Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2001, 07:41 PM
First Mate

Default Alalska Cruise Wear

Dumb First Timer Question:

Will be on first cruise on Infinity at end of May. I know I have read where everyone says to dress in layers but is it okay to wear jeans for shore excursions. I don't to look out of place but it would seem cold to me hiking up a glacier with slacks on.

Am I crazy?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2001, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Alalska Cruise Wear

Steve,
Jeans are fine for shore excursions, wear whatever you will be comfortable walking in.
The Infinity is a wonderful ship, and Alaska is breathtaking-Have fun.
Cher
Old April 21st, 2001, 10:56 AM
Eva

I am glad that we saw the posting from Steve. We are cruising Alaska on June 1st and were also wondering what type of clothing to bring with us. This will be our first non-caribbean cruise and are concerned as to appropriate clothes to bring. Also - we have our two kids coming with us - ages 8 and 12. Anything special we should bring for them? Any advice would be certainly appreciated!
Old April 21st, 2001, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Packing properly for Alaska is a bit strange. Basically u want to pack for all 4 seasons, because u can see all them<G>
Blue jeans are absolutely fine for excursions, and in fact, on casual nights we saw many people wearing them in the dining room. I guess because it's Alaska dress codes are relaxed
At any rate, wearing clothes u can layer is the key! T shirts for the bottom layer, a sweat shirt ( I like to use a "hoody".. saves bringing a touque) or sweater next, then perhaps a fleece vest ( I got alot of use out of that). Then, of course, rain wear (hoping u wont need it), and either something like a polartec jacket, ski jacket, or lined windbreaker.
Gloves are a good idea, and don't forget the binoculars!

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Join us for a CruiseMates Group Cruise <http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old April 21st, 2001, 05:01 PM
JeffCoud

Definitely plan on bringing rain wear! Kuki had the one dry week in August last year...the week before we went on the Galaxy. Plan on getting wet at least a little bit!

Jeff
Old April 22nd, 2001, 01:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ditto on the rainwear. Went mid-June of 2000 and had rain in Juneau the entire day we were there. Jeans or anything you'd wear hiking are just fine for the shore excursions and also for just kicking around the ship. Take something nice for the casual and informal nights for dinner. We're going again this year in late May and will be packing much lighter. Jeans, Polartec, rain gear and gloves for the days and a couple of nice outfits (plus the tux/evening dress for formal nights) for dinner. Have fun.
Old April 23rd, 2001, 12:59 PM
Allison

Kuki covered it all, it is a strange trip to pack for, especially when you throw the formal wear! Binoculars are a must. We will be on Infinity May 18, right before you, our second time in Alaska. 23 days, can't wait...
Old April 23rd, 2001, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kudos to Kuki for his advice on wearing warm clothing when you are cruising in
Glacier Bay or College Fjord. Winds can be very cool and a hooded coat and
gloves will be welcomed.
Old April 24th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Admiral

A Polartec lined jacket works out great. Lightweight but warm. Don't forget a pair of gloves and a hat, especially usefull cruising glacier bay and climbing or landing on a glacier. It is damp and cold. Good rubber soled shoes are a must and a few pair of heavier socks. Layering is the important thing; a t-shirt or even LS Turtleneck with sweatshirt or sweater then the jacket. Buy one of those cheap rain ponchos that folds up at Walmart as it always rains in Ketchican. Evening dress is basically the same: Smart Casual, Informal and Formal. Don't forget a swim suit for the enclosed pool and hot tubs, but you won't need many pairs of summer shorts and tops. If you like to use the gym, maybe one gym style shorts and t shirt will be enough along with a nylon jogging style suit if you care to walk or jog.
Bon Voyage
Old April 26th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Admiral

In my experience for someone who spends a lot of Alaska time out doors, I do not like jeans- they tend to get and stay damp. I no longer take them to Alaska- (2 trips per year). I also do not take a winter coat and always take a removable lined nylon jacket - lightweight and quick drying. with layers. A must - knit hat and gloves. I always do my laundry in Skagway- am usually done in 1 hour and 15 min. due to the great propane dryers. Located at Second and State- have been going there for years. Also have done it in Seward and in Juneau when I have a car.