Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Saxana

Default Lesbians on Cruise

Hi, I want to take my girlfriend on a cruise but am a little afraid to. I am very "butch" ...in dress and mannerism. Will people treat us nicely. I am a nice person but sometimes people make me feel uncomfortable. I dont like being stared at even though I understand why people do. Please help...I want to do something nice for my beautiful lady but don't what it to be a negative experience for us. We show our affection for eachother in public...ie hug kiss. Will we be accepted?
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Man

Default Re: Lesbians on Cruise

sorry but i would stare if you 2 started swapping spit in public
Old October 18th, 2001, 08:25 PM
hctjdc

Wouldn't bother me--we have all kinds of couples in our family tree. However, my personal sensibilities are offended by any prolonged public affection beyond holding hands by couples of any gender... You'll probably be so busy doing stuff that these issues won't be as pronounced as you think .I guess alot depends on who you are seated with at dinner & who you meet along the way! Happy cruising.
Old October 18th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Some will and some won't, much as it is in everyday life, but much depends on what you mean by "...ie hug kiss". The typical passenger list of a cruise ship will contains every type of person that you can imagine, and there will always be those who are offended some type of behavior. I once sat at a table for eight where a militant vegetarian found my steak offensive and decided to make an unpleasant issue of it...

Personally I prefer that people do their serious canoodling in the privacy of they cabins, but that includes everybody, whatever their orientation. On the other hand I'm always touched by couples who stroll around the deck hand in hand because I'm a rather hopeless romantic. (There's a particulary obnoxious program on cable at present where a blind date takes place on a Carnival cruise, and the participants have to spend three days together. On one program the newly-met couple were more or less simulating some rather unusual acts on the dance floor. The other passengers in the background of the shot didn't looked shocked, but they did appear a little frightened.)

On every cruise you ever take you there will always be same-sex orientation couples and singles; you may not know who they are (then again, you may!) but they're there, trust me. One option you might want to check out for you and your significant other is the Olivia Cruises website, which specializes in women-only cruises and vacations (http://www.oliviatravel.com).

Final thought: I wouldn't spend a great deal of time worrying if others will accept you or not. Some will, some won't, and for the most part there's not too much you can do about that. Do some research on the cruise lines, talk to travel agents, ask all your friends -- someone will know someone else who's been on a cruise, and they'll be glad to talk about it, and I mean GLAD, it's like some affliction we all
have -- and then decide when, where and with who you want to cruise.

There's no other vacation like it!
Old October 19th, 2001, 02:16 AM
Carole Dunham

I've sailed Celebrity three times and have found gays on all sailings. I also found that no one paid any more or less attention to them. Celebrity seems to be a very gay friendly line, or so it always seemed to be to me. I agree with Ken though, no overt behavior by anyone works well.

Carole
Old October 19th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Mike C

I have had the same experience as Carole in terms of every cruise there have been gay and lesbian couples. On our last cruise there was a table of four men who did kiss occaisionally. I believe that Celebrity will seat you together for dining if you request it. I live in San Francisco Area so I would prefer if you sat at my table as we would have plenty to talk about. However the ships tend to be filled with East Coast and midwest passengers. New Yorkers are very vocal about what they don't like and people from the midwest would run from you like they could catch it or something. But if you book on a Millie class vessel there is plenty of space for all to enjoy. So go enjoy!!
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Saxana

Default Thanks :) nm

mmmm
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Hi, Saxana ...

You might also want to check out the Gay and Lesbian area under "People" here on CM.

Personally, I have no problem at all with same-sex couples. I don't think most people do these days if they have an IQ over room temperature level.

If you are concerned and caring enough to post your question here, I doubt that your "butchness" would be so extreme as to cause negative comments or attitudes among other passengers. Women travel together all the time and nobody thinks anything of it unless the women want to make an issue of it.

What is of concern is your question about "PDA" -- public displays of affection. If I'm catching up with my husband after some activity or another, we usually kiss each other hello, but it's the quick peck kind of thing. I also kiss women. In-depth face time is another story, and I've been known to mumble, "Get a room, kids."

So, if there were to be any lack of acceptance, my thought is that it would be more about PDA. Really, I don't care what anyone does or who they do it with so long as I don't have to watch it.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 21st, 2001, 01:01 PM
First Mate

Saxana,
My partner and I will be cruising Rio to Valparaiso in January 2002. This will be his first, but I have cruised before, both as a single and as the other half of a couple. On most cruises, you'll find other gay people who you might enjoy. Also, there is usually a wide variety of passengers and I have ALWAYS found interesting people-- gay and straight. Yes, there probably is the occasional lughead, but you'll find that anywhere. The other postings have pretty much summed up the issue of PDA, so I won't add my two cents. Just go and have a good time!

Paul and Joe
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Smooth Operator

you sound really nice Ken....