Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Duty Free Shop

Can you puchase alcohol at the duty free shop in Ft.Lauderdale and bring it to your cabin or do they hold it until the end of your cruise??
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2001, 10:29 AM
chellie

Default Re: Duty Free Shop

They lock it up tight until the end of your cruise if it is the onbaord shop. Get a bottle at home and put it in your carry on. If you run out, get some in port. It's a new kind of smuggling. :-) They won't hassle you this way.
Old May 21st, 2001, 05:05 PM
Poobah

I think we're talking about the DFS in the Celebrity Terminal at Port Everglades. Some have posted that you can buy liquor there and take it on the ship with you. Can anybody enlighten us on this? Also, in the past I've bought booze at the on-board DFS shop and taken it back to my cabin....have they change their policy on this?
Old May 21st, 2001, 05:54 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

We bought liquor in the duty free shop in Port Everglades prior to sailing on the Century a couple of years ago. They told us to come back to the terminal about an hour before sailing to pick up our order. We had no problem bringing it to our cabin.
Hope this helps.
Old May 21st, 2001, 07:23 PM
danerd

Just this past January, we purchased a couple of bottles of liquor at the duty free shop in the terminal before boarding the Millennium and as richsea just mentioned, were instructed to pick up prior to sailing to take to our cabin--no problem, in fact, it seemed this is what they were encouraging people to do. My relatives did the same the previous January before we all boarded the Mercury. Also, while shopping on board the Millennium, I overheard a passenger that was purchasing liquor being told that they could take their liquor with them back to their cabin.
I hope this helps although I don't understand why some people have experienced just the opposite of what I've experienced twice in the recent past. Anyone have a theory?
Old May 21st, 2001, 08:33 PM
chellie

On Mercury last Sept. my husband and I observed a man who bought liquor onboard and pitched a *&^% when they told him that they would hold it until cruise end.

This was the first night out and we had a whole day at sea the next day. The man really put on a performance! We had our Barcardi stashed in a carry on and took a case of coke on in a brown paper bag. We were all set!
Old May 24th, 2001, 01:20 PM
AR

It's a case of a rule that's not administered consistently.

On the Millie last fall I bought a bottle in the on-board shop (at ridiculously low price), and was told that while I could take it back to the room, I couldn't open it until I got home to the States. The young lady was laughing as she told me this, so I laughed too. Back in the cabin over a drink, I told my wife the story and we laughed again. We left the empty bottle on the dresser at the end of the cruise.

So it's pretty clear that you're not supposed to open what you buy in the on-board shop, but it's also clear that they're inconsistent about how they enforce the rule.

AR