Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ironing Clothes on INFINITY

Hi,

We are cruising on the 8/24/01 sailing of Infinity. As some of you may know, there are no irons on board the ship. The only way to do ironing on the ship is to send the clothes to be pressed with costs money (that's a lot of clothes and a lot of money!).

A couple of years ago, we brought our own iron and blew the fuse in our cabin!

We are just wondering how you have gotten around this problem. We thought that bringing a travel iron might not blow the fuse??
We are going to be in Vancouver for a couple of days visiting family, so we can iron them just before we embark. ANY IDEAS??
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2001, 11:45 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Ironing Clothes on INFINITY

I brought a Black and Decker folding travel iron with me on the Mercury which worked out fine. Also lent it to others on our tour. No problems with fuses blowing. Since the more I travel, the less I pack, I also sent out clothes to be laundered which were returned in less than 24 hours. I thought the prices were very reasonable.
Old August 10th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Cruiser,
A good tip when packing is to use the plastic cleaner bags on all the good dresses, etc., it really works, haven't had to iron anything. I also just read that someone used that new spray downey on some clothes and it also worked well.
So, you can leave the iron at home :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 10th, 2001, 08:01 PM
chellie

The spray downy is a very effective product. Smells good too! If you combine the downy, drycleaning bags, and tissue paper you should have very little to iron. Hanging clothes in the bathroom with the shower up high on hot and the door closed also freshens clothes and eliminates wrinkles.
Old August 10th, 2001, 11:19 PM
Carole Dunham

The cruiselines all discourage the use of irons in cabins since they are one terrific fire hazard. A fire at sea is a nightmare. It's a good thing the Ecstasy fire happened while the ship was close to Miami and it's fireboats.

Carole
Old August 11th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Mary Jean

I want to second the hint on packing all clothes on hangers, covered with drycleaning bags. First of all, when you get your luggage, all you have to do is open it up and hang everything in the closet. This was the best hint that I ever received and it really works. Most items are in very good shape after being packed in this fashion. It seems that the clothes just shift in the luggage instead of sticking toghether and getting wrinkled. Another hint is to buy one of those travel steamers. Although, I brought mine on the past 3 cruises and have never had to use it because of the above mentioned packing method. Try it, you will be a believer too.
Old August 11th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

PLEASE - NO IRONS ON SHIPS - THEY ARE A FIRE HAZARD - DON'T PUT YOURSELF AND YOUR FELLOW CRUISERS AT RISK!!!!
Old August 19th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Rob H

AGREE.. no irons. safety has to be first.
We sent all my wifes dress's to be pressed on 2nd night and had back next for $15..You do have to send in by 9am to return next day or you pay 1.5 for same time
She was happy and I ws happy

The articles about dry cleaning bags are right and once you hang things up.. all is fine..