Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori
Default Celebrity Infinity to Alaska

We are taking the Celebrity Infinity Alaska Inside Passage cruise in September. Any comments on this cruise, positive or negative? Also, any advice on which excursions to take or to avoid would be GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Celebrity Infinity to Alaska

I am going on the that VCruise Aug. 24 I will post when I come back.
Old July 13th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lots of interesting things to see on an Alaska cruise. Ketchikan--totem pole tour
or great walking tour through the town. Juneau--Mendenhall Glacier, either tour or
local bus, helicopter trip to glacier and ice field, tram trip up the mountain near
the pier. Skagway--great railtrip over the Whitepass railroad, with spectacular
scenery, also interesting walking tours through the town.Glacier Bay or Hubbard
Glacier--this is a cruising day, but one of the most spectacular sights you will
ever see. Usually fairly windy and cool, so be prepared with jackets and gloves.
The 2-3 hour bus trip from Seward to Anchorage goes through some very
pretty mountains. You will enjoy Alaska--we have been there four times, and are
planning another visit in May, 2002 aboard the Summit ENJOY,ENJOY
Old July 14th, 2001, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Hi Lori: I'm sailing Infinity 9/7, are you on that one too??
Old July 15th, 2001, 12:28 AM
Passenger

HI Lori,

You will love it!. We just got off ship a week ago. Excellent ship.
Great food, great employees, great drinks and ports of call.

We had weather that ranged from the mid-60's to the low 70's but in september
I guess it can be pretty cold, so bring those gloves.

We didn't do the shore excursions because we just wanted to concentrate on the ports of call. Everyone loved the Whiterail train in Scagway and pretty much everyone was happy with all the activity choices. If it were me, I'd stay away from activities which would get me all wet and cold. Somebody did kayaking or the like and they were sopping wet and miserable. I can't remember which port though.
Dog sledding was a bit hit. It costs $379 per person. If you buy it in town in Juneau it was only $329 p.p.
Old July 15th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Yeoman

The cruise is great. Bring a wide range of clothes. Shorts not required. I did the dogsled in Skagway. It was the best part of the trip. If you book it in Juneau, the weather is worse there so you may not get out (we did not). However, the helicopter trip to the glacier was fabulous in Juneau. The tram is not worth the money in Juneau (especially if you've taken an aerial view of Juneau). Not much at the top of the mountain. The White Pass Rail in Skagway is beautiful, especially if the weather is nice. Absolutely full of fantastic scenery. 3 hours long, fyi. I didn't hear any complaints of any of the other excursions, however, I wouldn't pass up the dogsled if you can spring for the $379 pp. I was never one for excursions but after filling my schedule with them in Juneau and Skagway, I wouldn't travel on a cruise without booking something from now on. You really get to see the area more than just from the boat or walk through town. Ketchikan didn't really offer any excursions of interest, and I didn't think I really missed anything. The shopping is the best there anyway.

On the ship, everything was fantastic. The shows are great, the food is good, the service is good. Make a reservations for the US restaurant as soon as possible. You might want to check with your dining room waiter for the menus for the week to find the best night to go to the US (that helped out a lot as we didn't want to miss the lobster). The spa really pushes products, and in my opinion, I was disappointed in my massage. My friend was also disappointed in her manicure/pedicure and thought it was a waste of money. She was happy with the hot stone massage though. Choose your services carefully, and be prepared for the hard sell.

Other than that, enjoy! I'd go back tomorrow if I could.
Old July 16th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Sue & Norm

Hi Jean (and Lori, too, I guess); We are going on the Infinity September 7th. We are from Southern California and will fly to Vancouver that morning. We have been on 11 cruises, but never on Celebrity...we've heard so much about the Infinity, so we thought we'd try it. First time to Alaska, too.