Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Mary Jean

Default Catalina Island -Snorkeling?

We just returned from the W.Caribbean on Mille and had a wonderful time. I am thinking about booking next year's cruise on Mille to the E. Caribbean. I have seen some info on Catalina Island, but specifically, what I am wondering, is can you snorkel right off the beach?
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Catalina Island -Snorkeling?

I just got off the Millie Eastern on Sun. There is a roped off area on the beach for snorkeling - not good visibility, since waves are crashing against the cliff there, the water was stirred up, and there was literally nothing to see, coral, plant life, or fish.

You may have been able to go down to the other end of the beach from where everything is going on and snorkeled there, but waves were crashing on the beach, and there wasn't a protected area or anything. Maybe someone else found a better place there. We are divers, and it certainly wasn't anything that even a beginner snorkeler would have gotten excited over.Mary Jean wrote:
>
> We just returned from the W.Caribbean on Mille and had a
> wonderful time. I am thinking about booking next year's
> cruise on Mille to the E. Caribbean. I have seen some info
> on Catalina Island, but specifically, what I am wondering, is
> can you snorkel right off the beach?
Old April 24th, 2001, 02:06 PM
hct

We were at Catalina in March on Mercury (seems like eons ago) We carried our snorkeling equip with us but never went...The area was small, a far swim out,near high rocks w/ rough water & did not seem appealing to fairly inexperienced snorkelers..the rental snorkels appeared to be of low quality (sanitation?) & NO floatation vests. Also there were no lifeguards. (Compared to Coco Cay whihc is a fabulous snorkeling spot for non-pros--well it can't compare, although we did not go into the water) Those who went in said it was OK but had we known, we would have gone to Altos de Chavon where our tablemates had a great day. Catalina to me wasn't fun. A long wait in the theatre to be tendered to the island. The tenders were the lifeboats , whihc rocked & rolled all the way. Others on this message board had a different experience (see old messages)but we were disappointed. We had fun snorkeling in Nassau on the Catamaran trip. Many had signed up so we had a large Catamaran that left from the dock a short walk from the ship. There was a beautiful & scenic ride along the shore past Paradise Island & beautiful homes & we went to a beatiful spot with lots of fish, plant life, nice reef & stingrays. The water was rough due to weather conditions but there was good supeprvision from those in charge...A fun trip that left enough time to go shopping in Nassau after we returned.. Hope this helps but everyone has his or her own opinion, this is just mine.
Old April 24th, 2001, 03:28 PM
First Mate

The snorkeling there was very poor-- I don't there there is anywhere else to do it either -- I was extremely disappointed in this stop-- mostly because of the poor tender service-- Getting there was ok, but getting off-- what a nightmare-- probably took us an hour or longer to wait in line then 30 minutes to board, but the boat was rocking pretty badly, so getting off was hard too! There are lots of beach chairs, but we should have staying on the ship!
Old April 25th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Yeoman

Re: Barbara's post - the snorkeling wasn't good, as I previously stated, but I wonder what time you got off the ship on the tender? We had NO PROBLEM and NO WAIT - seas were high, no fault of anyone's - but we went ashore at 10:00 am, and got right on a tender, it took us 10 minutes all together. The island was beautiful, lots of activities, they would get you a chair if you needed one - you could have went down the beach and been alone if you wanted to walk a little farther. Guess you can't please everyone.
Old April 26th, 2001, 10:17 PM
First Mate

Getting on the island was no problem we left around 11 am -- we didn't have to wait at all -- but leaving was a nightmare. It was about 2: 30 i think -- The large tender left empty with some crew on it-- and the small lifeboats were the only ones running at the time.
Old April 28th, 2001, 08:43 PM
lovethesun

We went snorkling on Catalina in March. We had a great sunny day. We are beginng snorklers but we loved it. We saw plenty of coral, fish and sea life. It probably depends on the weather. We also had no problem getting to or from the island. It was a perfect day!