Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Kerry Jo

Default ships in port question

I'm on the Millie 5/31 cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona. We stay in port at Istanbul overnight, then leave the next afternoon. After we board the ship on the 31st, how free are you to come on and off the trip? We're planning on taking a private tour on the 31st, but I don't know if there are specific times you can get on and off in port, or if you can simply come and go as you please. I do know you have to get back on the ship at least 1 hour before takeoff.

I've never cruised before! Does anyone know??

Thanks,
KJ
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: ships in port question

KJ
You may come and go as you please. You'll need your Celebrity ID card (I think they still use them) to get on board, though. Again, think of it as your hotel, it only travels WITH you to different locations.
Robert
Old May 15th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you go on and off the ship in Istanbul, you may need to take your passport and
visa with you--you will be going into Turkey "on your own". Be sure and check
this with your TA.
Old May 15th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

As far as the ship being a hotel that travels WITH you - be advised that it can also travel WITHOUT! you.....i.e., be aware of the time of departure when in each port. It will be clearly stated that paxs are responsible for getting themselves to the next port if they "MISS THE SHIP". (!)

While it is correct that while in port you may come and go as you please, just watch the clock - we've known folks who have, for whatever reason, simply NOT made it back to the ship in time for departure!

Enjoy the Medit. It is wonderful!

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old May 17th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Admiral

In Europe, always carry your passport and any necessary Visas with you on land. Leave copies in your safe, just in case of loss.
bon Voyage
Old May 19th, 2001, 02:52 PM
AR

In fact, in many travel-related stores and catalogs you can find a flat pouch on a string that's made to go around your neck and under clothing. Great place to carry passports, etc.

To add another thought to the "getting back on time" issue, be sure to note that often they'll ask all passengers to be on board a half hour or so before the actual sailing time. This is especially important at stops using tenders. The last tender sometimes leaves a good half hour before actual sailing time to give them time to haul up the tenders and secure everything. If you miss the tender, you've missed the boat, so beware.

However, none of this should stop you from going and coming as you please while the ship is in port. Just carry your documents and keep your eye on the clock.

AR