Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2001, 05:09 PM
Talliho

Default Ensenada - San Diego transfer - time?

I just saw a post on another board that border crossing is taking 3 to 4 hours! I was already concerned because Celebtiry changed me to a noon flight out of San Diego when my 3:00 was cancelled by NWA, considering the travel time, security through the airport and doing all this with my 80 year old Dad. I thought I'd heard that cruise transfers weren't taking so long since no one was readlly "in" Mexico and the cruise line had done some prior clearance. Any info on cruise transfer time, and delays to expect at the San Diego airport, will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2001, 07:50 PM
Frank

Default Re: Ensenada - San Diego transfer - time?

You probably read my earlier post. Today the border wait was only 1 hour. But.. this may not be normal yet. U.S. customs officials just started enforcing the new "Laser" visa card program. And many people who regularly cross the border do not have them so they are not crossing the border. If you get off the ship by about 8:00AM or so you should be fine. But, if things really heat up again with the military, it may slow down again.

http://www.uniontrib.com/news/mexico..._1m2visas.html
Old October 5th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Godfather

As Frank said, if you can be on your way to San Diego by 8:00am,and I doubt it, you would have a good chance to be at the airport by your appointed time. Remember, there will be security delays at the airport.
Best bet, fly out later in the day. Believe me, you are in Mexico. Many do not like gringos.
Enjoy your cruise. Hope your Dad enjoys his.
Old October 9th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Pooh Bear

GET A LATER FLIGHT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Having said that: We did Infinity Hawaii in April. The return trip by bus up the coast to SD was about 3 hours - Taking into account that the restroom on the bus did not work and we had to stop at a service station so that 50+ folks could get off and then back on - then the wait at the border was really long.

We had a 3:00 flight out of SD and I think we got to the airport around 1:30 p.m.

However, things at the border could move more quickly - but my guess is that with everything happening it will be slowed down.

Good luck - it is a lovely drive (for about the first 25 miles or so....personal opinion) and we kind of enjoyed it. Just give yourself time - don't let yourself get rushed.

Enjoy your cruise - envy you!

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old October 15th, 2001, 10:06 AM
jp garnier

Did Hawaii in April on Millie and came back into Ensenada. The bussing was fine but the border crossing even then was horrible (about 2 hours). I presume that it is even worse now. It did not help my psyche at all to rent a car in SD only to find Millie all tied up and waiting for the arrival of travel agents. Great ship and great trip and it probably would help if the bus driver knew how to get through Tijuana. Enjoy, jp garnier