Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Missmac

Default Celebrity Mercury South America

We have signed up for a January cruise to south South America - around Cape Horn from Santiago to Buenos Aires. I can't find very much information on reviews/messages on this cruise on either Celebrity or other cruise lines? Has anyone been on this cruise? Information please.......... Missmac
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2001, 11:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Celebrity Mercury South America

Missmac,
There is VERY little on any of the boards regarding South America. We are booked on Mercury, Rio to Valparaiso departing Rio on 1/6/02. Just remember that the temperature range will be great. You can expect 80's in Valparaiso and again in Buenos Aires, but it is likely to be in the 50's when you round Cape Horn. Also, because it is summer, the days will be very long, nearly 18 hours of sunlight. The seas can also be rough around the cape. There is a good chance that you will encounter some rain.
We have gotten some good information doing a good search using one of the web search engines-- yahoo, google, etc. Search under the names of each of the ports/areas you'll be visiting. Remember also to search under "Patagonia" "Ushuaia" "Tierra del Fuego" and "Peninsula Valdes" I would be happy to share the sites I have found with you.
You will also find that there are far fewer guide books available for South America. I have found the "Insight Guide" for each country and major city to be very informative. Your local bookstore or travel bookstore might have them, and I know Border's carries them. You can probably also find them on Amazon.com.
Part of what attracted us to this itinerary is the incredible variety of what we'll be experiencing. This is definitely not what you would get on a Carribbean ininerary.
We are looking forward to a real adventure.
Old September 25th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is a wonderful South America review at this site:

http://www.cruisereviews.com/princess/Royal.htm
Old September 25th, 2001, 05:53 PM
missmac

Thanks, Robert and Paul for the information. That certainly is a "mega" review! I'll check out some book stores too. Paul, please send me some of the sites you have found. Thanks Missmac
Old September 27th, 2001, 12:14 AM
cruzdiva

Missmac, you may want to e-mail erniemcc since he did a Mercury cruise from Rio de Janeiro to Valparaiso last year.

Carole
Old October 5th, 2001, 03:08 PM
marissa

Hi
Doing Mercury South America on 6 january 2002 - would like to know if anybody has any info on safety issues in rio-we've been warned that it's prettty bad.Have found it INCREDIBLY difficult to find a good travel guide on SAmerica.Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
marissa