CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Lost Luggage Process @ Celebrity? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/206538-lost-luggage-process-celebrity.html)

Tim April 30th, 2001 11:08 PM

Lost Luggage Process @ Celebrity?

We had the good fortune of sailing Easter Week on Millie. Almost everything about our first cruise experience was GREAT !! We also took advantage of the day prior program thru Celebrity which was to make for a more relaxing start. However, one issue persists. One of our pieces of luggage never made it to the ship ... and is still missing to this day (2+ weeks later). Not that we were supposed to do it, but we did go down to the baggage claim to ensure all of our pieces made it to Ft Lauderdale ... and they did. With that said, does anyone know who is responsible at that point?

We talked with Guest Relations on the ship. They provided daily voice mails on the status of our luggage. Upon disembarkation we were directed by Nina to follow up with Celebrity in Miami. Has anybody tried to contact Celebrity's Customer Relations or Risk Management Dept?

We left voice mails from which we were to receive a follow up call within 48 hours ... no follow up call. We called again, today. Wanda's voice mail was "Full" accepting no new messages. Contacted Customer Relations (15 Minutes on hold) who was to transfer our call to a live person in Risk Management. We were on hold for another 5 minutes until our call was ended by the sound of a dial tone.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how we might achieve resolution?

Thanks,
Tim

Ron May 1st, 2001 01:23 AM

Re: Lost Luggage Process @ Celebrity?

I had a similar experience with RCI, owner of Celebrity. We had a piece of luggage stolen from the terminal in Barcelona. After several unsuccessful attempts to get through to RCI's Risk Management and baggage tracking folks, my wife was somehow able to reach a live person in the corporate offices! From there, she was given an inside telephone number to Human Resources and finally got through to Risk Management. By that time, I had written a detailed letter to the CEO of RCI, that resulted in a call from a dedicated and service minded Customer Relations Department representative. To make a long story short, after four months of negotiations with both Customer Relations and Risk Management, we were able to settle on $600 cash, a 50% off certificate for a future cruise, and a $300 certificate for an additional cruise. My recommendation, try to reach a real live person in corporate at Celebrity and work it from there. Customer service re lost luggage is a joke with RCI and I would guess at Celebrity as well. Good luck and let me know if I can give you any other pointers. By the way, we had insurance from Travel Guard and AMEX, so monetarily, we made out very well.

Tim May 1st, 2001 06:45 AM

Ron

It sounds like RCI and Celebrity have merged into one big happy family. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll keep you posted and may take you up on some additional pointers. It has only been 2 weeks for us, so we'll be at this for a while.

Many thanks,
Tim

Kellie May 1st, 2001 08:18 AM

Have your Travel Agent contact them. Perhaps she can get a inside number for you. Did you have travelers insurance? Another thing, homeowners insurance does cover lost or stolen baggage while traveling. Good Luck!

hct May 1st, 2001 02:21 PM

I hope you will keep us posted. This is the biggest fear we had when we cruised. There's no way to tell how far the luggage has made it in the process between airport check-in, arrival & the transfer to the ship & then to the cabin. The little paper tags can so easily fall off. I saw on airline tags are never tracked so they are meaningless to anyone wanting to track luggage. So pls keep us informed of your progress. To me--no matter what the consolation prize(and some do better thanothers in their negiotiations)--I'd rather have my luggage & contents back anyday....Anyone else with idea, please share!

Nanatravel May 1st, 2001 03:48 PM

Since you know that the airlines is not responsible, keeping pursuing the issue directly with Celebrity in Miami. Insist they check their port terminal everyday from which you emnbarked. Your luggage has probably been on more cruises than you have! It will most likely show up in the port terminal soon. If you need to place a claim, you must do it first with your homeowners's insurance then wait for settlement, then put it through your travel insurance (if applicable). Lots of work!
Good Luck

Nanatravel May 1st, 2001 03:48 PM

Since you know that the airlines is not responsible, keeping pursuing the issue directly with Celebrity in Miami. Insist they check their port terminal everyday from which you emnbarked. Your luggage has probably been on more cruises than you have! It will most likely show up in the port terminal soon. If you need to place a claim, you must do it first with your homeowners's insurance then wait for settlement, then put it through your travel insurance (if applicable). Lots of work!
Good Luck

Tim May 6th, 2001 11:55 PM

Since I put this out on the boards, I thought I would follow up with an update. It took 3 weeks, but our lost bag showed up on the doorstep yesterday morning. I think Nantravel is right -- this bag has probably been on more cruises than we have. I am relieved that we will not have to experience what Ron went through with his situation in Barcelona ... only a couple of weeks worth. During this entire experience we were never updated after we left the ship. Voice mail boxes were eventually emptied but we never heard back. We e-mailed ... nothing. And just as we were about to write the President of Celebrity, our bag showed up. Somewhere along the way the process was working; we just didn't know about it. I appreciate your taking time to share your experiences and advice.

Happy Sailing !!
Tim