Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2001, 09:56 PM
cricket55

Default Margarita Island extra port on Galaxy

My TA just called to tell me that Margarita Island has been added as an extra port to the Galaxy cruise on Nov 9th.

I'd appreciate any info anyone can provide about this port (best beaches, sights, excursions, advice, etc.) Thanks.

She also said she had clients leave on the Summit today (Category 6) that booked a guarantee in Feb and didn't get an upgrade. Seems surprising in light of all the half-empty ships we're hearing about, doesn't it? Has anyone else been hearing about whether upgrades are happening often or not?
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:54 AM
clay b

Default Re: Margarita Island extra port on Galaxy

I'm hearing that ships are cruising with 80-90% capacity.

happy cruising
clay b
Old October 23rd, 2001, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Cricket, check out other Celebrity forums (cruisecritic.com) as well as messages posted since Saturday 10/20 regarding Margarita Island. Also, go to margaritaonline.com for some information. Kuku, wrote a very factual recap on the port. We go on 11/2 and if I decide to go on land, I will book a ship's tour just to be safe!
Bon Voyage.
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:28 AM
Admiral

Default Nanatravel

Where can I find Kuki's recap on the Island?
Thanks
Old October 24th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Nanatravel

Rick, check out the thread titled, Galaxy, Margarita Island. Last post was 10/22. It is in the middle. I have visited Venezeula (Caracas) and was really excited for the expereince. I would never do it again nor recommend the trip even though we were on a ship's tour. The island of Margahita is a resort area, but as poor as most of Venezeula. If we get off of the ship in two weeks, I will only do a ship's tour. No need to take unnessesary chances with safety and reliability of taxi drivers. When do you sail? Check back with me mid-November for an update.
Bon Voyage= Galaxy 11/2
Old October 24th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Nanatravel

Thanks Nanatravel, after reading your advice and others, we too plan on only a ships tour there. We sail Dec 14 2001 Galaxy. Thanks again for your advice.
Semper Fi
Rick and Deb

PS...will check back for an update as per your post..Thanks
Old November 4th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Bob

All,
We just returned from 10/26 sailing on Galaxy. We had read that Playa El Agua was a beautiful beach. Well it is. Rolling surf on a huge beach. Would I spend an hour taxi ride each way again? Probably not. They tried to talk us into El Yunque (sp) which is closer but we decided against it. However, there are no beaches ( or anything for that matter) really close to where the ship docks. They are building a new pier but for now, dock is the cargo pier . We never went into town. I never felt unsafe as far as crime but the taxis are a little scary. Mostly vintage 70's vehicles of American make. Remember the 79 Chevy Caprice you traded in 15 years ago? It lives on Margarita Island. See my cruise review at cruisecritic.com under cruise reviews.

Bob
Old November 5th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Syd

I also just returned from Galaxy 10/26 and I enjoyed Margarita Island. There is a very small beach near the pier and I had a fun time there. You could walk out quite a distance and still be only in waist-high water. Some fellow passengers took the $15 bus into town and they said they enjoyed it. There are a number of vendors right by the pier as well. I enjoyed my short stay there and hope to go back when the new pier is built.