Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
First Mate

Default mille in feb 1st time

I have learned alot from reading post, Ist time cruiser from Pacific NW. Traveling with hubby celebrating 60th birthday and our 30 yr anniversary. Daughter 26 and Boyfriend joing us. Best suggestions for Shore excursions Eastern Carribean or should we do it on our own, snorkeing is major interest ? What do we do with our camera and wallets while in the water? We have great Wa. wine so sounds like OK to bring aboard and have in our rooms? Is black suit out of line for formal dinners for the guys, we dress pretty casual form PNW is just shirt and tie OK for informal ? Any other 1st time criuising info appreciated any tips on the ship will help too! Thanks Gloria
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: mille in feb 1st time

I've sailed the Millennium twice, most recently in Dec., and she's my present favorite for overall cruise experience. So I'd be surprised if you didn't love her.

Bringing wine onboard for in cabin consumption is no problem. If you want to have it served in the dining room, also no problem, but they do charge a corkage fee.

A suit is just fine for formal nights (frankly it doesn't even have to be dark).

For informal nights, the men could probably get away with a shirt and tie, but I highly recommend they pick up (if they don't own one already) a navy blazer. It's really the male equivelant to the female's LBD (little black dress). Never goes out of style, and can be worn for all sorts of different purposes.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: mille in feb 1st time

great ship, dont miss the production shows
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:34 PM
maxine

You will have a great time! The evening clothing you suggested will be fine.

We were on the Millenium two years ago in March and are going again this March.

Take sunscreen and hand sanitizer, and I always take my binoculars to look at shoreline from distance.

I am sure you know this, but shampoo and hair dryer are provided; one less thing to pack.
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Passenger

Gloria,
Congrats on your first cruise. You will totally enjoy Millie. We have sailed her twice. Last was in May in the Med for 12 days. We too are doing the eastern April 1 (Summit) Been a few years since we were last there. As far as your money/camera, etc while snorkeling, we you can buy money pouches (waterproof) that hang around your neck. (check your local sporting goods store) They are just the right size to hold your ID, money, etc. As for a camera, we have purchased "underwater" disposable ones for just such occassions. That way we can keep them with you in the water. They take pretty good pictures as a rule both underwater and out of the water. Plus, you don't want to take the chance of ruining your good camera equipt with sand,etc.
Hope this helps, again, have a wonderful time!
p.s. Happy 30th!! We are celebrating our 35th.

charlie/betty
Old January 29th, 2005, 01:05 AM
FyrBoss

Gloria...we just finished our first cruise aboard the Millennium in the Eastern Caribbean and I had many of the same questions as you prior to our departure. You're right on with the clothing, I had rented a tux from the Celebrity web-site and it was delivered to the room the afternoon of the 1st formal night. I had no jacket, don't like jackets, and opted to go long-sleeve and tie for the semi-nights and got along just fine...the room is sooooo fine and the service soooo good that my next cruise I believe I will "honor" the room and find a jacket but felt completely ok the way I was too. Casual nights were polo and Dockers, down to jeans(uagh) and tee shirts...hope that's not a trend.

on our port-days, we never booked a ship excursion...I'm sure they won't want that getting around but found, with the help of this board, that we really didn't need them.

We found a lovely lady captain on St.Thomas that I can whole-heartedly recommend (www.sailwinifred.com) for a fantastic day of sailing and snorkeling off St.Johns. If you book her, tell her Jeff sent you...I loved it! I had no fear leaving my stuff with her on her boat as we snorkled...but common sense tells you to NOT take more than you'll need with you that day....the staterooms offered a great digital safe we stored all our "extra" cash in.

I'd love to share more Millennium info with you if you'd like, just pop me an email and I'll talk your leg off!