Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2001, 04:02 PM
SuzieQ

Default Insurance & Bankruptcy ?

I just read Anne's article on buying insurance that covers the airline or cruiseline going out of business due to bankruptcy.

Is anyone else really worrying about this?
I never thought about it in the past.

Also, if you booked air through the cruise line and the airline they put you on goes belly-up, are you SOL or does the cruise line have to get you on another line?

If anybody can better inform me on HOW all of this works, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2001, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Insurance & Bankruptcy ?

Hi SuzieQ,
Its just a good idea to get 3 party insurance in case of bankruptcy, if you think about that, it does make sence. As for booking the cruise with the cruise/air, yes I would definately think the cruiseline would have to change your flights and get you there in case of an airline that goes belly-up.

We've had good luck with using CSA travel insurance so far, but (knock on wood) have never had to make a claim, but did read a post where someone actually had problems getting to the cruise and missed the first day, had to fly into Nassau to catch up with the ship and they did get prompt payment from CSA, so that was good to hear. Did you already get the travel insurance??

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 23rd, 2001, 05:49 PM
SuzieQ

It's complicated right now...

I have a deposit on a booking made through my TA back in June.
I don't have the cruiseline insurance because she gives us her agency's insurance for free. I just checked and it does not include bankruptcy.

I have a "hold" that I made directly with the cruise line for another cabin of the same cat on the same ship/itinerary/sail date because the price went down. My TA wasn't available and I didn't want to lose that cabin at a better price. I said yes to the $135 per person cruiseline insurance.

Now, I have to cancel the cruise line insurance on the new booking, make a deposit, transfer the booking from the cruise line to the TA and purchase travel insurance that includes Bankruptcy within 10 days of my deposit. Then, I have to cancel the original higher priced booking and seek refund on my deposit.

I feel like I have a second job as a Travel Agent! lol

I did get estimates around $400 for 2 adults...but I will check out CSA...do they have a website?
Old September 23rd, 2001, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi SuzieQ,
Here are the links for both CSA and TravelGuard:

<http://www.csatravelprotection.com/>

<http://www.travelguard.com/>

Good luck :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 24th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Do check out both sites and charges along with coverages. Both insurance companies have good reputations. I find Travelguard is a little more reasonable for us as we are in 2 different age groups and their price is based on the passengers age as well as amount of the cruise. Good Luck. Doing your own research may be exhausting, but you will be satisfied that you have done the right thing for you and yours.
Bon Voyage
Old September 24th, 2001, 08:51 PM
SuzieQ

My mother is still insisting that the Celebrity isn't going out of business and we have nothing to worry about. So, the basic insurance is fine. We put our deposit down today so I only have 7 days to decide if I want to just get it and not tell her. Otherwise we will have the basic insurance from the TA not the cruise line.
Old September 25th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Passenger

Just heard that Renaissance Cruises went belly up today. So I guess anything is possible. Weird, they just emailed me some specials last night too.
Old September 26th, 2001, 12:13 AM
clay b

Well, in light of Renaissance going Chapter 11 and cancelling all cruises, I think next cruise I WILL get insurance. We're booked on Millennium in November and did not buy insurance. Now I regret it. I think everything will be fine, and feel confident that Celebrity will not go Chapter 11, too. It's just that extra peace of mind for the extra piece of change. I think it would be worth it. IMHO

happy cruising.
clay b
Old September 26th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

As far as I know, it's not too late to purchase cruise insurance. I understand you can buy it up to the date of departure.