Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Al Neill (Zymus)

Default San Juan Airport Security?

Hello all.

My wife and I are booked on the Galaxy, Oct 12 out of San Juan.

Having never been to Puerto Rico, I wonder how safe it is in the airport there. Yes I realize PR is part of the US, but then again, so is Logan airport.

Thanks,
Al
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2001, 08:20 PM
hctjdc

Default Re: San Juan Airport Security?

Glad you are asking. We are not traveling that soon but have the same ques. Where are you leaving from?
Old September 15th, 2001, 01:38 AM
bobbysocks

I will be cruising out of San Juan in January and I too am concerned about security at the airport as well as on ships. This a.m. two men were taken off of the Carnaval Fascination after it docked in Miami - one detained because there was a warrant out on him somewhere in Europe pertaining to terrorism. (go to main page on this site for article.)

So that tells me the cruise lines don't check passports before boarding only when disembarking. I don't like that at all. That's leaving the cruising industry wide open to problems.

Now here comes the paranoid part of me -- I would like to know if these two guys were traveling together or were there more people to their group? If it was together, would there be other motives other than just cruising especially because one of them had a warrant out on him for terrorism?

God Bless America
Old September 15th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Jose G.

Being part of the US, all federal rules & regulations apply in the island. Therefore, the very same security measures in-place in the US mainland are now in full force at all airports in the island.

I understand that passengers are experiencing very long delays just trying to gain access to the airport in San Juan. The airlines are recommending arrival at least 4 hours before departure.

I would not be overly concerned about flying in or out of San Juan -- no more than flying in the US!
Old September 15th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Doneen

Actually our experience has been that it is much tighter than some of ours. When we were there, you had to have your ticket to get in the main part of the airport. ( My mom had ours and we were to meet at the gate but could not get in the secured part without a ticket so had to sit and wait for 2 hours ) At airports here all you do is get scanned. Later when I wanted to go out and buy a magazine, I had to have my ticket with me to get back to the gate. That was a couple of years ago.
Old September 15th, 2001, 10:24 AM
AR

Everyone has a choice to either continue living their lives or to crawl under a rock.

To the extent we crawl under rocks, the bad guys win.

I am not advocating imprudence, but fear without persepctive does neither the individual nor the nation any good in times like these.

There's no reason to think San Juan airport is any worse than any other airport. My son is an airline pilot and he lived there and flew out of there for about eight months a couple years ago. He said it was fine, and that that airport operations there, if anything, were better organized than many on the mainland.

Moreover, it's difficult to imagine anyone targeting San Juan for terrorist activities against America, since most Americans don't even know that it is part of our nation.

I suggest we all take a deep breath, keep our eyes open and our minds working, and go on with life.

I live in Arlington, VA, just a couple miles from the Pentagon, and that's what I'm trying to do.

AR
Old September 16th, 2001, 08:29 PM
bobbysocks

I wasn't thinking -- PR airports should be just as secure as ours but are the cruise lines as prudent.

As time passes I am becoming more relaxed about flying but I am concerned about cruising. I have 8 weeks before final payment is due and depending on what the cruise line say -- I want them to address what additional security measures they plan to put in place, if any.

God bless us all.
Old September 16th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Lillian

Hi:
Well I live in Puerto Rico and by this time our airport is very secure. They are checking all passengers and the people that work in the airport. I hope you don't have problems when you get here. Have a nice trip and God bless you.
Old September 17th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Passenger

Bobbysocks, I too hope that security improves. The thing to remember is that we should not know what all they are doing to improve. If everyone knows exactly what is done as far as security then it doesn't do a lot of good. Just lets the "bad" know how to go around everything. I'll just trust that the right things are being done because I believe that if people are determined enough they can do harm anywhere. Good luck and go with a positive attitude.
Old September 18th, 2001, 11:34 PM
bobbysocks

Lillian -- do you know what their plans are for security at the port -- which should become very active in a few weeks. I would appreciate you passing on any info you receive. Thank you.
Old September 20th, 2001, 02:18 AM
bobbysocks

Good point Trish -- the whole thing has rattled me to the bone. I have up until, I think, November 12thth to pay for the cruise and this should give me enough time to make my decision. The first cruise out of puerto rico is next week so
we'll see what happens.