Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2001, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie
Default Re: Why Do You All Hate Children

Why don't you go on a Disney cruise? I understand that there are lots of options for babysitters on board and of course activities will be geared for children. Some of my family members just took their 9 year old and 1-1/2 year old on a cruise. It sounded like they spent most of the time worrying about keeping an eye on the younger one constantly. They said next time they'll try Disney.
Old July 5th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Admiral

If you don't like to be around kids, gravitate to ships that have very few aboard -- WindStar, Renaissance, Holland America and none of the luxury lines (Radisson, Crystal) have kids aboard them. Certainly not toddlers. During the fall, spring, winter, you'll find few kids aboard Celebrity's ships.

This shouldn't be an issue for anyone. You simply avoid those ships which cater to families and cruise during periods when kids are in schools.
Old July 5th, 2001, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Anne, thats great advice, and one which seems so simple, but so many people cant f igure out!
THis thread seems to be equally divided between people who enjoy taking kids on cruises, but really think 2 years old i s too young, and people who don't want any kids on cruises.
Old July 5th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Barbara ...

Excellent analysis. I think the original question revolved around the age of the child (2) who was too young for a children's program on Celebrity and would require constant vigilance by the parents.

For those who DO like children, the general thought was that two is too young, both for the child and the parents. A lot of experienced parents and experienced cruisers held that view.

For those who don't like children aboard, almost any age under 30 is too young.

The question came down to toddlers, not children in general. Some people did seem to miss the main point.

I've met lot of young parents whose young'uns had a blast in the kids' programs; they almost forgot they had the kids with them.

Not too long ago, a grandmother posted asking about the wisdom of taking 1.5 year old twins on a cruise with their mom and dad. The advice -- again from experienced parents and experienced cruisers -- was not to do it. That lady decided on an alternate vacation and said that cruising could wait until they're older.

I'm with Anne. If you don't want kids around, go on a ship where it's unlikely that there will be children.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Hostess and Mother of Four
Old July 5th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

One story about cruising with kids popped into my memory bank.

We were on the Carnival Destiny a couple of years ago doing back to backs. Beginning of the second week, we were sitting at a table outside on the lido deck watching our new cruisemates arriving.
A young couple with two twin boys 3 years old, and cute as buttons, sat at the table next to us. The dad went off to get some food and drinks, mom turned her head for a minute and the boys took all the table top condiments (salt, ketchup packs, sugar, etc) and "moved" them off the table.
As mom went to her knees to pick up the various items, I replaced ALL the condiments from our table onto theirs to keep the boys entertained.
When mom had finished picking those up as well, she gave me a very appreciative look for helping out..
Of course, after that we had lots to talk about, and they were a delightful couple, and the boys always provided a good laugh when we saw them during the rest of the cruise.
Regards,
Kuki
Old July 5th, 2001, 08:12 PM
sailinglisa

I must preface this by saying I love kids. I think they are adorable and are such windows to the world. That being said, I think 2 is too young to be taken on a cruise. In addition to being out of familiar surroundings, they are also at the stage where they are testing their independence....I think we all can relate to the terrible two's. The terrible two's are caused by a toddler's need to assert independence from "authority" (ie: momma and daddy). Unless one has family members going along who would be willing to watch the child for periods of time (or are able to arrange for private babysitting since most children's programs won't accept two years olds who are NOT potty trained) they will spend the whole cruise revolved around the child. I think cruising is a wonderful experience for a child, but 2 is too young to appreciate it.