Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Buffy

Default Should I take My 2 year old

I am thinking of booking a 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Sailing on the Century. Do you think this ship is okay for a two year old?

Buffy
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2001, 05:32 PM
jsea

Default Dangerous topic...

I wouldn't mind, but many cruisers are absolutely against infants and younger children setting sail. Be careful...

~~~
jsea
Old June 28th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Mary Lou

Default Re: Should I take My 2 year old

Buffy:
I have sailed Celebrity ships three times. There were young children on every one of the cruises. I'm sure the cruiseline would be very accomadating to a toddler.
Good luck!
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Absolutely! Its your vacation and you're paying for it. If you would like to bring your two year old along, go ahead. He will have a great time!
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Buffy wrote:
>
> I am thinking of booking a 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Sailing
> on the Century. Do you think this ship is okay for a two
> year old?
>
> Buffy

Buffy,
Honestly, I really think 2 is a bit young to start building our next generation of cruisers. It will most certainly limit your cruise experience as well. It will likely limit your time in the dining room, evening show's, shore tours, and even relaxing time on deck.
U're likely to find SOME babysitting services available for hire, but 2 is too young for the childrens programs, so the vast majority of the babies care will fall on u.
Just like it is at home, I know.... but not positive that's what u want on vacation.

<<Author: Cruiser (---.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com)
<Date: 06-28-01 20:03

<Absolutely! Its your vacation and you're paying for it. If you would like to bring <your two year old along, go ahead. He will have a great time!<<

As for Cruiser's advice. I'd have to say I DISAGREE there too.
First off, I'm not quite sure how a 2 year old would have a GREAT time on a cruise..
other than perhaps the extra time spent with his/her parents.

Secondly.. everyone onboard is paying for their vacations!! Things are gonna get pretty wild onboard if they all do whatever they want, without consideration for their fellow passengers.

I cruise with my kids quite a bit.. and I don't really have an opinion of what the magic age to begin is for optimum enjoyment for all concerned, but do think 2 is still young.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:45 PM
AGDP

Hi Buffy --
ABSOLUTELY, take your two year old - I have two young children and BOTH have been on cruises YOUNGER than your child.

However, at age 2, I would consider another cruise line. Princess and Carnival are the only cruise lines that take two year olds in their organized programs. Disney, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Celebrity - kids need to be three, and HAL five to participate in organized group activities. Now, Disney and Celebrity offer babysitting for young children for a fee. If I were you, I'd take Carnival or Princess.

I think Kuki is wrong stating that a two year old doesn't get much out of it. Well, who the heck knows what's in the mind of a two year old anyway? The only thing that matters is the smile on your child's face; that's all that counts. As for dinnertime keep a backpack full of goodies to keep your two year old happy.
I go to the Dollar Store and pick up small things and wrap them to give to my kids each night at dinner. They only get it "IF" they were good through dinner -- a total reward challenge!! Play Doh, crayons, coloring books, large beads to place on a string, a doll, etc...whatever makes your child happy bring. Granted, it's a lot of planning, but I speak from experience -- it can work. It's the parents that don't plan ahead that end up having a miserable time.

Cruising is family friendly; they key is to pick the right cruise line for your needs. Have fun!

A
Old June 29th, 2001, 09:10 AM
First Mate

OK, I personally would not take a two year old on a cruise. At that age they are happier at some little resort where they can spend their days happily building sand castles with Mom and Dad. At least that was the type of vacation we had when our child was that age. I also do not think it is fair to a toddler to expect a child of that age to sit through a two hour dinner. My advise, if possible, go on the cruise alone and leave your toddler with devoted Grandparents.
Old June 29th, 2001, 12:17 PM
LinecoachARHS

What enjoyment could a two year old possibly get out of going on a cruise? I agree with a previous poster - take him/her to the beach and let him/her play in the sand.
Old June 29th, 2001, 12:28 PM
AGDP

Unless someone has actually taken a two-year-old on a cruise they really don't know what they are talking about. I have taken 2 children at that age, and they had a great time. The KEY is to pick the right cruise line. I don't think Celebrity would be the best choice for young children; Carnival and Princess would be. I think comments saying leave the kids at grandmas are completely self-serving. Ships are pretty big; I think there is plenty of room for all. AGDP wrote:
Old June 29th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Ronmar

AGDP wrote "Unless someone has actually taken a two-year-old on a cruise they really don't know what they are talking about. "

NOT TRUE! Those that spend 2 hours dining at the same dinner table as the 2 year old probably would have at least an opinion on this. As with ALL cruisers, we should consider the others onboard with us. Count me on the side of leaving a 2 year old at home for at least a few years then take one of the cruiselines that are suited for the younger crowd.
Old June 29th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Buffy

Wow i had no idea that a simple question would be such a shander. Thank you Mary Lou, Cruiser and AGDP for the good advice and encouragement. I am looking into Princess as AGPD suggested. I think this will better fit our needs.
The rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves! My two year old has better manners than you people.

Buffy
Old June 30th, 2001, 07:55 AM
First Mate

People hear only what they want to hear!
Old June 30th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Hi, Buffy ...

Tots on cruise ships has historically been a hot topic.

Don't worry that you started a discussion. That's what we are here for, so long as it doesn't get nasty.

In the best of all possible worlds, you could do as a friend did. Bring along an au pair and take two adjoining cabins. That way, when you and Mr. Buffy are done for the evening, the au pair can hit the disco and you can leave the door open so you can hear the baby.

That said, the problems associated with carting along a toddler are not insignificant. From the frazzled young parents I've observed chasing kids on cruise ships, it doesn't look like a very romantic or relaxing vacation for Mom and Dad.

Keep in mind that babysitters are usually staff members who sit when it suits them.

Overall, I'm in the camp that says "not such a great idea" ...

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Hostess
Old June 30th, 2001, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Buffy,
Whatever your decision, don't let anyone's opinions make you feel that this site would ever want to hurt someone's feelings. I know how a mother can be (being one myself), I started taking my son when he was 6, he had a wonderful time.
Have a great time whatever you decide, and come back and let us know how it went.
Cher
Old July 2nd, 2001, 10:12 PM
Lanz

Have a great time, we're taking the whole family, including our 2 yr old Grandson on Carnival next year. Forty of us are going age 2 to 72. Cruising is wonderful for a family reunion, everybody gets to be together and yet get some space when you need it.
Old July 3rd, 2001, 07:11 PM
slavearlen

Default Re: Dangerous topic...

Buffy, this is a very very sensitive topic. You will not like the answers so be careful when you ask.

Disney and Carnival welcome children so I would suggest you go on a cruise line that is designed for their enjoyment as well.

Celebrity is, in my opinion, for adults, and not designed for children. I would not want to take my child on a trip that is designed for adults. It would not be enjoyable for them and that is not fair.

I personnaly have raised my kids and love them more than air itself. But I cruise on Celebrity to have adult fun and to get away from all of that. It really bothers me when I have children at the table or around the pool. I might as well stay home. Usually what happens is Mommy and Daddy want to have fun too so the passengers end up babysitting.

Sorry!
Old July 5th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

One thing nice about extended family cruises is t hat there is always someone willing to watch t he little ones, mom isnt burdened with the full- time j ob!
Plus you picked a great line for cruising with the little ones.