Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2001, 07:49 PM
David and Todd

Default Dinner Attire

Celebrity has Casual, Informal, and Formal dining nights. What is typical for "Informal" We rented tuxedo's for the Formal nights. According to the brochure, suits should be worn on informal nights!! Is this for real?
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2001, 08:43 PM
donnajo

Default Re: Dinner Attire

You can wear a sport jacket on informal nights, it doesn't have to be a suit. Casual is dockers and a polo shirt. Celebrity seems to be a little dressier than some ships I've been on (RCCL, NCL, Princess and Celebrity). Quite classy actually. You will love to people watch! Happy Sailing!
Old August 8th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I agree with the first response. I usually bring my tux for the formal and a suit or suits for the informal, alot of people wear sports jackets and dockers or dress pants. Probably about 45% wear tuxes for the formal and 45% suits and the other 10% just don't want to dress up. I enjoy it actually, my job is quite casual so dressing up feels more classier.
Old August 9th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Robie

Just got back from a 14 night cruise. Not very dressy. I brought the wrong clothes. I just downgraded my wardrobe. Formal clothes are not as formal as you'd think. I wore a short black crepe dress on the first formal night. Was I glad that I did. Had I worn a long gown, I would have stood out in the crowd. Most people did not wear tuxedos. My husband wore his, but says that he'll never bring it again. We've cruised for years. Each cruise is more casual than the last. In formal nights are what casual used to be. I even worn jeans to dinner on two nights - one of which was an informal night ( I didn't realize it was an informal night until after dinner when I reread the daily sheet - I didn't feel out of place.) On informal nights, if you wear a suit you'll look out of place. You may want a tie and jacket for formal nights. Other nights are "smart" casual. Trust me. If I had known this, I could have left one suitcase home. Save the formal clothes for the next wedding... in this day, maybe not even then. Enjoy and relax. No dress code, please!
Old August 9th, 2001, 09:32 AM
AR

You might as well burn the tux, you won't need it for weddings these days either.

We have invitations to two weddings in the next few weeks. The first is in a park with the reception in a pool hall. The second has announced a Hawaiian Luau theme. The wedding will occur after dinner in a very good Italian restaurant. (I'm betting they'll serve pineapple lasagna). Everyone is asked to dress in Hawaiian shirts and muu muus and to "get ready to get lei'd." Responses are to be sent via e-mail to the bride, aka "Hawaiian Princess." And lest you wonder, this is taking place in the Eastern megalopolis, nowhere near Hawaii. And so it goes.

Celebrity has tried to maintain a more traditional cruise dress code, but evidently it's a losing fight. I suspect it's adhered to more in the Med and Alaska than in the more informal atmosphere of the Carib.

I saw an article recently that says the casually dressed society spawned by the dot-com geniuses may be reversing itself. Now that the dot-com world is bust, those in it (and formerly in it) are looking for ways to stand out in a crowd. Seems one of the answers is business attire.

The pendulum swings. . .

AR
Old August 9th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Admiral

For informal nights, my husband -- who enjoys getting dressed as well as getting undressed (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) wears "the uniform".

Blue blazer, shirt, tie, and appropriate trousering. You can't go wrong with it.

As to the ladies, I would not be caught by anyone wearing anything close to a ball gown on a cruise ship. Less is more. The faithful "LBD" (Little Black Dress) or neat silks with interesting jewelry is Just Fine.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor and Clothes Pony (too small to be a horse)
Old August 9th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Paul and Joe

Hi guys,
Use the ship's recommended attire as a guideline, but feel free to do what you want. I do wear a tuxedo on formal nights, and enjoy doing so. Informal for me is usually a sportcoat and slacks with shirt and tie, or a mock turtleneck or silk t-shirt. Casual is usually khaki pants and maybe a polo shirt. Uhnless it's a barbeque on deck, jeans are out of place.
Yes, it seems generally to be getting more casual, but use your personal style and preferences. Wear what you are comfortable with.
We will be cruising from Rio to Valparaiso in January. I have been on several cruises, this will be my partner's first (except for his stint in the Navy, but "don't ask, don't tell)
If you really don't want to dress for dinner, there is usually the option of eating in the informal restaurant (grill or cafeteria line) or room service.
Have fun!
Old August 9th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Hampton, Sheila

I disagree with this..when I was on Century in April, I witness many ladies in ballgowns and men in tuxes..I would feel very underdressed in just a little black
dress...I buy a different cocktail dress everytime I cruise...and when I sail on the
Infinity in November, it will be over 20 cruises that I have enjoyed dressing up for..
Old August 9th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Paul and Joe

Well, I guess you can never have too many ballgowns!
Old August 9th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have six couples sailing in November on Infinity. All but one couple are cruise novices! Our experienced couple likes to dress up, and is recommending long gown or short dresses for formal, and short LBD for informal, with dressy casual for casual nights. We are all going with these suggestions. Tux's and suits for men on formal and informal nights. Will us women be over the top in fancy ball gowns?? Has there been a tendency towards less dressy?? Thanks!
Old August 9th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Admiral

This is the first I have read that Celebrity's cruisers are stepping down a notch in their dress finery. Robie did not say what ship he sailed on and the itinerary either. Being 14 nights maybe it was Europe and people did not care to bring along so many cloths. Our European cruise on Celebrity was traditionally dressy with many in gowns & tux. Informal is always a little difficult to define, but a sport coat with tie for the men and dress or nice pants suit for a lady is fine.
Bon Voyage
Old August 10th, 2001, 01:58 PM
hct

On Mecury this past March--formal was formal but a dark suit for men was fine..dressy dresses or pantsuits for the ladies. I was surpirsed tho" that informal was more dressy than my idea-as to what that would be--men wore jacets & women dresses The casual outfits ran a range but none were outright scrubbby... I think it's very flexible so tha anyone can be hapy wihtout offending others! We were happy to have packed better than previuosly--less is better!
Old August 10th, 2001, 03:04 PM
bobob

david and todd

have been on several celebrity and rccl ships most men wear a suit, tux or dinner jacket on formal nites, fro informal you can get away with a nice blue or black blazer which you can use with slacks or dockers, on casual nites most wear dockers, slacks and polo shirts think office casual can' t go wrong.

trends in last year so more office casual by younger people on all nites who just do not like to dress up.
i am sure you will be glad you rented the tux will make you feel like miilion bucks walking around the ship all dressed up.

as form gowns and black dresses i do not know how that sliped in their because i did not see any reference to them in your inquirery unless i didn't read betwwen the lines.
but go have a good time be yourself and i am sure that you will be cruising again
Old August 10th, 2001, 04:43 PM
David and Todd

You are correct....no gowns or black dresses here
Old August 10th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Carole Dunham

I agree Paul and Joe. I love to get dressed to the nines on formal nights and I don't care a hoot what other people think of my getting all gussied up. I just ordered a new one today. On Royal I will take two long gowns a long black one that depending on what I wear with it, can either be semi-formal or informal. I bought a grand shawl to wear with it on formal nights. I love to do this since my life in Miami consists of shorts in the summer and equally casual pants and tops in the winter. Cruising lets me fly.

Carole
Old August 11th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Propro

I agree that some cruisers love to dress up, some don't. I'm one that splits the dress code into two categories - formal and casual. Formal is always a dark suit. Informal and casual nights are always business casual - dockers and a buttoned shirt. First night might be bermuda shorts - I'm never sure if my luggage is going to appear before dinner! :-) I've never felt out of place on informal nights, and that includes Princess and Celebrity cruises. Wear what feels comfortable, and enjoy your trip!