Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Robie

Default Nervous

Booked on the 6-30 Galaxy cruise. Ship is in drydock. We've been told that it should be cruising gain soon. If it does, there is also the threat of American Airlines going on strike . We're flying from Stockholm on AA. We booked our flights with Celebrity. Has anyone been in this situation? Will the cruiseline get it right or should we punt and book alternative air just in case.
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Sandie

Default Re: Nervous

Certainly can understand you being nervous. Whenever your air is handled by the cruiseline, they have the responsibility to get you to the ship. We live on the east coast of the US, and I have not heard anything more about a strike. There has been strike talk for several months. Keep watching the boards for info on Galaxy. You may want to talk with your Travel Agent for more definitive advice.
Wishing you a trouble free foight and smooth sailing on your cruise.
Sandie
Old June 10th, 2001, 08:22 PM
AR

There's a half-page ad in today's New York Times placed by AA flight attendants saying they could go out as early as July 1.

On the other hand, President Dubyuh has said that he's not going to allow any airline strikes this summer. Whether he really has the power to prevent them seems open to some question.

Since you're booked before the earliest threatened date, it's pretty sure you'll get to fly over OK. If, by the time you return, there's a strike in progress, AA will have made arrangements for others to honor tickets. You can have the purser get work on getting you alternate flights during the cruise if it comes to that. You won't be alone.

AR
Old June 10th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Yeoman

This is news to me, we are scheduled to return from our cruise on Mercury from alaska on July 6th, hope we don't get stranded....We are going on the 23rd on Continental, for a 2 week land and cruise, hope we don't have a problem..We used the cruise line for ir too....Cheryl
Old June 11th, 2001, 11:05 AM
AR

Continental isn't American. I don't believe Continental is under a strike threat at this time.
Old June 12th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Yeoman

I meant that we were coming back on American, and going on Continental. I called our travel agent and she said that they will notify us on ship if there is a change in our travel route, or change in airlines. I hope they don't go on strike, I like Ameican, more leg room, a much nicer flight....Cheryl
Old June 13th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Robie

Spoke to Celebrity. They said that once the airline tickets are given out, Celebrity has nothing to do with air arrangements. Nice! They said that it would be up to American to rearrange travel home after the cruise. Since I'm kind of stuck in the middle, I'm going to pray that a strike doesn't happen. If it does, it may take us a lot longer to get back. It wouldn't be the first time our travel plans were crazy. We've experienced many a delay. I'm so bad that I joke with friends and family about traveleing with us. If something can go wrong on a trip, it usually does for us. But, all in all, we usually recover and have fun. We're still hoping for the best.
Old June 13th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

To assist if something does go wrong... be sure u get paper tickets. In the event of problems its much easier dealing with other air lines, using paper as opposed to e tickets.
Regards,
Kuki
<Join us on a CruiseMates Group Cruise... here's how:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old June 13th, 2001, 01:29 PM
hct

On our Mercury cruise in March one regional airline did go out on strike (did not effect us as it was a subsidiary of the company we flew)) but Celebrity kept travelers very well-informed on the last cruise day & worked hard to re-arrange schedules from what we could observe. If celebrity books air & has no role to play why do we pay so much more for air to get last minute bad seats? I thought it was to insure better travel connections should air be a problem. Are strikes an exception, what about weather or other cancellation reasons? I'd like to know because we have booked another cruise taking Celebrity air & it is more expensive. (I assume tickets will also be last min. with seats in rear of plane) Thought the benefit would be Celebrity assistance if something does wrong...
Old June 13th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Cynthia

Once you have booked with Celebrity and they have made the reservations, you can get flight numbers from Celebrity and call for seat assignments. The airline will have your name once Celebrity makes the reservations.
Old June 14th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Re hct: I too have thought the cruise line has some responsibility when you book your air through them. I would really like some clarification about this. It seems to be one of those gray areas. Last April due to mechanical difficulties with our plane we looked to be too late to make our cruise departure from San Juan, and anecdotally fellow travelers said the cruise would pay for a hotel and a flight to our first destination to meet the ship. But the cruise line said nothing about this--didn't say they wouldn't either. Luckily we made the ship by half an hour. At least embarkation was quick! This year we bought travel insurance, especially since we'll be traveling during the winter. Hopefully insurance will make a difference. But it should be status quo for the cruise line to take at least some responsbility when you book through them.