Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Phil Mcleod

Default Mercury Alaska 7/6-13

We went on the Mercury for the 7 day from Vancouver to Seward July 6-13, 2001. I read one review that said the Celebrity was not up to Voyager standards so I will accept their statement as I, my wife, 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son have limited prior experience on a cruise ship. We took the 3 day "Mickey" Big Red Boat out of Cape Canaveral when the kids were very young and they barely recall it. My wife and I have done the Nassau 3 day twice so this was our first full 7 day cruise. Take our review in stride with this in mind. The boat was great. Not too big and certainly clean. I do not recall one time I went through the ship that the crew was not cleaning or vacuuming or something. Cheryl's review on the Cruisemates web site noted that their waiter was not good. A friend three weeks before suggested Phillipe and we could not get him so by the luck of the draw we got Allin and Agus his assistant. They were fantastic. We sat at table 658 on the second seating and had four women in their 30s with us (we are mid 40s) who were having a great time and we joined right in. Allin knew he could loosen up a little and did so showing us all his fork balancing and straw tricks. No doubt they all have some of these but we even sat around with about 8 other cruisers after the scavenger party (which we won by yours truly dressing in a woman's bathing suit... not sure Bingo Bob the assistant cruise director had that one before) and showed them his tricks.

Food was not outstanding but service could not have been better and when our picky 14 year old had told Allin what types of food he did not like to eat, Allin remembered it each night and assisted him in choosing accordingly. Of course our kids (and probably my wife) wish to have 10-11 pieces of silverware at the dinner table each night now! Full appetizer, soup, sorbet, and dessert, and wow what desserts! The cruise entertainment staff was very good. Brian, Randy, Lexi, Robert and Julian were all enthusiastic. We had concerns about the reputation that Celebrity was for "older cruisers" (we probably qualify at 47) but there were plenty of young adults for both kids. We had wanted to stick together as a family and we could and the kids also felt they could go off on their own.

The web sites all had reviews of Infinity and Millenium so we were somewhat in the dark about Mercury. She was great. We were in 4145 and 4159 which were a little too far to the stern and probably over the engines. Reverse was a treat but no complaints on the roominess. We had to pack for a 14 day trip with unknown weather and so we had large suitcases and the room accommodated this easily. The steward Arcanje Alfonso could not have been better. He was there when we weren't and everything was there we needed. We had taken wine for our room and he brought a chiller for the bottles daily with extra ice, and wine glasses were replenished. The only sign of wear I saw was on the couch in the Voyager which had ripped but otherwise it was in good condition. Plenty if not too much to do and the scenery was fantastic. If the captain could get any closer to the Hubbard Glacier then you would have reached out. The announcer even noted that this was the closest she recalled getting to it and the calving was spectacular.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the Palm Grill buffet as it was easier and quicker. The waiters there were always willing to carry your tray and were offering coffee or drink refills everywhere. If you cannot be pampered on this boat then pay for the best penthouse, get your butler and do not leave your stateroom! I would love to cruise on the other Celebrity boats to compare them in the future but for now this was one great cruise.We went on the mercury for the 7 day from Vancouver to Seward July 6-13, 2001. I read one review that said the Celebrity was not up to Voyager standards so I will accept their statement as my wife, 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son have limited prior experience on a cruise ship. We took the 3 day Mickey Big Red Boat out of Cape Canaveral when the kids were very young and they barely recall it. My wife and I have done the Nassau 3 day twice so this was our first full 7 day cruise. Take our review in stride with this in mind. The boat was great. Not too big and certainly clean. I do not recall one time I went through the ship that the crew was not cleaning or vacuuming or something. Cheryl's review on the Cruisemates web site noted that their waiter was not good. A friend three weeks before suggested Phillipe and we could not get him so by the luck of the draw we got Allin and Agus his assistant. They were fantastic. We sat at table 658 on the second seating and had four women in their 30s with us (we are mid 40s) who were having a great time and we joined right in. Allin knew he could loosen up a little and did so showing us all his fork balancing and straw tricks. No doubt they all have some of these but we even sat around with about 8 other cruisers after the scavenger party (which we won by yours truly dressing in a woman's bathing suit... not sure Bingo Bob the assistant cruise director had that one before) and showed them his tricks.

Food was not outstanding but service could not have been better and when our picky 14 year old had told Allin what types of food he did not like to eat, Allin remembered it each night and assisted him in choosing accordingly. Of course our kids (and probably my wife) wish to have 10-11 pieces of silverware at the dinner table each night now! Full appetizer, soup, sorbet, and dessert, and wow what desserts! The cruise entertainment staff was very good. Brian, Randy, Lexi, Robert and Julian were all enthusiastic. We had concerns about the reputation that Celebrity was for "older cruisers" (we probably qualify at 47) but there were plenty of young adults for both kids. We had wanted to stick together as a family and we could and the kids also felt they could go off on their own.

The web sites all had reviews of Infinity and Millenium so we were somewhat in the dark about Mercury. She was great. We were in 4145 and 4159 which were a little too far to the stern and probably over the engines. Reverse was a treat but no complaints on the roominess. We had to pack for a 14 day trip with unknown weather and so we had large suitcases and the room accommodated this easily. The steward Arcanje Alfonso could not have been better. He was there when we weren't and everything was there we needed. We had taken wine for our room and he brought a chiller for the bottles daily with extra ice, and wine glasses were replenished. The only sign of wear I saw was on the couch in the Voyager which had ripped but otherwise it was in good condition. Plenty if not too much to do and the scenery was fantastic. If the captain could get any closer to the Hubbard Glacier then you would have reached out. The announcer even noted that this was the closest she recalled getting to it and the calving was spectacular.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the Palm Grill buffet as it was easier and quicker. The waiters there were always willing to carry your tray and were offering coffee or drink refills everywhere. If you cannot be pampered on this boat then pay for the best penthouse, get your butler and do not leave your stateroom! I would love to cruise on the other Celebrity boats to compare them in the future but for now this was one great cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Benjamin Smith

Default Re: Mercury Alaska 7/6-13

Phil,

Your review starts to repeat, something with the cut and pasting perhaps?

It's very iteresting, please repost it.
Old July 16th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Yeoman

Hi Phil, I just finished reading you review, and I agreed with it for the most part. the ship is a lovely ship, very clean, and staff very helpful. As I said, our waiter was ok, but not one of the the types that u had. I think it was because he was doing the job of both waiter and busboy, so he didn't have the time to be overly friendly and fun. we hav hadthat kind of waiter and busboy on previouscruises, and they really make the meal fun and enjoyable....Would I go on Celebrity again? Definately yes...But as I have said, it does not compare to the voyager, but it really isn't fair to compare, so I won't....Cheryl
Old July 17th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Phil Mcleod

My earlier post had repeating portion as I put it in as an attachment so I have re-posted with additional information under Mercury Alaska 2.