Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Nathalie

Default Which ship should I choose?

Hi,

I am planning a cruise for december 2002 (New year's eve) and would like some advice as for which ship I should choose.

The ships I am thinking about are:

- Constellation,
- Horizon,
- Mercury,
- Galaxy.

Which is best?

Here's what I would like to have on a ship and please tell me which ship has what:

- Jazz lounge,
- Piano bar,
- Martini bar,
- Wine tasting bar,
- Disco (I think all ships have one)

As for entertainments and food I guess that the quality is the same in all ships, right?

Also, if you know some sites where I could look at pictures for those ships, please give me the addresses.

Thank you !
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2001, 06:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Which ship should I choose?

Horizon does not really have a disco. If the itinerary is not important to you, you may want the Mercury -- if Constellation is sister ship of Millie, then that's your choice.
Old June 24th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Benjamin Smith

Nathalie wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am planning a cruise for december 2002 (New year's eve) and
> would like some advice as for which ship I should choose.
>
> The ships I am thinking about are:
>
> - Constellation,
> - Horizon,
> - Mercury,
> - Galaxy.
>
> Which is best?

We all have our favorites. I don't know if anyone can really determine which is best. Constellation isn't built yet (or Summit for that matter), should be something like the Millie and Infinity. Mercury and Galaxy are the same size and have the same layout but feel like different ships inside. Horizon may be considered the most cozy and modest yet her new areas rival in style and quality her newer, more luxurious, sisters.

>
> Here's what I would like to have on a ship and please tell me
> which ship has what:
>
> - Jazz lounge,
> - Piano bar,
> - Martini bar,
> - Wine tasting bar,
> - Disco (I think all ships have one)

None of these ships have piano bars or specifically jazz lounges though there's plenty of jazz in the Rendezvous Lounge and nightclub at times. The newer Millennium class ships, which the Constellation will be, do not have nightclubs that feature music and dancing. Wine tasting is usually done in the nightclub, also - not sure where they do it on the Millie class ships. And all of them have martini bars and the one that is best would be a personal preference. The Mercury and Galaxy have discos towards the back of their observation lounges, in fact, that's where all of them are located now.

>
> As for entertainments and food I guess that the quality is
> the same in all ships, right?
>

Not necessarily. Depends on the entertainers and I think the head chef can matter in terms of food quality. The type of entertainment will be similar, however and for food, menus and buffet offerings.

> Also, if you know some sites where I could look at pictures
> for those ships, please give me the addresses.

Bart de Boer has excellent pics of the Galaxy and Millennium at
http://psp.club.tip.nl/
http://www.whynottravel.com has pics of the Mercury.

FWIW, my favorite is the Galaxy. I've been aboard all except the Infinity.
Old June 25th, 2001, 12:47 AM
First Mate

Maybe it's because we took our first cruise on her, but we're partial to Galaxy. Also have been on Infinity (sister to Constellation) and she was also wonderful. We're Celebrity fans, but if you like more active clubs you may want to consider Royal. Celeb cruisers tend to be older; however, our last Celeb cruise was 11 days and that may have a little something to do with that too. The food and entertainment was fabulous on Infinity ... don't miss any of the Celebrity Singer shows!!
Old June 25th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Horizon (1,400 people) was our 1st. cruise with the Millennium (2,000 people) being our last of Celebrity ships and we are booked on the Galaxy (1,800 people). The Stratosphere and Cosmos on Galaxy/Millennium would have your disco venues late each evening although, the big band sound for a variety of dancing music was very popular on Millie in Cosmos. The signature Rendezvous Lounge on all Celebrity ships usually offers a trio, pianist or music for listening and dancing each evening. We thoroughly enjoyed The Platinum club as the Champagne/Martini bar just above the Rendezvous on Millinneum class ships; Champagne bar one side/Martini bar the other with an open atrium which allows the music to rise for both floors (no dancing at Platnium). We did find the Rendezvus a little smokey before & after dinner as is just outside the dining rooms on Millie. I have yet to experience a Jazz club or Wine bar on board, but most Vision Class RCI ships have a piano bar in the atrium lobby including space for dancing which we have enjoyed. Celebrity tends not to utilize its atrium lobbies for music, possibly only a pianist on an upper level. Wine tastings are held on most ships and the place will vary from the dining room to a lounge area. The new Cova cafe had a musician playing the harp during the day on Millie. Food on Celebrity is one of their positive features and a reason we still rate them #1 as well as excellent service. All New Years cruises are priced higher as a rule too than at other times of the season.

Bon Voyage