Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2001, 08:37 PM
First Mate

Default Friends of Dorothy

Summit cruise Oct. 12.
Looking to meet like minded people and make new friends.
Feel free to respond to this message and be sure to check out the message board on ship for a rendezvous.
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Friends of Dorothy

What are "like minded friends"??? Am I missing something here? lol
Old September 26th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Beginner

Default Who is Dorothy???? nm

none
Old September 26th, 2001, 10:09 PM
First Mate

Hi Jim,
Looks like some people don't know who friends of Dorothy are. You might also try the "people" section of this board.
Old September 27th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Steven

Ah HELLO!!?? "Friends of Dorothy" means "other gay men". Anyone who does not know the term shouldn't ask!
Old September 27th, 2001, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Excuse me, Jim, but yes, they should ask if they don't know.

Paul
Gay man, San Francisco
Old September 27th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

And just why shouldn't one ask. If you don't know what it means ( and I didn't ) then you don't know if it is something that you should ask about. These boards are for information and we get most new info from asking questions. No need to be rude.
Old September 27th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Stanley

means other gay men......chit now I am really confused.....lol code???? oh well, to each his own........sometimes I think I have lesbian tendacies cause I like women.......live and learn..........cruise on dude!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 27th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Stanley

means other gay men......chit now I am really confused.....lol code???? oh well, to each his own........sometimes I think I have lesbian tendacies cause I like women.......live and learn..........cruise on dude!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 27th, 2001, 09:18 PM
susu

what's next,,have fun,,but hook up on your own time,,can we leve these boards to general questions,,,geesh@
Old September 27th, 2001, 09:20 PM
First Mate

wouldn't friends of jim, be more appropriate?
Old September 28th, 2001, 12:20 AM
Sealover

Lighten up folks,life is too short as we all well know. To settle it once and for all so that if you don't know,it means what another poster said, "means other gay men".
Old September 28th, 2001, 12:28 PM
cruzdiva

I see "who are the friends of Bill W." all the time and I always answer that it's AA meetings. Let's face it, human beings are eternally curious and we always want the answers to everything.

Carole
Old September 30th, 2001, 05:31 PM
SuzieQ

Okay...you've just seen examples of attitudes that are innocently unaware or downright intolerant...so, why would anyone just assume that Jim was looking to "hook up" via these message boards?

His post was classy and discreet.

Heck, he didn't even come back to try to define "friends of Dorothy" for you.

In all probability, he was just looking to meet people with whom he (and perhaps his partner/husband) could socialize with sans explanations of his private life.

I would think that it's just more enjoyable to be able to relax and be yourself if you were surrounded by "like minded" people...so why not seek those folks ahead of time. Why is this such a hard concept?...You read about hetrosexual couples exchanging emails, meeting on the ship, having dinner and drinks and introducing their teenagers all the time.
Old October 1st, 2001, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Brava, SuzieQ!!!
Old December 28th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Friends of Dorothy

I love the "Friend's of Dorothy" bit. No, Toto, we're NOT in Kansas anymore.

As far as the "Friend's of Bill W" goes, Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith were the two first members of AA. Sometimes we alcoholics use the phrase "are you a friend of Bill's?" in an attempt to determine if so-and-so is a member of AA. I guess I could say to a person in question..."excuse me, are you friends with Bill and Dorothy?" to determine is the dude's a gay alkie.

Old December 29th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Kathy Clark

I too had never heard that term before. I was wondering where it originated from so I did a search. Apparently it is unclear how that term came into existance, but here is a question/answer from an article I found (it is referencing a previous question, but you'll get the drift)

Regarding your recent letter from "Friend of Dorothy" (7/19/02): I've heard this phrase used to describe someone who's gay, but you — and most people — seem to believe "Dorothy" refers to Dorothy Gale, the character played by Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz. My own belief is that it refers to Dorothy Parker, drama critic/writer for Vogue, Vanity Fair and The New Yorker and a founding member of the Algonquin Round Table. Widely published in the '30s and '40s, Parker was very popular in gay circles, perhaps because of her flippant, sarcastic style, which some might call *****y. Was it Parker?

Set Me Straight

Straight: Gay, gay, gay — is that all anybody wants to talk about? Yeah, me too. I've heard about the Dorothy Parker possibility before. I've also heard about the Dorothy King possibility. King was a London socialite back in the day — Oscar Wilde's day, I believe. And because so many of her friends were...that way, they came to be known collectively as "Friends of Dorothy." So the theory goes, anyway. But I've never seen any "true" anecdotal evidence for that theory. Neither have I seen any "true" anecdotal evidence for the Parker theory. By "true" anecdotal evidence, I'm referring to diaries, journals, memoirs, etc. I went to the library and browsed through the slang dictionaries, and the only one that even mentioned the phrase "Friend of Dorothy" credited it to The Wizard of Oz and cited the '50s as its decade of origin.

"Friend of Dorothy" served a very useful function in its time. At parties where straights and gays mixed, you could discreetly ask a guy whether he was a friend of Dorothy's, and if he got a confused look on his face, you knew you had your work cut out for you. Alternatively, if he winked and said, "A close friend," the two of you could start dishing right then and there. Today, with everybody out and about, the phrase isn't needed as much, which is a good thing since many young gay men I've spoken to had no idea what it means. And sometimes they're even a little fuzzy on Judy Garland! "She sang ‘Over the Rainbow'," I tell them, "married three or four gay men, died of a drug overdose." Nothing. "Liza's mom?" Still nothing. God, I'm old.