Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2001, 05:32 PM
cheryl elblonk

Default alaska cruise on Mercury

Hi all, we are booked on the Mercury as the second part of a two week pkg to alaska. We are booked on the Panorama deck, I think it is deck 5...Anyone sailed her for this cruise? We will be on the ship June 29th, I believe. Does anyone know if the whale watching side trip is a good one? How about the Misty Fjords seaplane adventure? Is there another side trip anyone would recommend, outside of the helicopter trip to the Mendenhall glacier? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: alaska cruise on Mercury

We are a group of ten going on this cruise. This weekend we decided to do the glacier walk in Juneau, the train,bus and gold panning trip in Skagway,the otter wilderness cruise in Skita and because we will be in Ketichan for the 4th of July we thought we would just celebrate around the town. I emailed their chamber of commerce and they said they would have a parade at 11 am, games and a fair type atmosphere. If you would like, email me directly.
Old April 29th, 2001, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: alaska cruise on Mercury

Whale watching in Alaska is OK. I always spend my time marine wildlife watching from the ship but few people are willing to invest the considerable time necessary. Actually Alaska does not even make the top 10 sites for whale watching. The areas are so vast with rich feeding, unlike Ma. where the feeding areas are concentrated and therefore large numbers of whales in small areas. Out of Juneau expect whale watching tours to run about $100+ with likely sightings of 6-8 humpbacks, orcas only likely in the area of Auke Bay every 5-10 days. Book independently with a small boat. Much better than the ship tours. I whale watch coast to coast and know of likely areas from the ship. Email me your route if you would like this information. It is necessary to watch from the front open decks with a good pair of wide angle binoculars- from a balcony cabin you have cut your sightings by over 50%. Dress warm in layer with a knit hat and gloves. You will be richly rewarded!!!