam and Rotterdam class new ships have excellent deck space, in addition to access to the bow. These are excellent ships for sailing scenic fyords, canals, coastlines, rivers.
Old April 12th, 2001, 11:02 PM
First Mate

Ben-
If I recall right on the Galaxy and Mercury the windows are taller only because the areas in front of the glass drop down. If you are standing in the center of the room it is no different than the Millennium/Infinity clones. The space along the windows on the Century class ships was great for cocktails or quiet time as it was seperated from the main room by its lowered floor. But YES, they did have a different point of view and it seemed like you were literally outside. But you can't participate in all those things that they do on the Millennium if you are isolated in a niche area of the room. I preferred the isolation.

jeff
Old April 13th, 2001, 12:21 AM
Benjamin Smith

Here's a link to pics of the large windows of the Mercury's Navigator Club and Galaxy's Stratosphere.

http://whynottravel.net/Mercury/mercurylounge4.jpg
http://whynottravel.net/Mercury/mercurylounge3.jpg
http://whynottravel.net/Galaxy/galaxylounge3.jpg
http://whynottravel.net/Galaxy/galaxylounge2.jpg

Compare these to Cosmos on Millennium from Bart de Boer

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...658&Sequence=0

The windows are indeed large on the Millie but appear to be even larger on Mercury/Galaxy. As you can see both Galaxy and Mercury have a lower and upper level in their clubs. Maybe Millie/Infinity are more wheelchair friendly, however.
Old April 13th, 2001, 12:56 AM
Ricko

Thanks for the input...
I know this is a Celebrity board, but in response to Ben's comment about never getting to the bow, this is the reason I love the Sun class of Princess ships... they all have open space at the bow on 3 decks... great for viewing the scenery as you sail into Glacier Bay... as well as 3 open spaces on the back, for the trip out... it just ain't the same seeing it thru glass(especially in the rain... every body goes inside, and if you have good raingear, you have the space to yourself)...
Old April 13th, 2001, 07:52 AM
OLDMAN

Pleanty of open space on Deck 11. We just returned from the 3-28 Hawaii cruise and the threat of crowding and "chair saving" were non-existent. Deck 10, which is really protected, was never at full capacity.
Old April 13th, 2001, 01:36 PM
nicstress

Ricko,

Decks 10 and 11 has a lot of open space, As does deck 12 (and a platform above that), at the bow, where there is a nice area to view the open seas. Like someone else said, the Constellation (Forward) will be very popular, but that room is HUGE and the windows are floor to ceiling clear glass, excellent for viewing, especially if it is chilly outside. The Ocienview Grill and Cafe also have floor to ceiling windows for climate-controlled viewing. And there is an outdoor deck, aft of the Oceanview Cafe, that offers tables and chairs, as well as a bar. It is lovely back there. If you eat in the dining room, the whole back wall is windows. They put down a mural to cover them at night when we were sailing to Hawaii (nothing to see, anyway), but if we were in port overnight, it was open. I am sure they wouldn't close it in Alaska, so you will have fantastic views during dinner. There is a lot of space on the promenade deck as well. So, if you don't have a balcony, you will definitely find viewing areas for Alaska. And you will definitely enjoy sailing on a HUGE new ship.

Nicole (Infinity March 17th to Hawaii)
Old April 13th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Matt

From what I of pics of the Millenium and the Infinity the only real open space is
on the promenade deck but other deck space is non-existent and really does not have any appeal to me to sail these ships like the Century series ships that Celebrity has in the fleet.
Old April 14th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Carole Dunham

Ben, I was just on the Amsterdam and there is a small part of the Lido deck that is open, but for the actual bow of the ship, it is off limits to passengers. After my nightmare cruise on that ship, I am limiting myself to Celebrity and Princess. I love verandah cabins so would have no trouble booking a verandah cabin in Alaska and just staying put. The captain turns the ship around when there are sights to be seen, so would have no reason to want to be anywhere else. I don't like the verandahs on the Sun class ships. I find them very claustrophobic being inside the hull the way they are. Like the Sun class ships overall though. Maybe now that my daughter's salary is much higher than it used to be, we can afford to sail Raddison's new Mariner in Alaska. And wouldn't that be a treat. Probably would never want to sail a non ultra deluxe ship again, .

Carole
Old April 16th, 2001, 01:52 AM
First Mate

Rick;

I want to reiterate Nichole's suggestion about the outdoor deck aft of the Ocean View Grill. Probably room (seating) for about 100 and seldom used when we went to Hawaii (3/28). Chose many mornings to enjoy breakfast there and many afternoons for a snack. Never had anything that even came close to resembling a problem finding seating. Also, Oldman is right about deck 11 ... wide open air.

Enjoy yourself.

Tom
Old April 16th, 2001, 08:23 AM
psupa

To add to the above, on deck 4 of the Infinity, both Port and Starboard sides, there is an open deck with chairs, and not usually crowded.